Author Topic: Should we include false information?  (Read 5225 times)

Offline suttontrust

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Should we include false information?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 31 May 06 22:55 BST (UK) »
One of the dangers is the perpetuating of mistakes.  We tend to upload our trees to sites in the first flush of enthusiasm.  It's not unknown to then find that we've made mistakes, got the wrong line, and had to start again.  If we've "given" our tree to some outfit like Ancestry we can't then amend it.  I still don't advocate putting deliberate mistakes in.  I think we should just warn newcomers about the hazards.
Godden in East Sussex, mainly Hastings area.
Richards in Lea, Gloucestershire, then London.
Williamson in Leith, Vickers in Nottingham.
Webb in Bildeston and Colchester.
Wesbroom in Kirby le Soken.
Ellington in Harwich.
Park, Palmer, Segar and Peartree in Kersey.

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 31 May 06 23:22 BST (UK) »
Like many of the replies I don't agree with deliberately introducing false information although I admit I fully understand the reasoning behind it.
Personally I limit the information I broadcast via the web and only when convinced of a connection do I "open up" and pass on my research to others (although again I tend to restrict it to the direct line connections).

Offline Michael72.

• RootsChat Senior
  • Getting back to my Roots.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 31 May 06 23:37 BST (UK) »

Disregarding the 'Payfornothing' Companies.......what I have found most annoying is when a distant Relly contacts you asking for info....they prove their relationship....you send them all you know and never hear another word.....nothing.....not a thank you....kiss my butt..nothing....

Has anyone else had this sorry experience??....... ;D

Michael72.
My email is not working sorry
GILBY, Lowestoft and Cleethorpes.
COO, Horncastle/Grimsby/Cleethorpes.
MADIN, Sheffield/Cleethorpes.
AYERS, Yorkshire, Grimsby/Cleethorpes.
Clark, Cheltenham, Hull, Cleethorpes.

Offline downside

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Make my day
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 01 June 06 00:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Michael

I haven't had your experience, usually people will provide info that can help grow your tree.

Having said that I'd say about 30% of the people I try to contact on GenesReunited never respond to my messages.  Maybe they should join genesunreunited?  They could sit there ignoring each other for the rest of time.  :)

downside
Sussex: Floate, West
Kent: Tuffee
Cheshire: Gradwell
Lancashire: Gradwell

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 01 June 06 05:14 BST (UK) »
I pretty well restrict myself to this site, where people do answer you.  As far as I am concerned, it is a model for the rest of the sites on the Net!

I agree that we shouldn't deliberately pass on false information, and I don't put trees on other sites.

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 01 June 06 07:29 BST (UK) »
I have had experiences of people ignoring me but that's their loss!!!!

One was to ask permission for the data from his website, which was also my line but in the end I checked it all out via various sites anyway so was it really taken from him?

I can see the point of putting false information on to a tree but I still wouldn't do it.

Kerry

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline polidor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 01 June 06 11:12 BST (UK) »
I only have my tree on G.R..  and i'm interested in the fact that quite a few of you have your tree in various places on the web.

Does my tree become available to any one else on the internet or just those registered with G.R?

I found through the Ancestry 'World Tree' 2 families who would seem to be connected to one branch of my own family. I contacted both of them and they have a lot of info going way back further than the info i've gathered so far. I'm waiting until i get 2 particular certificates through before i contact either of them again as these certs should hopefully confirm my connection to them--but--how can i be sure that what they have collected relates to my lot.
Short answer i suppose is that i cant. At least not without checking it all again myself  ::)
Behling---- London
Bridges---- London
Copperwheat----Bedfordshire---Norfolk
Denton----Bedfordshire
Edwards----Wales
Evans----N.Wales
Farrow----Norfolk
Hughes----N.Wales
Jones----Wales---Bedfordshire
Lambert----London
Larmouth/uth----London
Ostler----Norfolk
Sherwood----Bedfordshire
Silver----Bedfordshire---Suffolk
Smart----Leicestershire---Middx
Teagle----Buckinghamshire---Wales
Totterdell----Hampshire---London---Stoke-On-Trent
Woods----London

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 01 June 06 11:15 BST (UK) »
I have to say, without being disrespectful to anyone else, that when I first started I lapped up any information, bits of tree whatever I was given by various different people. 

Now I am more experienced, it is amazing the amount of mistakes I have found in their information once I have checked it myself.  So now everything I am given gets checked and double checked.

I am sure that others say the same about me, so I won't go on too much!!!

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline downside

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Make my day
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 01 June 06 11:18 BST (UK) »
Anyone can search GR and they can write to you without being a member, but they need to be a member to view your actual tree.

downside
Sussex: Floate, West
Kent: Tuffee
Cheshire: Gradwell
Lancashire: Gradwell

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk