Author Topic: 7th Batt Oxford & Bucks Light Infantry - WW2  (Read 41649 times)

Offline shaunhullis

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 7th Batt Oxford & Bucks Light Infantry - WW2
« Reply #90 on: Tuesday 26 March 24 18:52 GMT (UK) »
Dear All-

I have just come across this thread. I write books about military history & in researching my last I followed an officer of 7OBLI (Michael EDMUNDS) from Salerno to his death at Ceriano in the battalion's final battle. It struck me that this unit had one of the finest fighting records of any in the army in WW2, yet there has never been a unit history. I am considering making it my next project, & it would be far the richer for personal accounts, letters, diaries, photographs, etc. Families would retain copyright of any material used. If you would be willing or able to share anything with me, I would be most grateful.

For me, the writing & research are all about making individuals' stories known to a wider audience. I don't make a penny out of anything I publish.

Thank you.

Shaun

Author of:
Wykehamists at Gallipoli (privately published, 2011)
The Uncrowned King of Crete (privately published, 2014)
Captains Courageous (Amazon, 2014)
A Noble Company (Sunnyside, April 2024)

Offline adam180

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Saturday 30 March 24 00:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shaun
As it happens, your not the first person I have heard say you couldn't understand why there is not more information, on what the 7th Battalion Ox and Bucks did in WW2.
When I visited the Cowley barracks nearly 20 years ago, David Stanley (who was considered an expert on the 7th Battalion) said exactly the same thing.
I noticed back in the early posts of this thread, I have contributed and would like to help with anything I have, if you was interested.
I am so pleased you are considering writing about it.
Thanks Adam

Offline Oli19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Sunday 31 March 24 14:42 BST (UK) »
My Grandad was with the 7th Battalion of the Ox&Bucks for a fair bit of his time during WW2. I have his war records and over 100 letters and postcards but it’s still difficult to work out what happened to him.  He disembarked at Iraq on 4.11.42 but must have been injured at some point in September 1943 as he was in 14 CCS and No. 3 FDS and spent several months in hospital after that. He then returned to the 7th Battalion and ended up getting captured in Northern Italy and taken to Stalag VIIA.  I think numbers became depleted before he was captured as he was moved into the DCLI just prior to this.

Offline shaunhullis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Tuesday 02 April 24 11:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Shaun
As it happens, your not the first person I have heard say you couldn't understand why there is not more information, on what the 7th Battalion Ox and Bucks did in WW2.
When I visited the Cowley barracks nearly 20 years ago, David Stanley (who was considered an expert on the 7th Battalion) said exactly the same thing.
I noticed back in the early posts of this thread, I have contributed and would like to help with anything I have, if you was interested.
I am so pleased you are considering writing about it.
Thanks Adam

Adam- I was very worried that there would be no one left watching this thread! Would it be possible to ask to see copies of what you have (pictures of the originals, or transcripts)? I’d be so very grateful. Yours, Shaun

Offline shaunhullis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Tuesday 02 April 24 11:28 BST (UK) »
My Grandad was with the 7th Battalion of the Ox&Bucks for a fair bit of his time during WW2. I have his war records and over 100 letters and postcards but it’s still difficult to work out what happened to him.  He disembarked at Iraq on 4.11.42 but must have been injured at some point in September 1943 as he was in 14 CCS and No. 3 FDS and spent several months in hospital after that. He then returned to the 7th Battalion and ended up getting captured in Northern Italy and taken to Stalag VIIA.  I think numbers became depleted before he was captured as he was moved into the DCLI just prior to this.

Oli- Thank you for your post; it may be that your Grandad was moved to the DCLI when 7th Ox & Bucks were disbanded- I’d have so see the dates. I would be very happy to help you sort the information you have into a coherent narrative if uou like. Would it be possible to see copies of what you have (pictures of the originals, or transcripts)?  I’d be hugely grateful. Yours, Shaun

Offline adam180

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Saturday 06 April 24 13:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Shaun
I use google alerts that made me find your post, got it set on the regiment.
I have got a folder in Dropbox I can find, it's got lots in it, a bit muddled up but it will give you an idea of what I have.
I will try to private message it to you, with an outline of its content.
Adam
Ps is there anyway we can look at your books you have wrote.
Not the ones you are selling

Offline shaunhullis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Saturday 06 April 24 16:27 BST (UK) »
Adam- no problem to see my stuff; I can Dropbox it. Presumably there’s a system on here for private messages so I can send you a link?
Shaun

Offline adam180

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Saturday 06 April 24 17:49 BST (UK) »
I have sent a pm Shaun
Let me know if the dropbox link doesnt work.
Adam