Author Topic: Are there Kerrys in Kerry Co.?  (Read 7642 times)

Offline jkerry

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Are there Kerrys in Kerry Co.?
« on: Sunday 04 June 06 06:30 BST (UK) »
I have just begun tracing my roots. My last name is "Kerry". I've studied a little and know that it is an "Irish" name, but I can't find any "Kerry"s in Kerry. It is not listed anywhere as a Kerry Co. surname. Does anyone know the origins of Kerry as a surname? Please help Roots-masters!

Offline jericho

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Are there Kerrys in Kerry Co.?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 June 06 22:17 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat

I have looked at the Irish Ancestor Surnames for the  surname "Kerry " and it infact seems to be a rare name in Ireland, according to Primary Valuations survey from 1848 to 1864 the Kerry name only appeared  a total of 7 times. However there does appear to be many variations of this surname in Ireland, Cerey, Keary, Keery, Cerry. I may be wrong but could the name be English.

jericho
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jkerry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 June 06 06:30 BST (UK) »
Jericho,
Thanks for your help. I'm guessing I should start with me and work my way back. I've always been told that my last name was Irish! So, I assumed that my roots were in Ireland. What gives me problems is being in the U.S. and tracking back through name changes and such. I'll keep hunting.

Thanks again for your help!
James

Offline jericho

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 June 06 06:45 BST (UK) »
Hi James

Why don't you add the details of the family you are looking for, they could very well have been in Ireland at some stage, if you are not sure of the area put them under Ireland General.  For most of us researching Ireland, it is one of the hardest  Countries to research as most of the records were lost in 1922, but luckily some records did survive and  many of these records are  held in the Parish your family would have came from. Unfortunately for anyone who does not live in Ireland, research is usually much harder, I have been researching my family in Ireland for many years and can not get any further back than the early 1800's. Good luck

jericho
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 June 06 10:17 BST (UK) »
James
I have also had a look at what I have only 7 with the name spelt KERRY non in Co Kerry
the main branch seems to be in Wicklow
I have sent you what I could find in case you can see a connection
looked also for Kerry marriages  non in Co Kerry  but that does not mean there were non as what I have is just a small amount

audrey

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 June 06 11:30 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat

I have looked at the Irish Ancestor Surnames for the  surname "Kerry " and it infact seems to be a rare name in Ireland, according to Primary Valuations survey from 1848 to 1864 the Kerry name only appeared  a total of 7 times. However there does appear to be many variations of this surname in Ireland, Cerey, Keary, Keery, Cerry. I may be wrong but could the name be English.

jericho

Hiya JKerry,

Welcome to RootsChat.

I agree with Jericho regarding the variations of this surname when found in Ireland. I had a look to see if I could find the origin of this surname and learnt that rather than being English as Jericho suggested it is Welsh .. from Montgiomeryshire. It come from the village of Kerrey in that Shire.

Best Wishes, Christopher

Offline jkerry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 05 June 06 20:47 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for looking that up. The hunt has just begun!

Offline GAJM

• I have turned off all notifications of new replies
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 17 May 08 10:08 BST (UK) »
I often use houseofnames.com when researching surnames it is usually very good and it reckons that Kerry is a Welsh surname the link is below if you want to try just put your surname in the search field

http://www.houseofnames.com

Offline joykiller

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 12 August 11 19:26 BST (UK) »
hi,im mark kerry,im english but lived in ireland for a few years,my dad has traced our family tree and in doing so discovered that the kerry surname is in fact welsh and not irish,this was confirmed to me in ireland when i went to the ancestry records building in dublin,any kerry surnames in ireland almost certainly came from montgomeryshire in wales first,this despite there being a county kerry,hope this helps,mark