Author Topic: Grave Depths (into which I've sunk)  (Read 26407 times)

Offline stevieuk

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Grave Depths (into which I've sunk)
« Reply #27 on: Friday 22 July 11 19:51 BST (UK) »
A very old and interesting discussion.

Generally depth for 4 would have been 12-14 feet.

Depth for 3 would be 9-10 feet.

Depth for 2 would be 6-7 feet.

Common graves could be as deep as 25 feet, hand dug - a very frightening thought.

Rules have obviously changed over the years.

The sizes of the deceased will have changed over the years and consequently coffin sizes would have changed, folks have got larger and taller over the past 100 years.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 22 July 11 19:56 BST (UK) »
In Boston Lincs, fenland area graves two deep are unknown due to the very high water table, they are always double the area or more. I was quite amazed whne I saw my grandparents' double depth grave in Cambridge cemetary.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gwell Angau na Chywilydd - Mametz Wood 1916
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 22 July 11 20:06 BST (UK) »
Would it not save space if everyone was buried standing up?   The grave would have to be dug deeper but i imagine a standard size grave surface dimensions of say 7 ft by 2.5 ft could accomodate 3 or 4.

Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline stevieuk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 22 July 11 21:07 BST (UK) »
A coffin grave accommodates a 6 feet 6 inch long by 24 inch wide coffin, a Casket grave accommodates a 7 feet long by 30 inch wide Casket.

You can add approx 6 inches to length and width for the grave space to allow for clearance.

Bearing in mind that a casket is normally 30 inches high and a coffin would be 14 inches plus you wouldn`t save much in grave length and would need to dig 9 feet or thereabouts to accommodate the length, it would not save any space, if anything it would take up more space.

Things are not so simple.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 22 July 11 22:09 BST (UK) »
Regarding the re-use of coffins, RedRoger, we all assume that the very expensive coffin/casket we purchase to farewell loved ones in a cremation is actually burnt as well. Of course, I may be corrected here, but I once applied for a job with a cemetery authority here in Adelaide, and was asked did I have any objections to handling dead bodies in the crematorium; I didn't ask at the time, but it led me to assume that the coffin/casket was not burnt with the body.

Darren
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline stevieuk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 23 July 11 07:48 BST (UK) »
In the UK coffins are not reused.

The coffin that contains the deceased is cremated along with the deceased.

There are very strict rules on the cremation of a human body in the UK.

There is much misunderstanding about Cremation and all to often people who do not know come out with incorrect non factual statements. Crematoriums have open days and anyone is invited to have a look around, there are no secrets and nothing is hidden - it can be very interesting and it is not at all frightening.

Offline trish58

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 24 July 11 01:40 BST (UK) »
I have the burial records of my Grand parents and their grave is 12' deep.

Trish :)
Rae, Feeney, Singleton, Appleton, Agnew, McKeachie,
Fury, & many more

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 24 July 11 08:08 BST (UK) »
Regarding the re-use of coffins, RedRoger, we all assume that the very expensive coffin/casket we purchase to farewell loved ones in a cremation is actually burnt as well. Of course, I may be corrected here, but I once applied for a job with a cemetery authority here in Adelaide, and was asked did I have any objections to handling dead bodies in the crematorium; I didn't ask at the time, but it led me to assume that the coffin/casket was not burnt with the body.

Darren

These days very few coffins used in the UK (and probably elsewhere) are real “wood”.
They tend to be made from chipboard with a good quality veneer, which looks like real wood. The nameplate, handles and inner linings are made of artificial materials, not metal.

There is nothing in law to prevent a biodegradable cardboard coffin being inserted in an outer casket and being withdrawn prior to cremation or burial allowing the casket to be re-used as in former times.
Such use would also be in line with environmental concerns about pollutant emissions from cremation.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline stevieuk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 24 July 11 09:14 BST (UK) »
Just to add a little more to Guy`s post with regards to the use of an outer casket ( coffin cover ), I`ve included a link which shows and details how it is used and also other info.

http://www.funeralsearch.co.uk/coffin-cover.php

There are various other types of coffins suitable for cremation, Wicker types, standard chipboard veneer types, there are also coffins made from recycled newsprint/paper, it is also allowable for solid wood ie; Oak coffins to be cremated (metal handles are not allowed). In ALL cases the only metals allowed are what is needed to allow construction (nails, staples and screws) and the types of metals are restricted. You can if you wish make & use your own coffin, subject to the approval of the Cremation/Burial authority.