Author Topic: 7th Batt Oxford & Bucks Light Infantry - WW2  (Read 27076 times)

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
Re: 7th Batt Oxford & Bucks Light Infantry - WW2
« Reply #81 on: Monday 12 November 18 12:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi All
My Granddad Pte Joseph Smith service number 5389008
7th Ox & Bucks Light Infantry,
was posted to Italy and took part in the battle for Anzio. his battalion was surrounded by the German Infantry along with Fallschirmjager. His battalion was totally cut of from reinforcements and heavily bombarded from mortar and machine gun fire. the battalion held their ground to the last man
out of 1000 men it is said that only 60 odd men survived. my Grandfather was wounded and all positions were later overrun and remaining men were taken prisoner,

He was taken to Memmingen POW Camp / Hospital and treated for his wounds.
later taken to Stalag 9c Bad Sulza, Mühlhausen, Hesse. 
he ended up working in the Hospital as a porter looking after the wounded. either that or he could have ended up working in the potassium mines.
and there he would remain until the the camp was liberated by the Americans in 1945

would be very keen to learn more about his travel to Italy and to the camps
thanks Joe

7th battalion was in 167 London Infantry Brigade, 56th Division. The Brigade had been in Iraq Nov42 to Apr43. Italy Sept43 to Mch44. N.Africa April to July 44. Italy Jul to Sep44. Cadre to Dec44.

Evidently heavy losses at Anzio. What saved us was the guns of the Royal Navy and US Navy. It wasn't just the 7/Oxf and Bucks LI, In the late 70's my boss had been at Anzio as a junior officer in the RM Commandos together with US Rangers. They were mainly equipped with sten guns with a few Brens. They had to be put in the line. Opposition was the Hermann Goering Division. Massive artillery, machine gun and mortar fire. Then, avenues opened up allowing infantry to advance. The Commando's took losses, but as the Germans closed the massed auto fire of sten guns and the Brens stopped them. Not before realising that they were being machine gunned from behind. The Germans had been developing infiltration tactics for some time. His RM Commando, 44, 45, 46, I can't remember, suffered 50% casualties, they were withdrawn to Egypt for the rest of the War.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/167th_(1st_London)_Brigade#Order_of_battle_2.     

Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline FamilySearch1944

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Monday 12 November 18 18:06 GMT (UK) »
Having problems posting the photos, 3rd attempt

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline FamilySearch1944

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Monday 12 November 18 18:09 GMT (UK) »
2nd photo.  I also have an official one of the whole unit/battalion (female here so don't know the term but quite a big group)but will need to dig that one out.

Offline Rootes75

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Friday 21 December 18 20:29 GMT (UK) »
I have an original 'War Chronicle 1939-40' vol 1 for the Ox and Bucks Light Infantry.