Author Topic: Spot the difference  (Read 3792 times)

Offline downside

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Make my day
    • View Profile
Re: Spot the difference
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 31 May 06 00:30 BST (UK) »
I've just spotted this on the FTW website:-

Important Notice: The World Family Tree Contributor Contact Information Service is provided as a courtesy to purchasers of World Family Tree CDs and/or World Family Tree Online subscriptions. Neither this service nor the information it provides may be used for commercial purposes or by those who have not purchased a World Family Tree CD or do not have an active World Family Tree Online subscription. The publication, distribution, or sale of any data provided by the Contributor Contact Information Service is prohibited, whether on paper or in electronic form. By contributing a query, you indicate that you understand and accept these usage limitations.

Apparently I'm not a World Family Tree Contributor.  Right?

So what is my data doing on their website and why are they offering subscriptions to view it?

The plot thickens!!!!!!!!

downside
Sussex: Floate, West
Kent: Tuffee
Cheshire: Gradwell
Lancashire: Gradwell

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Springbok

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 31 May 06 00:42 BST (UK) »
Take a look at GenesReunited Home Page. Scroll down to the bottom of the page where there is a "New" flash against Terms and Conditions. Read and if you are not "blinded by Science" you might have a headache

Springbok
Dorset: Ackerman,Bungey,Bunter Chant,Hyle
Islington:Bedford, Eaton,Wilkins
Beds,Fulham: Brazier
Shoreditch: Burton,Coverdale
Essex ,Clerkenwell:Craswell,Cresswell
St.Lukes Middx:Doughty, Dunkley
Andover/IOW/Fulham:Gasser
Fulham: Neal
Bucks:Putnam,Wingrove
Bullwell.Notts:Wilkinson
Clerkenwell/Islington:Wyllie
Herts/ Tottenham/Walthamstow:Young

Offline downside

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Make my day
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 31 May 06 00:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Springbok

Personally I don't have a problem with GenesReunited, they are upfront and honest about what they are trying to accomplish.  It is difficult to reproduce information listed there, unlike a GEDCOM file which can be uploaded in seconds into someones database.

As far as I know GR do not sell their data on to 2nd or 3rd parties, unless you have heard something we don't know about?

I feel a conspiracy coming on  ;D

downside

Offline Springbok

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 31 May 06 01:16 BST (UK) »
I agree with you in that I have found GR a good site and have been on there for many years.

My comment was merely re the complexity of the Terms and Conditions  which  were emphasized on the site after they were bought by ITN

No conspiracy , downside (it still gave me a headache!! )

Spring

Offline downside

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Make my day
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 31 May 06 13:19 BST (UK) »
Apparently all those sites are owned by myfamily.com inc.

I just found a killer clause on the genealogy.com website:-

8.     MyFamily.com, Inc's Proprietary Rights
   A.   Subject to the Genealogy.com Privacy Policy, by inputting, uploading or posting any family tree information, data, family stories, ideas, drawings, opinions, messages, eyewitness accounts, or any other information or materials, or engaging in any other form of communication (each, a "Submission") through the Sites, you grant MyFamily.com, Inc. and its Affiliated Companies a royalty free, irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive, unrestricted, transferable, worldwide license to (i) use, copy, sublicense, adapt, transmit, distribute, publicly perform, archive, and display any such Submission in any medium now known or hereafter developed; (ii) exploit any proprietary rights in such Submission, including but not limited to rights under copyright, trademark, or patent laws in any relevant jurisdiction; and (iii) sublicense to third parties the unrestricted right to exercise any of the foregoing rights.

So there you are.  You do the work and they own the right to exploit your work forever!

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

downside

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 31 May 06 13:32 BST (UK) »
Quote from: downside
Apparently all those sites are owned by myfamily.com inc.

Myfamily.com, Inc. is an Internet company based in Provo, Utah, and the largest for-profit genealogy company in the world. They run a growing network of genealogy and family-related websites, including:

* Ancestry.ca
    * Ancestry.com
    * Ancestry.co.uk
    * FamilyHeritage.com
    * FamilyTreeMaker.com
    * Genealogy.com
    * HeritageMakers.com
    * MyFamily.com
    * MyFamilyinc.com (corporate site)
    * RootsWeb.com

An interesting article, includes the company history, and (to pre-empt another frequently raised theme), this paragraph:
Because the company is based in Utah, there are many people who believe it is run by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (or "Mormons"). This is an incorrect assumption, however, according to their Public Relations Senior Manager, Peggy Hayes (as of January 2006). The company is privately held and the LDS Church has no stake in it.

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Springbok

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 31 May 06 13:56 BST (UK) »
What a legal minefield.

So how is that we have Crown Copywrite  and presumably the US has it's copywrite Laws.and the Genealogical sites can  stiil have total control over the research of others.

Do they pay Royalties ?

We obtain much of our information from these and other "protected" sites but keep to the copywrite laws(hopefully)

Any Legal Eagle out there who can explain ?

Springbok

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 31 May 06 14:02 BST (UK) »
This is certainly a "killer clause", downside!  I didn't realise all this stuff - thanks for bringing it to our attention!  Once again, I give thanks for our wonderful Rootschat!!!

Bob - I know, I have read on R/C before that the LDS has nothing to do with Ancestry - but the cynic in me asks, why have the LDS centres all round the world decided to put Ancestry on their computers, and make it available free to their clients??  I know they are very kind and helpful, and I have used Ancestry there and their other services.  I'd be the last to criticise the LDS, but why would they spend all this money making it available free if there isn't some kind of connection??  

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 31 May 06 14:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Marie,

did you notice that last line ???

This is an incorrect assumption, however, according to their Public Relations Senior Manager, Peggy Hayes (as of January 2006). The company is privately held and the LDS Church has no stake in it.

This sounds to me like the writer is sceptical, too  ;D

or knows, that something is being planned ..... ?

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)