Author Topic: Spot the difference  (Read 3791 times)

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
Re: Spot the difference
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 31 May 06 14:34 BST (UK) »
Ahhh!!!  ::)

Just shows I won't make a top detective just yet.  Need to hone my skills a little more.  No, Bob, I hadn't noticed that, but now that you have pointed it out - the plot thickens!!!!  ???

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline downside

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Make my day
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 31 May 06 14:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Spring

When it comes to Census records the actual images of records is owned by the Crown.  However, commercial companies have constructed Name Search indexes which take 1000's of man hours to construct.  Someone has to sit down and work their way through images of microfilm and type in all the details so that people like us can search for somone by name and location.  So the companies that perform that work can charge people to search their databases - which is fair enough as they have done all the hard work.  They effectively own those databases and they link their databases to the actual image in the case of the 1901 census.

http://www.nao.org.uk/publications/nao_reports/02-03/02031259es.pdf

It looks like the 1901 database is now owned or run by GenesReunited because I recently downloaded an image and my credit card was debited to them instead of ons.gov.uk. 

downside

PS check this out - I fell off my chair laughing at it.  MORMONS are Zombies?  MORMANS and Voodoo

http://www.badbusinessbureau.com/reports/ripoff6020.htm

Brilliant!
Sussex: Floate, West
Kent: Tuffee
Cheshire: Gradwell
Lancashire: Gradwell

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Springbok

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 31 May 06 17:37 BST (UK) »
Wonderful Downside,  had a good giggle at all the answers.

used to live in Brasil yonks ago and the pristine young Mormon missionaries certainly never went near the Macoumba(Voodoo) groups.

What did happen tho' was that as they drank nothing but water all too many of them contracted hepatitis. Needless to say the expats stuck to beer.

Spring
Dorset: Ackerman,Bungey,Bunter Chant,Hyle
Islington:Bedford, Eaton,Wilkins
Beds,Fulham: Brazier
Shoreditch: Burton,Coverdale
Essex ,Clerkenwell:Craswell,Cresswell
St.Lukes Middx:Doughty, Dunkley
Andover/IOW/Fulham:Gasser
Fulham: Neal
Bucks:Putnam,Wingrove
Bullwell.Notts:Wilkinson
Clerkenwell/Islington:Wyllie