Author Topic: Clare Heritage and Genealogical Centre - Link  (Read 6643 times)

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Clare Heritage and Genealogical Centre - Link
« on: Saturday 03 June 06 12:18 BST (UK) »
The Clare Heritage and Genealogical Research Centre was founded in 1982 by the late Dr. Ignatius (Naoise) Cleary and is now recognised nationally and internationally as the leading Centre of it's kind in the Country
http://www.clareroots.com/home.htm

Offline JClock

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Clare Heritage and Genealogical Centre - Link
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 December 06 18:36 GMT (UK) »
Christopher
can you tell me please - can visitors access records here or do you have to pay the people there to do a search?  Although I think this is good, I find it mich more interesting to search for info myself.
Thank you
Jean

Offline slevco

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 August 07 11:40 BST (UK) »
Hello Jean.  I find the search price charged by Clare Heritage to be very steep indeed. as unfortunately, are a lot of Irish Genealogy Centres.   Personally, I would recommend Clare Library.  They have an amazing amount of information (including 1901 and 1911 Census Index) online, plus they are very helpful with any query you may have. (I have just recived a detailed reply to a burial question I had sent them a few days ago)...  One of the best sites for Clare genealogy.  Good luck!

Offline JClock

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 August 07 21:43 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply Slevco.
That's what I will do when I go in September.
Jean

Offline Bills

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 January 08 22:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello all

The fact is that the Clare Genealogy centre does NOT permit visitors to examine the records held there.  No centre does that yet they encourage vistors to attend centres to 'trace' their ancestors. 

This of course rather misleading especially for those who have come from overseas.  One should also be aware that the entries on their computers are not always accurate and you are recommended to check them with original material whenever possible.  They can however, give useful leads in most cases.  Not all parish records have been transcribed by centres in Ireland and it is estimated that it will take many years for all of them to be completed.  This means that your family might not be found simply because the information in the original register, has not yet been transferred to computer.

The Clare library mentioned as a good source is not quite correct.  It is the local history library located next to the Library in Ennis, Co. Clare.  They have a lot of genealogical material on view to the public including 1901 census returns for Co. Clare and estate records on microfiche.

I hope this helps you with your enquiries