Author Topic: Seafarers in the family?  (Read 662 times)

Offline Sheila M

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Seafarers in the family?
« on: Wednesday 31 May 06 23:18 BST (UK) »
My grandad Francis Howse (mum's dad) was a Marine Engineer (he served in both the Royal and Merchant Navies). My grandmother's Grandfather was a sailor and his father was a Master Mariner.  So, why am I surprised then that my son is taking part in the Round the Island  Yacht Race http://www.roundtheisland.org.uk/web...home&page=home this Saturday. I have no doubt that he is a good sailor (it seems to be in his blood) but considering Her Dameship is also entered ...!!!!

Having said that, they were 7th in class last year and 250 something overall - is that good? Well, yes, when you consider there are something like 1600+ entries!

Fingers crossed for Spirit III this year!
Hall - Middlesbrough
Marrison - Worldwide
Howse - Middlesbrough, Staffordshire
Spencer - Newcastle upon Tyne
Price - Whitby
Schofield/Scorfield - Whitby
Clarkson - Jamaica, Manchester
Bennett - Shropshire, Wales
Edwards - Shopshire, Wales

Offline Michael72.

• RootsChat Senior
  • Getting back to my Roots.
    • View Profile
Re: Seafarers in the family?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 31 May 06 23:25 BST (UK) »

Most of my Ancestors were Seamen of one sort or another...as for it being in the blood...I would have had to be bound and gagged before I ventured on the Ocean...I spent many years as a Marine Engineer....but I mended Trawlers...I wasn't dumb enough to actually go to sea..... ;D ;D ;D

Michael72.
My email is not working sorry
GILBY, Lowestoft and Cleethorpes.
COO, Horncastle/Grimsby/Cleethorpes.
MADIN, Sheffield/Cleethorpes.
AYERS, Yorkshire, Grimsby/Cleethorpes.
Clark, Cheltenham, Hull, Cleethorpes.

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Seafarers in the family?
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 31 May 06 23:57 BST (UK) »
Hi

My husband and son have taken our folkboat down to Brightlingsea today and launched it for the first time since we bought it. It has been out of the water for 6 years. Apparently it nearly sank as the timbers were totally dry so there are gaps between them and despite a good pump the water flooded in. They have now moored it on a mudbank and hope the timbers take up water and swell to seal the gaps. They have gone for fish and chips and then to the pub.

......................And they want me to go next weekend!

I have sailed dinghys and been on 2 or 3 yachts but I hope this one is dry by the time I go on it. Once it is settled down it is capable of going almost anywhere. Hubby is a yachtmaster and wants to go to America. I want to go to Holland again BUT only if he sails it there across the North sea and I will meet him over there care of BMI baby. I am not ready for the North sea, I have heard too many tales about the 'exciting' crossings they have had.

I know this is a fantastic family history site but at the moment I am worried about the present!!!!!

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk