Author Topic: Will they thank us?  (Read 4372 times)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Will they thank us?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 31 May 06 15:31 BST (UK) »
My nephew has been studying my website closely and making suggestions, he was upset to find his name wasn't on it, all my living relatives are down as Living.  He wants his name added!

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Simon G.

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 31 May 06 23:24 BST (UK) »
It is true that some young people are interested, even if not all.
That's certainly true...I'm 22, and have been doing it since I was 17.  A lot more fun and productive than the usual habits of my peers. :P
Currently engaging in a one-name study of the Twyman surname.

Golding, Twyman, Kennard, Wales (Kent).
Berks, Challinor (Staffordshire).
Wakely. (Glam & Monmouth).

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 01 June 06 04:18 BST (UK) »
Goodonya, sgolding!  You do have quite a bit of company on this site.

How I wish I'd been like you and started when I was young.  I would have found out so much from my oldies on both sides of the family before they shuffled off this mortal coil, and I mightn't even have some of the brick walls that I am laboriously trying to dismantle!!!    :(

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 01 June 06 07:30 BST (UK) »
Too true, if I had got interested when I was younger I could have talked to all 4 of my grandparents who, I am sure would have had some wonderful information to share with me!!!

Kerry

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Simon G.

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 01 June 06 07:34 BST (UK) »
I wish I'd started when I was even younger.  Around when my Grandma was alive would have been nice.  When I think about what she could have told me (she was the brains of the family, and relished in telling all the stories about her Dad and her husbands and how she was found drunk in a fountain on VEDay.  Wish I could have got them written down), I curl into a ball in the corner and cry.
Currently engaging in a one-name study of the Twyman surname.

Golding, Twyman, Kennard, Wales (Kent).
Berks, Challinor (Staffordshire).
Wakely. (Glam & Monmouth).

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 01 June 06 07:37 BST (UK) »
I curl into a ball in the corner and cry.

Lots of things get me this way in genealogy!  In the end, I just uncurl and go on battering away at the brick walls...

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 01 June 06 08:52 BST (UK) »
There are more young people doing family history research now than ever before.

Why on earth should they think there is not much to do? I have been researching my family history for over 50 years I have not advanced the main line researched by my grandfather one generation but I have amassed a huge amount of information about the family.
I have also advanced other lines of the family history.
In all this time I have hardly scratched the surface and there are still thousands of manuscripts etc to search for further information.

Family history is never ending
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 01 June 06 09:56 BST (UK) »
Guy

Of course it depends on whether you want to collect a whole bunch of names or collect information on the history of your ancestors too.  This adds years to your research which I am happily looking forward to!!

Kerry

Offline CU

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 01 June 06 15:09 BST (UK) »
I start young doing my family history. I am so glad I did. My Grand Mother was alive and so was her brother. They told me so much. When I married my husband I was 21 and his Great Aunty Lizzie was still alive aged 98. The stories she told me about the family and she wrote them down as well. The photographs she gave me with the names on the back Wonderful. I was so lucky.  ;D
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk