Author Topic: Will they thank us?  (Read 4370 times)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Will they thank us?
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 01 June 06 15:51 BST (UK) »
CU  You were lucky.

I am rather hoping that my nephew will consider himself lucky and talk to his grandparents about family history.  I am sure he will get stories out of my parents that I have not been able to!!!!

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline stevenson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sarah Twig Jr in 1950
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 01 June 06 16:10 BST (UK) »
Quote from: Gadget [quote

My great nephew (nearly 9) is very interested in whether he's x the 4th or 7th as he has a family first name. He also knows that Aunty* Gadget is doing it all but He'll have to continue afterwards.

* the Aunty bit's been dispensed with ::) ::) ::)

Just remmember Gadget you'll be a GREAT Aunty one day ;D ;D

Steve
<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CarolBurns

• I am no longer accepting new replies to my topics
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 01 June 06 17:44 BST (UK) »
I know I am one of those who do all branches but I tend to stick with the rule of 2 generations for spouses of relatives rather than going the full hog as they say.

Many of my nephews and nieces (and Great nephews and nieces as well) are interested so there is still work for them to do as they can go along the lines of the people I haven't completed.

Ours is a large family on both sides sso there is still plenty of people to look for. I try to encourage everyone I know who has an interest. It also helps me as I can then concentrate on the lines direct from myself and hubby

As someone already said - there will be plenty of census still to come and more records available as time goes on - many we will not see

Carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 01 June 06 17:52 BST (UK) »
Quote from: Gadget [quote

My great nephew (nearly 9) is very interested in whether he's x the 4th or 7th as he has a family first name. He also knows that Aunty* Gadget is doing it all but He'll have to continue afterwards.

* the Aunty bit's been dispensed with ::) ::) ::)

Just remmember Gadget you'll be a GREAT Aunty one day ;D ;D

Steve

I already am. My niece was born when I was very very young  ;D ;D ;D

Just being called one is a bit of a problem  :o :o :o

I gather that the correct title is grand aunty though - as the grandparent's sibling .

Grand or Great  - I'll take either  8) 8) 8)

I agree with Guy - I've been into this business for more digits that I have on my fingers and toes twice over and it's nice to see the  youngsters of my family taking an interest.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline CarolBurns

• I am no longer accepting new replies to my topics
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 01 June 06 18:10 BST (UK) »

I already am. My niece was born when I was very very young  ;D ;D ;D

Just being called one is a bit of a problem  :o :o :o

I gather that the correct title is grand aunty though - as the grandparent's sibling .

Grand or Great  - I'll take either  8) 8) 8)

I agree with Guy - I've been into this business for more digits that I have on my fingers and toes twice over and it's nice to see the  youngsters of my family taking an interest.

Gadget

I like the Great rather than the Grand to be honest

Great can be classed two ways - Great Aunt as it should be and Great Aunt as fantastic aunt! I like that one better lol

As for Great Great Aunt - that makes you sound even better than fantastic lol

Carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 01 June 06 18:24 BST (UK) »
Not sure about the great great Carol. I'll have to wait a while. One 9 year old and one coming up for 3  ;D

They'll push me around to visit all the ancestors' graves by then I spect - or maybe wonder what  this great*2 aunt did - and, from BMDs and censuses,  find that she was rather unsettled - but hopefully, they'll smile at some of my little bits and pieces  ::) ::) ::)

Gadget 
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline linmey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Propping up a Saxon shore fort!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 01 June 06 21:38 BST (UK) »
My two sons describe my family history research as " Mum talking to dead people ". I am not at all optimistic that they will ever be interested but hey, I might have grandchildren one day. Ever the optimist. ::)

Linda.
Reynolds, Woodham, Payne, Wilmott, Hart, Richardson, Packwood, Tandy, Dexter - Bedfordshire.
Chamberlain and Wagstaff- Hunts.
Freeman, Cheney, Cox- Northants.
Burns, Muter, Cobban, Hossack, Strachan, Moonlight.
Lanarkshire, Ross and Cromarty and Kincardineshire.
Garvey- Ireland.

Census Information Is Crown Copyright From--
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 02 June 06 08:57 BST (UK) »
I too am a great-aunt.  It was a real shock to the system at the time, but I have got used to it!!  :o 8)

I like the spin you put on it, though, Carol - it's excellent, I'll use it if you haven't patented it!!  ;D ;D

I agree - family history is never ending!  I have only been at it three or four years, but I don't expect to get anywhere near finishing what I am doing in my lifetime, let alone other bits of the family!!

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 02 June 06 08:59 BST (UK) »
Will I ever get my website finished?  That's my question.  Everytime I think I have got the information I want for it, I have another discovery and find more stuff about various ancestors.  I think it will be a lifetime work in progress!!!

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....