Author Topic: Help! - Cannot find their marriage (PURSEY/MORRIS)  (Read 1826 times)

Offline TAP1970

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Help! - Cannot find their marriage (PURSEY/MORRIS)
« on: Thursday 01 June 06 13:44 BST (UK) »
I am try to find out when my great grandparents married.  Unfortunately all I have is their names - no DOB, no years of marriage nor area!!

Elizabeth Mary Pursey married Alfred William George Morris.  My granddad was born in 1916 (district of Egham) so assuming it would have been before then but he had two elder siblings - their DOB no idea.  Alfred died appox 2 years after WWI and Elizabeth died approx 1944 (this additional info is from my aunt).

I have visited FRC in London and looked in the paper records for a marriage from 1900 to 1920 and came across nothing where the two names married up.  Back then could she has just taken his name and not married although her married name does appear as Morris on other legal documents (my grandmother's marriage certificate).  I have also looked on the freebmd website and still cannot find anything.

I do not know what other avenues to try.
Morris, Purssey - Chertsey, Loring, Hall(s) - Cambridgeshire, Corder, Brazier - Cambridgeshire, Miller, Rosewell, Powell, Leach, Dacey, Doyle - Ireland, Hancock, Good - Hampshire, Blake - IoW, Yeakes, Whiting, Bradman, Stubbing, Hodd, Tutt, Thompson, Adley.

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help! - Cannot find their marriage (PURSEY/MORRIS)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 June 06 14:09 BST (UK) »
Back then could she has just taken his name and not married

She sure could!

I am fairly certain my great grandparents were not married, but she gave her name as his.  She was already married (to someone else) with two children in 1901 (census).  By June 1902, she had a son registered in my great grandfather's name.  Divorce would have been out of the question for them - they were not well-off - and I can find no death registration for her husband.

Have you checked the 1901 census for either of them?  Or to see if either of them might have been married already?

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline TAP1970

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Help! - Cannot find their marriage (PURSEY/MORRIS)
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 June 06 13:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Little Nell - I'll check the 1901 census and see what comes up.
Morris, Purssey - Chertsey, Loring, Hall(s) - Cambridgeshire, Corder, Brazier - Cambridgeshire, Miller, Rosewell, Powell, Leach, Dacey, Doyle - Ireland, Hancock, Good - Hampshire, Blake - IoW, Yeakes, Whiting, Bradman, Stubbing, Hodd, Tutt, Thompson, Adley.