Author Topic: Lamberton Toll Irregular Marriages - Look-up request  (Read 3920 times)

Offline JDB307

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Lamberton Toll Irregular Marriages - Look-up request
« on: Sunday 04 June 06 20:53 BST (UK) »
I am led to believe that Berwick Archives hold the records of 52 irregular marriages that took place at Lamberton toll over the period 1820-1897.  My great grand parents, Robert Gibson (1836-1917) and Ann Renwick (b.1839) were married there on 16 December 1857.  I would be very grateful if someone could take a look at the record of this marriage to see if it identifies their parents, giving me a way around the present brickwall.

Regards,  Jack
BLYTH of Wemyss, Markinch, Dysart, Kirkcaldy
Also MACKIE, SIMPSON, CARSTAIRS, CHRISTIE, LEITCH, DUNCAN, PENMAN, LAMBERT, BEVERIDGE, GIBSON, RENWICK

NEWBY of Sweffling, Benhall, Peasenhall area of Suffolk

Offline ScottishAncestry

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Lamberton Toll Irregular Marriages - Look-up request
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 June 06 11:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Jack,

I recently phoned the record office about these particular marriages. Apparently they are just extracts from the newspapers and simply state that the couple where married on such and a date and nothing ells, not even parents names. I think some years are better but these years seem to be poor. However if you phone the record office where they are held they may be able to advice.

Emma

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 June 06 12:50 BST (UK) »
Jack,

A search on RootsChat for Lamberton brings up several posts - a couple include further information about available records.

The IGI lists 9 children between 1858 and 1873 to Robert GIBSON and Ann RENWICK, all born in Berwickshire Scotland (the first in Duns, the second in Hutton and the rest in Coldstream).  Do you have the birthplaces of Robert and of Ann from censuses?  Presumably they were in Scotland for the 1861 and 1871 - these censuses are online at (the pay-per-view site) ScotlandsPeople at:
http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

If you find their birthplaces, you might be able to find them in the 1841 and 1851 censuses (on SP if they were in Scotland) and this could help you to identify their parents.

I assume that neither of them died in Scotland?  Scottish death certificates (also available on SP) are wonderfully informative and include (if known by the informant) the the name and occupation of the deceased's father, and the name and maiden surname of the deceased's mother.

JAP   

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 June 06 23:45 BST (UK) »
I visited Berwick archives many times and Lynne was very Helpful phone 01289301865 and speak to her she may can help There is also an e-mail address
Sorry I cannot put my hands on it at the moment ask Jeeves
good luck
Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline JDB307

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 June 06 10:24 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth,
thanks for that.  I'll give Lynne a call and will probably plan a visit later in the year.  I found the email address on GENUKI.
Regards,
Jack
BLYTH of Wemyss, Markinch, Dysart, Kirkcaldy
Also MACKIE, SIMPSON, CARSTAIRS, CHRISTIE, LEITCH, DUNCAN, PENMAN, LAMBERT, BEVERIDGE, GIBSON, RENWICK

NEWBY of Sweffling, Benhall, Peasenhall area of Suffolk

Offline son of sandy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 01 May 11 17:06 BST (UK) »
Robert Gibson's parents were Robert Gibson/Jane[Jean] Gibson.
They had 13 children,Robert married twice,no issue.
His sister Mary was my 2x great grandmother.
Any more info,please contact.
Gerry.