Author Topic: Grave Depths (into which I've sunk)  (Read 26408 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Re: Grave Depths (into which I've sunk)
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 08 June 06 18:41 BST (UK) »
Guy,
And I do love to read around for insight into the background and conditions my ancestors lived in.  I know that Gray's "Elegy Written in a Country Churchyard" is a popular poem (came 12th in a poll in "The Nation's Favourite Poems" a few years ago), but I particularly like the sentiments written in it; and like to sit and ponder our mortality in churchyards that have family significance...
Keith

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 09 June 06 07:56 BST (UK) »
Guy,
And I do love to read around for insight into the background and conditions my ancestors lived in.  I know that Gray's "Elegy Written in a Country Churchyard" is a popular poem (came 12th in a poll in "The Nation's Favourite Poems" a few years ago), but I particularly like the sentiments written in it; and like to sit and ponder our mortality in churchyards that have family significance...
Keith

Anyone wishing to read that thought provoking poem can find it here
http://www.bartleby.com/101/453.html
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 09 June 06 07:59 BST (UK) »
Great poem!

I've always found if you sit quietly contemplating in a country (or come to that town) graveyard, it's amazing what wildlife you can see.  I think that's why I would agree with you Guy about graveyards being tranquil.

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 09 June 06 08:18 BST (UK) »
Guy,
Well done for putting the whole poem on here!  It's amazing how many of the lines and phrases in it are often quoted today, slipping easily off the tongue, like slogans, almost:
..."Let not ambition mock their useful toil...", and..."The paths of glory lead but to the grave..."  to mention but a couple.
Keith

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 09 June 06 08:33 BST (UK) »
Yes and I presume Thomas Hardy had read it:

Far from the Madding Crowd's ignoble strife...

Kerry :)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 07 May 08 06:48 BST (UK) »
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 07 May 08 07:21 BST (UK) »
Regarding graves and water levels, I believe there were some problems in Weston-Super-Mare with rising water bringing some coffins in the cemetery back to the surface at one point.
Darren
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gwell Angau na Chywilydd - Mametz Wood 1916
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 22 July 11 10:30 BST (UK) »
On a question of depth I noted in one grave in Aberystwyth that the 1st burial was at 10 feet, 12 years later the 2nd (day old baby) was 5 feet, 20 years after that the 3rd was at 7feet 6inches and finally 17 years later at 5feet 6inches.   The burials covered a period of time from 1932 until 1981.

As an afterthought, I remember an old gravedigger telling me how he could tell if there was enough room left in a grave.   He said he would push a steel rod down through the earth and when he heard a squeal that was the depth he had left..................

Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 22 July 11 19:26 BST (UK) »
The practice of burials in a coffin was a progression from the use of a parish coffin, the body being transported in the coffin to the graveside, where the body was removed and lowered into the grave.

What a brilliant idea, especially with cremations, what chance of getting the practice re-introduced, cutting costs of funerals and saving resources?
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)