Author Topic: Henry Charles Waldron and Catherine (nee Weir)  (Read 3568 times)

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Charles Waldron and Catherine (nee Weir)
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 26 July 06 20:08 BST (UK) »
I've had a look but I'm struggling. They must have been in Devonport in 1860-ish for the birth of Sarah Ann and Catherine was born in Woolwich in 1862. I've looked in both and searched more generally but so far, nothing! You'd think as Thomas is connected to the army than he couldn't be missed out in the census - or am i just being naive?
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 26 July 06 22:00 BST (UK) »
Well, I'm admitting defeat on the 1861 having spent most of the evening searching. But, I do have some info whihc might help you go further back. The couple didn't seem over-fond of registering the births of their children apart from Sarah Ann Weir registered March quarter 1860 Stoke Damerel (covered Devonport) vol 5b page 318. The birth cert would give Mary Ann's maiden name.
Having given up on 1861, I had a quick look at 1851 and found
39 Finch Street, Liverpool HO107/2184 folio 244 pg 7
Thomas Weir head mar 30 soldier Royal Artillery b. Ireland
Mary Ann wife 18 b. Ireland
Ann sister unm 25 b. Ireland
John son 1 month b. Lancashire, Liverpool

That's the same birth years as 1881, he's in the army, same birth places? It looks a possible. His sister has come to stay to help with new baby by the looks of it.

Also spotted this marriage registration June quarter 1850 West Derby(Liverpool) vol 20 page 1041, on the same page Thomas Weir and Mary Ann Hullahan. This is when there are 4 couples to a page, but if you get Sarah A's birth certificate, it would confirm maiden name - unless you already know it of course! 

I don't know what to suggest for 1861 - perhaps they're visiting family  in Ireland? On a missing sheet, not enumerated or I just can't see them. It might be worth posting on the army board? If Thomas was in the Royal Artillery, there will be records at the National Archives, but I have no experience of finding these and I don't know if the records would tell you where he was at a particular time. I would think you could trace this regiment though. Again a query for the army board.

hope this helps.

modified to add forgotten census ref
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman

Offline telephonist

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 27 July 06 01:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for your time and energy spent on this. I'm nowdiscussing with another family relative so will get back on board when i sort this out.
We were of the opinion Thomas wife called Sarah in the beginning???
Hall -Devon,
Atkinson-Gateshead Durham.
Weir - Swansea
Sumner - Warwickshire
Morrall - Warwickshire
Hill -Cornwall, Australia and NZ
Penhallurick - Cornwall and Australia
McNally - Ireland and UK
Tooze - Devon

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 27 July 06 19:06 BST (UK) »
She's Mary Ann on every census I've seen - 1871,1881,1891 and the possible 1851. There's a bit of an age gap between them, could Thomas have been married before? The best way to check would be to get a birth certificate for one of the children which would confirm wife's maiden name. Then you could get the marriage cert if the one I found is correct, and this would say whether Thomas was a bachelor or widower.

Strangely, I found a couple called Waldon in 1901 living in Deptford, husband George but wife Catherine born Woolwich 1863. They had children older than 10 so don't think it is them but it gave me hopes of finding her yet in 1901.