Author Topic: 7th Batt Oxford & Bucks Light Infantry - WW2  (Read 41661 times)

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 7th Batt Oxford & Bucks Light Infantry - WW2
« Reply #54 on: Friday 30 September 16 13:40 BST (UK) »
Which battalion of the Ox and Bucks was part of the British 18th division  that was sent to Singapore in early 1942?

Because I think my dad was in the same convoy as they were on, between Halifax Nova Scotia and Bombay one of the WS convoys
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Re: My fathers WW2 Army file ?
« Reply #55 on: Friday 30 September 16 18:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Drew, thanks for info on ox & bucks diaries but I do have most of them ,I just wanted to chat to other ox & bucks families and pass on or get other info. It may be nice if anyone's father knew mine . I know he had a friend that lived in Hastings e.sx when I was a child in the late fifties /sixties as we used to visit him he had 2/3 girls I think his name was mick or Mack but that is all I can remember. also we use to visit his old reg.sergeant major at the tower of London. I believe he then ended up in the Chelsea pensioners home. My father was Sidney William Hussey. not to be confused with the Hussey that was an officer that was killed and is buried in salerno. 
regards
Freda
  Do you know the names of any of the troop ships that he went overseas on, please?
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Re: My fathers WW2 Army file ?
« Reply #56 on: Friday 30 September 16 22:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Drew, thanks for info on ox & bucks diaries but I do have most of them ,I just wanted to chat to other ox & bucks families and pass on or get other info. It may be nice if anyone's father knew mine . I know he had a friend that lived in Hastings e.sx when I was a child in the late fifties /sixties as we used to visit him he had 2/3 girls I think his name was mick or Mack but that is all I can remember. also we use to visit his old reg.sergeant major at the tower of London. I believe he then ended up in the Chelsea pensioners home. My father was Sidney William Hussey. not to be confused with the Hussey that was an officer that was killed and is buried in salerno. 
regards
Freda
  Do you know the names of any of the troop ships that he went overseas on, please?

This request really should have it's own thread (or be moved to where Freda and Drew are discussing this subject) rather than being tacked on the end of Emilypos's thread.
I have requested that it be moved.

Topic split off and merged.

Offline adam180

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Saturday 01 October 16 01:11 BST (UK) »
Hello Wallace
My grandfather was one of the 60 as well.
I have the Oxford and bucks war chronicles if you want to know anything.
Hello Mathsmal
The last time I was in Woodstock it was before the museum opened and I ended up talking to Ingram Murray about Hazebrouck for most of my visit.
When I first started researching the regiment David Sterling helped me, is he well ?

Offline Skoyen89

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Saturday 01 October 16 07:43 BST (UK) »
Hi

I would be really interested in anyone with accounts of the 7th Bn Ox and Bucks Light Infantry in Italy in 1944.  I have been researching a soldier who died at the end of September 1944, Pte J Rymills - although I found he was fighting with the Queens as the 7th Bn had been put in 'suspended animation' a few days before and he and others drafted to the Queens. 

I have copied the War Diary for the period from Kew and also a map of the Comino area which covered Gemmano etc. 

Honeyman and Callaway Families
Men and Women commemorated on Tetsworth War Memorial

Offline Skoyen89

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Saturday 01 October 16 08:24 BST (UK) »
Hi
my father was in the 7th batt.Ox and Bucks. .......... they then fought on the gothic line and coriano ridge then to gemmano next the rimini line he was injured for a second time  on the 22nd september 1944 when he returned on the 29th sept ,there were not enough of the ox & bucks left to form a battalion and he was seconded into the queens royal reg.

Recently I looked through the Queens battalion diary for the period when the 7th was broken up and found them remarkably detailed, with daily orders and even a list of those transferred over from the Ox and Bucks.  Unfortunately (or fortunately) I found mention of the person I was researching in the first of the files I ordered and didn't have time to do the other two Battalions. 
In the OBLI War Diary I a map for Coriano which I photographed.  Happy to email a copy to others which may help for map refs for Gemmano etc if you PM me your email and/or address
Honeyman and Callaway Families
Men and Women commemorated on Tetsworth War Memorial

Offline Drew5233

• RootsChat Veteran
  • How Many Hours in Spits?
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Monday 03 October 16 14:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Wallace

Sadly, I don't believe there are many veterans of the 7th Bn. still alive. I am a volunteer with the Soldiers of Oxfordshire Museum in Woodstock (www.sofo.org.uk), and have been interviewing veterans for their archive for the last few years, and have not met anyone from the 7th yet.

It certainly sounds like your father had some interesting experiences though.

Everyday is a school day and all that. Slightly off topic you don't have anything related to Sgt Ropey or Ropy DCM awarded in France 1940 at the museum do you ? I've found him mentioned in 4 of my books but his citation isn't on TNA Discovery site and it's listed as missing in my DCM Citations book.

Cheers
Andy

Offline mtrplt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Saturday 15 October 16 22:52 BST (UK) »
Hello again Drew,
Thanks again for the information regarding the 2nd March 44 being "in the main a quiet day"
It gives some idea of what they experienced, as my research shows this quiet day saw 2 KIA and 10 casualties, (one of them my Dad)
Regards,
Bill.

Offline mtrplt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Saturday 15 October 16 22:54 BST (UK) »
Hello again Drew,
Thanks again for the information regarding the 2nd March 44 being "in the main a quiet day"
It gives some idea of what they experienced, as my research shows this quiet day saw 2 KIA and 10 casualties, (one of them my Dad)
Regards,
Bill.
Just a Grid Ref given as the Bn's location on this day 835302. Some chaps on WW2Talk.Com can convert WW2 Grids to a current location today via Google Maps/Earth, it's a bit beyond my pay grade I'm afraid.

Reports of heavy rain causing rivers to swell making advance difficult. Some reports of enemy shelling and mortar fire on forward company areas but in the main a quiet day.

Mentions of B Company moving, held up by enemy shell fire and remainder of RHQ with guides from 8 Royal Fusiliers.

PoW from German Paratroop Regiment captured the following day so you know who the battalion was fighting.