Author Topic: Spot the difference  (Read 3793 times)

Offline downside

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Make my day
    • View Profile
Spot the difference
« on: Tuesday 30 May 06 20:12 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know if these 3 companies are owned by the same organisation:

Family Tree Maker
genealogy.com
ancestry.com

Once upon a time I bought a copy of Family Tree Maker version 6 and after entering about 200+ records it prompted me to submit my data to the World Family Tree program online.  Naively I said OK.

However for some reason I became curious to know what had happened to the data I submitted a few years ago so I tried to find it today.  From my FTM program I connected to the internet and I was thrown onto the genealogy.com site.  They then stated that if I wanted to look at the data I would have to pay a monthly /annual subscription.  Yes that is correct, you have to pay to see your own data that you spent time and money on researching.

Since I do not remember anyone form FTM telling me that some company was going to own my data and charge people for viewing it, I thought of contacting genealogy.com to ask for my data back.  I clicked on a link for geneaolgy.com and was transferred to ancestry.co.uk.  What the hell is going on?

Has anyone else had this experience?
Does anyone know who controls what out there?

Cheers

downside
Sussex: Floate, West
Kent: Tuffee
Cheshire: Gradwell
Lancashire: Gradwell

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pete edwards

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Spot the difference
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 May 06 22:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Downside. :)

I subscribe to one of the above mentioned, ( begins with A )  they say on one of there pages, you can search the Pallots marriage list, which can tell you some useful info, I tried it it for a marriage in 1808, yes I did find it, but when I tried to download it all I got was a pokey little corner of paper with name and date on, ( try it ), perhaps its just me not knowing how to use the site proper, but I dont think so.

Best wishes
Pete. :)

Edwards, mainly Cound, Frodesely, Acton Burnell. Pitchford. and surrounding villages, Shropshire, /  Rowe, Cound, / Littlehales, Berrington, Shropshire / Radford, Dublin, /   Maguire, Acton Burnell, /  Rudge, Frodesely, /

Offline suttontrust

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 May 06 22:15 BST (UK) »
I spotted an advert for a site on Rootschat, and went to it.  It purported to give access to censuses and BMD.  There was no mention of a company beginning with A.  But when you try any of the searches you find yourself being asked to subscribe to that very website.  That to me feels like a con.
Godden in East Sussex, mainly Hastings area.
Richards in Lea, Gloucestershire, then London.
Williamson in Leith, Vickers in Nottingham.
Webb in Bildeston and Colchester.
Wesbroom in Kirby le Soken.
Ellington in Harwich.
Park, Palmer, Segar and Peartree in Kersey.

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 May 06 22:35 BST (UK) »
when I tried to download it all I got was a pokey little corner of paper with name and date on, ( try it ), perhaps its just me not knowing how to use the site proper, but I dont think so.

Hiya Pete,
Yes, that's all the Pallotts index gives you!  But I have found marriages on it that are not on the IGI or any other index I've looked in, so it can be useful.

As for the other problem...I haven't noticed the phenomenon, but I will keep an eye out from now on  :-\

Prue

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 May 06 22:42 BST (UK) »
I think Ancestry.com also bought genesconnected
Rena

Family Tree Maker
genealogy.com
ancestry.com

Once upon a time I bought a copy of Family Tree Maker version 6 and after entering about 200+ records it prompted me to submit my data to the World Family Tree program online.  Naively I said OK.

Since I do not remember anyone form FTM telling me that some company was going to own my data and charge people for viewing it, I thought of contacting genealogy.com to ask for my data back.  I clicked on a link for geneaolgy.com and was transferred to ancestry.co.uk.  What the hell is going on?

Cheers

downside
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 30 May 06 22:44 BST (UK) »
Had a senior moment - I mean bought GenesReunited
Rena
I think Ancestry.com also bought genesconnected
Rena

Family Tree Maker
genealogy.com
ancestry.com

Cheers

downside
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 30 May 06 23:28 BST (UK) »
Ancestry.Com and genealogy.com are owned by the same company who also publish the Family Tree Software mentioned. They also own or are closely associated with several other well known sites
#  Ancestry.com
# Genealogy.com
# RootsWeb.com
# MyFamily.com

As far as Genes Reunited are concerned I believe their new owners are ITV who  purchased friends reunited.

I remember the world tree idea and a good few years ago thought it quite appealing, until I read the small print, when I realised that I would be surrendering all rights to the information I supplied to the publishers of FTM.

Offline downside

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Make my day
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 31 May 06 00:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Falkyrn

Thank you for that detailed answer.  I think I supplied a file of 250+ names which are mostly out of date now as I now have 850+ names and more accurate information about dates and events.

I though there was a conspiracy going on out there and you have confirmed my suspicions.

Where did you find that small print?

downside
Sussex: Floate, West
Kent: Tuffee
Cheshire: Gradwell
Lancashire: Gradwell

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 31 May 06 00:11 BST (UK) »
It was many years ago when I purchased an early version of FTM - I can't remember if it came with the original package or when I upgraded possibly the latter as I seem to remember the package arriving by post.
I had actually created the file they requested and copied it to the supplied floppy disk when I decided to read the paperwork. I can't remember the exact terms but basically the only right I seemed to be retaining was the right to keep supplying information - what happened to that information was then out of my hands. I remember discussing it with friends and describing it as a "con job" **and was told I was too sceptical.

** Not true in the legal sense merely an opinion formed at the time.
(that should save me from any lawyers  ;) )