Author Topic: Were any of your Relatives on Titanic ? or sister ship Britannic ? /++  (Read 33443 times)

Offline prlights

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Were any of your Relatives on Titanic ? or sister ship Britannic ? /++
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 23 November 06 13:35 GMT (UK) »
Family gossip has it that Titanic 2nd mate Lightowlers is related to the Lightowler side of my family. He survived gave evidence and went on to take his yacht 'Sundowner' over to Dunkirk to rescue soldiers from the beaches, that was in his retirement.
I would love to find the link.

Dave,

Family gossip no more - Charles Herbert Lightoller (2nd Officer Titanic) is a descendant of Rodger de Lihtolres (12th Century Littleborough - from Henry Fishwick's History of Rochdale). I have a copy of the back of a painting of Wyndebanks written on by Charles' wife quoting some of the family history from Fishwick's book.

I also see from other posts that you are struggling to connect the Yorkshire families (Lightowler(s)) with those of Lancashire (Littleborough) - so am I! If you would like to discuss, let me know.

Regards

Paul
Lightowlers, Lightowler, Lightoller, Lihtolres

Offline dave the tyke

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 25 November 06 15:11 GMT (UK) »

Paul

I also see from other posts that you are struggling to connect the Yorkshire families (Lightowler(s)) with those of Lancashire (Littleborough) - so am I! If you would like to discuss, let me know.

Personal message in your post

Dave
Bland, Greenwood Bland, Ellis, Benn, Woodhead, Priestley, Illingworth, Lightowler, Platts, Boys, Bradley, O'Hara, Hall<br /><br />Areas -  North Bierley, Northowram, West Bowling, Horton, Shelf, Allerton, Queensbury, Haworth, Ovenden, Halifax, Luddenden, Midgley, Elland, Littleborough

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 25 November 06 15:32 GMT (UK) »
Any details on Cribbs family? John H. Cribb died Titanic but 17 year old daughter Lillian M. Cribb rescued by Carpathia (wife, 2 sons & another daughter in England were supposed to follow in another ship).
No relation of mine but John H, Cribb was butler to Frank Jay Gould on yacht "Helenita" and my great-grandfather was her captain.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Waks

• RootsChat Extra
  • Gt Grandma Hostead, Gt Aunts Sarah Ann & Lizzie
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 05 April 07 16:02 BST (UK) »
I have 2 confirmed rellies who died on the Titanic...Shadrach & Harry Gale, they were brothers & miners who were travelling to Idaho Springs, California & came from Calstock in Cornwall.

Interestingly...I am also researching the Lightowlers as my gg grandma was Elizabeth Lightowler b1842 in Selby, who married William Richardson.  I'm now wondering if I have anymore rellies involved with the disaster??

Elford/Padfield/Pointing/Selmes - Somerset
Grindell & Horstead - E & W Yks
Richardson/Pheasant/Lightowler/Broadhead - E & W Yks
Walker - Yks
McDermott - Lanarkshire

Offline MrsLizzy

• I am very sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • A Woman Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 06 April 07 05:34 BST (UK) »
My lot too, including the ever-suffering Mrs B. I wouldn't care but I've taken her tree back 100 years further than mine! She says there is something wierd about people who spend so much time stalking round cemeteries!!!

Well done thudnut.

Dave

Can't think what she means . . . I love a good graveyard!
Connell (Mayo & Lancs 19th/20th c) Culling (Norfolk & London 19th c) Diss (Essex) Giesen (UK only 19th/20th c) Hackney (London) Henbest (Kent & Sussex) Hughes (Mayo to Burnley, Lancs & Edward, Parachute Regiment 40s, 50s) Lister (London) Maltby (Marylebone) Mayo (Glos) Nials Noquet (Huguenot) Phillips (S London) Poulain (France & London) Rayner (Halstead, Essex) Pratt (Kent & Sussex) Redfearn (London) Silk Speller (Rodings, Essex) Thompson (S London) Thurley Trundle Wade Westley

Offline fizzix

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 14 April 07 15:01 BST (UK) »
Hi
I don't know if this is of use to anyone but Find my Past have put the Titanic passenger list up for free until April 20th.

http://www.findmypast.com
Walls, James, Waterworth, Coram, Higman, Ecroyd, Battersby, Monk, Hine, Reid, Hancock, Glanville, Hudspith, McDonald, Podesta, Wyatt, Harrison, Scantlebury, Davey, Whiting, Edmonds, Glover, Donnithorne.

"All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline nolongeramember

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 17 April 07 15:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks to a lovely Rootschatter "Penninah" I've just discovered that relatives of my Great Grandmother were survivors of Titanic..
Elsie and Ada Doling - 2nd class passengers.
Thanks Penninah!

jess

Offline gjil

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 17 April 07 23:38 BST (UK) »
Southampton has just had Titanic week and last sunday a service was held on the 95th anniversary of the sinking of the ship. In the old Cemetery on Southampton common are 46 memorials each with names of people who died on the Titanic and came from Southampton. The voluntary organisation I help out with have lots of information on the Titanic and list of those who died. If anyone on roots thinks that they have a relative on the memorials in the cemetery I would be happy to go and take a photograph as I have the plot no's for each grave. Last sunday we laid posies on them
Whitmore  Shoreditch
England Staffordshire & Shoreditch
Kenyon Yorkshire & Lincolnshire
Rooney County Down
Wilkin Lincolnshire
Clare  Lambeth
Cooper Middlesex
Tyas Yorkshire

Offline MrsLizzy

• I am very sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • A Woman Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 18 April 07 16:29 BST (UK) »
I hope there'll be some kind of national commemmoration in 2012, on the 100th anniversary.  I think it's too easy at such a distance in terms of time, for people to forget this was a real horror story that cost hundreds of lives quite unnecessarily.  That should be remembered and kept in mind for future reference.
Connell (Mayo & Lancs 19th/20th c) Culling (Norfolk & London 19th c) Diss (Essex) Giesen (UK only 19th/20th c) Hackney (London) Henbest (Kent & Sussex) Hughes (Mayo to Burnley, Lancs & Edward, Parachute Regiment 40s, 50s) Lister (London) Maltby (Marylebone) Mayo (Glos) Nials Noquet (Huguenot) Phillips (S London) Poulain (France & London) Rayner (Halstead, Essex) Pratt (Kent & Sussex) Redfearn (London) Silk Speller (Rodings, Essex) Thompson (S London) Thurley Trundle Wade Westley