Author Topic: Sun Ray Treatment  (Read 1933 times)

Offline suttontrust

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Sun Ray Treatment
« on: Sunday 04 June 06 11:39 BST (UK) »
Does anyone remember sunray treatment?  About 55 years ago my brother, aged 6, had to undergo a course of this.  Once a week he went to the clinic and, with other little boys, stripped to his underpants, put on goggles, and sat under special lamps for an hour.  It sounds incredibly dangerous now, and I can find little about it on the web.
Godden in East Sussex, mainly Hastings area.
Richards in Lea, Gloucestershire, then London.
Williamson in Leith, Vickers in Nottingham.
Webb in Bildeston and Colchester.
Wesbroom in Kirby le Soken.
Ellington in Harwich.
Park, Palmer, Segar and Peartree in Kersey.

Offline XPhile2868

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Sun Ray Treatment
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 June 06 13:25 BST (UK) »
I have no idea, but it sounds like the treatment for Seasonal Affective Disorder.
Smith (Lancashire), McKenna (Ireland/Liverpool/Leyland), Maynard (Hertfordshire/London/Preston), Ricketts (Gloucestershire/Wigan/Preston), Scowcroft (Preston), Harling (N. Yorkshire/Lancashire), Willis (Preston), Clegg (Manchester/Preston), Dodd (Wigan/Cheshire), Alston (Lancashire), Hulks (Hertfordshire), Nicholson (Lancashire/Cumbria), Russell (Lancashire), Wilson (Cumbria), Bracewell (Lancashire), Moxham (Lancashire0

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online molar

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Sun Ray Treatment
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 June 06 13:42 BST (UK) »
I had sun ray treatment about 43 years ago. It was as you have described, stripped down to knickers wearing goggles!! We sat on benches for the required period of time and then turned around so we were cooked nicely on both sides ;D The sessions were 2/3 times a week for a period of weeks and I had to undergo 2 courses of treatment. My treatment came after I had been ill with whooping cough. I sometimes wonder if someone will decide to sue the authorities for enforcing us to suffer potentially dangerous exposure ;D I think this the only period of my life when I have had a decent suntan!!

Linda
Allison:Atkinson:Cooper:Forster:Greenway:Grieves:Hickman(also Staffs):Mason:Reed:Tennent:Waggott: Nothumberland/Durham.
Armitage:Balam:Bowden:Dean:Etchells: Farney: Stockport /Manchester
Pollitt: Failsworth.
McVeety: Melia: Ireland/Manchester.
Wathen: Bristol
Voigt: Germany/Bristol/Manchester.
Census information is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk