Author Topic: I'M NOT VERY HAPPY!  (Read 9169 times)

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: I'M NOT VERY HAPPY!
« Reply #9 on: Friday 22 October 04 16:53 BST (UK) »
I have no real problem with some limited sections being open to Google or other search engines with the proviso that they are clearly marked as being for general public distribution ... but I personally feel that the likes of the user profile pages should be private .... despite the disclaimer supplied that the advice is to keep email addresses hidden .....

I am also curious as to the legal position in which some members may find themselves in supplying information from CD's or other sources in their possession ... while some companies will often turn a blind eye to the provision of information to a limited audience in breach of many EULA's .... making all of this information available to the wider net community is hardly "a limited audience".

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 22 October 04 17:12 BST (UK) »
If they don't like me supplying information from discs that I have paid for.....so sue me!
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 22 October 04 17:13 BST (UK) »
We've had discussion before about copyright.

If one buys a copy of the census, say, the the T&C will determine if they can be used to supply a lookup service. I'm not sure that when doing it for free, that legally constitutes a service or not.

However, it is confused by the fact that the information on any census page is not copyright; Yet the image is.

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 22 October 04 19:20 BST (UK) »
If they don't like me supplying information from discs that I have paid for.....so sue me!

They well do ........ as Rootschat gets bigger it becomes a bigger target for those of a more litiguous nature.
However the target may not initially be the individuals providing said information but Rootschat and its moderators who could be considered as supplying the means to commit a criminal act (its no longer civil law but definitely criminal)  as moderators are actively controlling and condoning the distribution of the information.

Just something else to think about

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 22 October 04 19:32 BST (UK) »
That response should have started "they may well do ..... " not they well do  :-[

Offline Fitty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Rooting through my Roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 22 October 04 19:36 BST (UK) »
And who's to say wether the information come from a disc or was looked up in the library?
---------------------------------------                    <br />                    (  @ @  )<br />-----------oOOo-(_)-oOOo---------<br /><br />       Any one seen any BAXENDALES?<br /><br />--------oooO---------------Oooo-------<br />           (    )                    (    )<br />            \\\\  (                      )  /<br />             \\\\_)                    (_/<br /><br />Brighouse:  Smith<br />Lambeth: Clisby<br />Leeds: Baxendale,Baxter, Beales,Bowe

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 22 October 04 19:46 BST (UK) »
True .... but then they don't have to prove that ... its up to you in your defence to do so...  lawyers get rich and the rest of us get poorer.

If stuck in a room with a lawyer,a rattlesnake and an alligator and your gun only has two bullets What do you do ?

Shoot the lawyer twice just to make sure  ::)

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 22 October 04 20:27 BST (UK) »
Here is an extract from the box label of the 1871 census discs from S&N - "Images may be used only for purposes of research, private study or education". You note they refer to images and not information. Secondly, assuming I copy an image to you. Does this come from the fiches held at the FRO or from their discs. Thirdly, if I do so, am I using it to educate you? to assist you in your private study? to assist you in your research or our joint research?
That is just one example. It is not necessary to run scared or consult your lawyer before you make a posting. In order to secure a criminal conviction [referred to in another posting] it is usually necessary to prove criminal intent. Devoid of criminal intent you are not likely to be prosecuted successfully.
If I make a copy of one of the S&N discs and give it to you or sell it you then I am indeed liable to prosecution as that is piracy and I had a clear intent to deprive them of some benefit of their investment of time and money in the publication.
Before anyone will launch a civil action against you they would usually consider the prospects of success and the likely recovery. Normally, in this type of matter, they would require you to desist. If you agreed then it is hardly likely that any civil suit could succeed.
What one must be aware of is that the fact that someone copies data that is in the public domain they cannot claim copyright to that data - only to the form in which it is presented.
So, I repeat - so sue me!
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Fitty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Rooting through my Roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 22 October 04 21:31 BST (UK) »
I have just carried out a search for "Jowett Printers".   The second item on the list is my own postings on Rootschat - all there for the world to see!!!

http://www.rootschat.co.uk/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=5310;sa=showPosts

I thought Rootschat and what goes on in the Forum was private to members only but every comment I make is up there on the www!

This makes me feel extremely uncomfortable about being a member of Rootschat.   Can anyone tell me how to get it removed please?

Jill

We seem to have gone off topic slightly here....so can i just bring it back to the original message.

Firstly, i was'nt too worried about the fact that messages came up in the Google search pages.  The more people who see i,m searching for my Baxendlales the better.  What did surprise me was that when i typed in " Fitty" into Google it lead me straight to my profile page, where i might add was my hotmail address just incase anyone wanted to add me to thier messenger.  ummm!  this did give me cause for concern as i thought me profile could only be seen by members of Rootschat.

I know no one can see the address that i signed up with but i did wonder why this last few months i've been getting requests to add people to my MSN Messenger....some i dont know at all. 

Fitty
---------------------------------------                    <br />                    (  @ @  )<br />-----------oOOo-(_)-oOOo---------<br /><br />       Any one seen any BAXENDALES?<br /><br />--------oooO---------------Oooo-------<br />           (    )                    (    )<br />            \\\\  (                      )  /<br />             \\\\_)                    (_/<br /><br />Brighouse:  Smith<br />Lambeth: Clisby<br />Leeds: Baxendale,Baxter, Beales,Bowe