Author Topic: surname Baines & Lambert birth & marriage  (Read 2986 times)

Offline moors

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
surname Baines & Lambert birth & marriage
« on: Wednesday 31 May 06 10:19 BST (UK) »
any person has interest in surname Baines, William Baines (M) Hannah Lambert 29/11/183 at Willingham by Stow On 1841  census Upton Lincs. William blacksmith 45 yrs (not (B) in county) Hannah 45yrs, Mary 20yrs,William 20yrs. Hannah 15yrs. John 15yrs. Joseph 11yrs, Henry 8yrs, Charlotte 5 yrs all (B) in county. There was also David (B) 1814 Rebecca (B) 1816 Elizabeth (B) 1818 Sarah Ann (B)1825 2 Marthas (B) 1831/1838.  William Baines (B) Caunton abt. 1794 Hannah (D) 1846 Upton age 54. Lots more info. on this family. I would like to find Hannah Lamberts (B) and family also Williams
Jeffery Kent Moors Kent/Mddx. Gulley Mddx Bennett Southwark/Devon  Hart Cobham Surrey/Brighton
Bubb Berks/Bucks  Jeffs/Staffs  Baines/Notts  Lambert/Lincs  West/Spinks & Dey-Dye/Norfolk Morrish/Stoke Newington Mddx. Lovell/ Hackney,Shoreditch Blackshaw Clerkenwell/Rotherhithe,. Day& Downer I.O.W. Harknett Essex. Gulley Westminster. Sealey Norfolk. Newling Cambridge/Essex/Herts. Hughes Aldershot/South London. Hartgroves Essex.

Offline Geoff E

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: surname Baines & Lambert birth & marriage
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 31 May 06 11:24 BST (UK) »
As you probably know, the IGI has Willingham by Stow baptisms ... but no Hannah.  It has the following Lambert/Lamberd/Lambard baptisms, all children of William (no mother named).

Rebekah 1794
John 1796
Mary 1798
Elizabeth 1801

William LAMBERT was buried at Willingham 17 Nov 1834 age 83
a Mary LAMBERT was buried there 16 April 1834 age 80

also an Elizabeth age 25 on 12 March 1827.

A William LAMBERT married Mary ELSOM at Corringham (5 miles to the north) 16 Aug 1774, where they had

John 1774
William 1777
Richard 1780

A mile south of Corringham is Springthorpe, where they appear to have had

John 1780
Sarah 1782
Joseph 1785
Ann 1787
Benjamin 1789
Mary 1792

Two things to note

1) If they are all children of the same couple, Mary would have been getting on a bit by the time the last child was born ... I think it's juuuuuust OK.
2) The baptisms of Richard and John in 1780 in different places just two weeks apart.  My first thought was that a year had been wrongly transcribed (a year out) but as both the given dates were Sundays, this was probably not the case.

This last fact apart, the marriage and three sets of baptisms form a coherent pattern, as do the burials.

If Ann 1787 was Hannah (BAINES), the presence of Charlotte 1836 would seem to push Hannah's childbearing years to the limit.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Geoff E

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 31 May 06 11:58 BST (UK) »
William LAMBERD bap Upton 16 Dec 1850 (son of John - the name of Wm's eldest son)

Offline barberd

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 June 06 07:03 BST (UK) »
I have William Baines in my family tree.
There was an Hannah Lambert  christened in Haxey on 18 February 1791 who I considered could be the Hannah that married William Baines on 29 Nov 1813 at Willingham by Stow. Parents were John Lambert and Sarah. I have not done any further research down this line.
William Baines of Caunton married twice. His second wife was Sarah Brown a widow who was christened on 28 Sep 1823. They married on 28 Sep 1848 at Sturton  Notts and had three children
Alfred 1856
Martha 1858
George Tomkinson (C) 8 Sep 1861.
William Baines died 6 Oct 1884 at Upton

William Baines parents were I believe
John Bains (C) 13 Oct 1766 Buried 23 Jul 1839 in Stow
married Sarah Day 23 Nov 1786 at Norwell and Carlton on Trent Notts.
Sarah was (C) 5 Oct 1766 Buried 6 Sep 1846 in Stow.
They had 4 children in Caunton. Mary the last in Caunton may have been actually  (C) in Stow. I believe they had more children in Stow but details are on my laptop which is being repaired.
I visited Stow and Upton last year and found the gravestone of William and Hannah Baines in Upton churchyard. This was erected by descendants of the first family.
I also found site of William Baines Blacksmith Shop in Upton which now operates under the name of William Barnes. The business is still thriving!

Would be pleased receive your comments.

Offline moors

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 June 06 18:16 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all the info. will get back to you, but as I use the library do not have info. with me
Jeffery Kent Moors Kent/Mddx. Gulley Mddx Bennett Southwark/Devon  Hart Cobham Surrey/Brighton
Bubb Berks/Bucks  Jeffs/Staffs  Baines/Notts  Lambert/Lincs  West/Spinks & Dey-Dye/Norfolk Morrish/Stoke Newington Mddx. Lovell/ Hackney,Shoreditch Blackshaw Clerkenwell/Rotherhithe,. Day& Downer I.O.W. Harknett Essex. Gulley Westminster. Sealey Norfolk. Newling Cambridge/Essex/Herts. Hughes Aldershot/South London. Hartgroves Essex.

Offline moors

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 June 06 11:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all the info. you sent.
I have a line from William Lambert who (M) Hannah Lambert 29/11/1813 Willingham by Stow. As far as I have researched they had 13 children, before Hann (D) age 54 at Upton 4/9/1846 Their dau. Hannah (BP) 24/11/1822 Upton (M) Alfred Marshall 13/9/1844 at Upton he was a gardeniner, they had a son Henry (B) 8/5/1847 who (M) Susannah Eliza West they had a dau. Ada Marshall my Grandmother.
Re your info. I also found on the LDS Wm Baines (B) 22/7/1793 Caunton parents John Baines (M) Sarah.... (Day) 1787 Caunton, also John (B) 1767 Notts. Aslo found Hannah Lambert (B) 1792 Haxey Lincs. on LDS but also 2 other so did not know which was "my" Hannah as on 1841 she is 45yrs= 1796 she (D) age 54 yrs = (B) 1792 this =Haxey 1792 as you gave me, so again I was not sure which one was correct. I know it does not give the nams of the parents when William and Hannah (M) 229/11/1813 I have a great deal of information about this family of William & Hannah Baines which a lady in Lincoln researched for me, including 2 postcards pictures of The Old Hall Gainsborough where William was in 1881. I hope some of this is of interest to you, if you require more info. please come back to me. Ann

Offline Geoff E

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 June 06 12:08 BST (UK) »
did not know which was "my" Hannah as on 1841 she is 45yrs= 1796

An age of "45" on the 1841 census should indicate a birth between 1791 and 1796.

1841 Enumerator's Instructions here - http://www.rootsweb.com/~engcots/Enum.html