Author Topic: how do i find out  (Read 1695 times)

Offline dwalin

• RootsChat Veteran
  • looking into the past.lets you see the future
    • View Profile
how do i find out
« on: Tuesday 06 June 06 14:18 BST (UK) »
 ;D hi i have happily sent of for and recieved my ggggranda's marraige .in 1809

his name was
archibald marshall and he married mary/margaret chalmers.in 1809.

i thought on the extract it would say where they married
ie.church/chapel/mathodist.

but it doesent it just says parish torphichen county of linlithgow.
is there any way i can pin point where he married.

thank you dwalin
harris , penrose,jose.davison.layton.leighton.summerson.bennet.clasper.wallett.cadwallader.johnson.jobling.bell (cook?)      />craig.stokoe.marshall.chalmers.white.bainbridge.waite.trevena.trenwith.polkinghorn.dixon.jopling.powell.ivey.greenhow
lloyd

Offline runner

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: how do i find out
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 June 06 15:40 BST (UK) »

Hi Dwalin
Often the Old Parish records were rather short on information. They were, after all a record of the posting of Banns rather than recording an actual marriage.

There is a strong possibility that they were married according to the Forms of the Established Church i.e. the Church of Scotland. Many marriages which took place according to the forms of another church were not handed over or have not survived to become part of the current archive. There was a massive fragmentation of the church  in the 1700's with many congregations secceding from the Church of Scotland so there were Episcopalian, Free Church of Scotland and some Methodist churches in various parts of Scotland with fragmentation within these too.

It is highly unlikely that your ggg's marriage took place in church at all. Most were conducted in a domestic setting.

Most Scottish parishes were centred round a parish church so you have a good idea of the locality. Go to http://www.old-maps.co.uk/ The maps there are probably more recent but the parish will be essentially the same as it was in the early 1800's.

This is becoming a combined history and geography lesson  ???

Russell
1941-2016
Oman in Caithness, Reside in Renfrewshire,
Roan or Rowan Kirkcudbrightshire/Ayrshire
Watsons in Kilrenny and Mortons in Edinburgh.

Offline dwalin

• RootsChat Veteran
  • looking into the past.lets you see the future
    • View Profile
Re: how do i find out
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 June 06 12:11 BST (UK) »
thank you russell.thats a great help sorry im so late replying my thanks.
 ;D and i need al the help i can get lol.
i think this is what is so nice about rootschat
there are so many different people to learn from.
and so many interesting topics.
 ;D
thank you again.
dwalin
harris , penrose,jose.davison.layton.leighton.summerson.bennet.clasper.wallett.cadwallader.johnson.jobling.bell (cook?)      />craig.stokoe.marshall.chalmers.white.bainbridge.waite.trevena.trenwith.polkinghorn.dixon.jopling.powell.ivey.greenhow
lloyd