Author Topic: Help needed with 5yr Brick Wall  (Read 9254 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed with 5yr Brick Wall
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 30 May 06 12:56 BST (UK) »
Carol

I have a theory. I've been looking on both the 1841 and 1851 for Margaret and David McBurnie in both Scotland and E&W. They are not there. I also looked for births of McBurnies in Troqueer and surrounds in 1832 - none.

Now, this is what might have happened:

Margaret & David had a child but they died and the child was 'adopted' by Mary and John and called after the father.
or
Margaret and David emigrated.

Neither the Sp site nor the IGI have death info for this early period. I've looked at my MIs for Troqueer (don't have Dumfries) and there is nothing but this doesn't signify as they might not have had headstones (not many of mine did).
The only way to test this out is to look, or have someone look for you, at the the Parish records for deaths (not always recorded).

I note that on the 1851 and 1861 Mary is down as 41 and 51, which might suggest a DoB of 1809 - 1810.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 30 May 06 13:11 BST (UK) »
Carol

I have a theory. I've been looking on both the 1841 and 1851 for Margaret and David McBurnie in both Scotland and E&W. They are not there. I also looked for births of McBurnies in Troqueer and surrounds in 1832 - none.

Now, this is what might have happened:

Margaret & David had a child but they died and the child was 'adopted' by Mary and John and called after the father.
or
Margaret and David emigrated.

Neither the Sp site nor the IGI have death info for this early period. I've looked at my MIs for Troqueer (don't have Dumfries) and there is nothing but this doesn't signify as they might not have had headstones (not many of mine did).
The only way to test this out is to look, or have someone look for you, at the the Parish records for deaths (not always recorded).

I've checked the census info for John and Mary 1841-1871 for their ages and think you should really consider the 1809 baptism for Mary:

1841 - both are down as 30 (i.e. 30-34 or 1807 to 1811)
1851 - John is 40 (1810-1811) Mary is 41 (1809-1810)
1861 - both 51 (1809 -1810)
1871 - Mary 65 (1805-1806)

There is a possible death for Mary Lawrie:
June Q, 1879, Halifax, Vol 9a, page 322 aged 71.

Gadget

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 30 May 06 16:18 BST (UK) »
Carol and Gadget

You could try checking this site for deaths recorded in the OPRs in Kirkcudbright:
http://www.old-kirkcudbright.net/genealogy/oprDeaths/index.asp

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 30 May 06 16:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks Monica -think I'll leave that for Carol  ;)

Online carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Edwin Stonehouse 1906-1970
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 30 May 06 22:07 BST (UK) »
It all seems to fit. Thank you Gadget for the new Leads. I am sure Margaret b 1806  and Mary b 1809 with parents James and Helen are mine so will pencil them in.
The Nov Marriage was in Dumfries. I went with that one as it was given to me by a Relie when i first started out on this Tree. The info I was given  was 4 Nov 1831 Troqueer, Dumfries. I have rechecked IGI this morning and the Nov Marriage reads Dumfries, Dumfries.

Monica: Already had that  site bookmarked. Will have a good look today.

Gadget. Your good friend Keith has McBurnie's on his website so will have a look and see if any thing matches.
Thank you for all your help
Regards Carol ( The New Zealand Carol )
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Stonehouse(York,Durham,Canada)Laurie(Scotland,York)Biddiss(All)Love(Scotland,Australia) Byers(Durham)Demaine(York)Dennison(York)Raine(Durham)Jefferson(Durham)Muir(Durham)
Johnston (Scotland)Hunter(Scotland)Johnson(York)
and many more.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 30 May 06 22:19 BST (UK) »

I have John Laurie married Mary Johnstone 4 Nov 1831 Troqueer and John Lawrie married Mary Johnstone 16 Oct 1831 Troqueer. One of these couples are mine.

Hi Carol
I think the above quote flumoxed me - I was only looking for marriages in Troqueer after you'd said this!

Just looked in Dumfries and found it - on SP and IGI. I now think the October one was possibly banns in Troqueer and it is the same couple - their names are not so common as to have two couples marrying within 3 weeks(normal time for banns) of each other.

Don't worry too much about parents/childrens' names. Although many followed a fairly regular naming convention, many didn't. I have one family who lept about with their naming and I'm still not sure where a 'Smith' middle name comes from in one of mine  ???

Gadget ;)

Online carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Edwin Stonehouse 1906-1970
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 30 May 06 22:39 BST (UK) »
Gadget. Just been talking to my Mum and John Laurie/Lawrie was born in Dumfies so it all makes sense.
If he was born Dumfries and she Troqueer would Banns be read in both Churches? If so we have our answer.
Many Thanks.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Stonehouse(York,Durham,Canada)Laurie(Scotland,York)Biddiss(All)Love(Scotland,Australia) Byers(Durham)Demaine(York)Dennison(York)Raine(Durham)Jefferson(Durham)Muir(Durham)
Johnston (Scotland)Hunter(Scotland)Johnson(York)
and many more.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 30 May 06 22:42 BST (UK) »
Gadget. Just been talking to my Mum and John Laurie/Lawrie was born in Dumfies so it all makes sense.
If he was born Dumfries and she Troqueer would Banns be read in both Churches? If so we have our answer.
Many Thanks.

Yes, banns would be read in both parishes.
i had a look at the Troqueer MIs and also most of the Johnstone's listed where from Dumfries (some shoemakers, I recall). If you get back more and they had a bit of money, give me a shout and I'll have a look.
I have all the KKD MIs but not the DFS ones.

Gadget