Author Topic: Gas Light & Coke Company London 1915  (Read 61782 times)

Offline Pete Keane

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gas Light & Coke Company London 1915
« Reply #90 on: Monday 09 May 11 20:00 BST (UK) »
Ok, had a bit more success today.

Syd Crow appears on page 162 of the July 1915 edition, and there is a photo of him on page 164.

He is mentioned on page 24 of the remembrance Programme - one of the two pages I dont have.

The text in the magazine is as follows:

'The subject of this photograph has been reported as missing since March 12th (1915). he was engaged in the battle of Neuve Chapelle when last heard of. he was employed at Beckton as a Boiler Trimmer, and is the son of H.Crow of the Mainlaying Department.'

I have scanned copies of the annuals - each scan is a full year so I cannot attach them to emails I'm afraid - maybe you could pm Biker and see if he could scan the two pages?

Cheers

Pete

Offline Pete Keane

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Monday 09 May 11 20:03 BST (UK) »

Offline ali

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Tuesday 10 May 11 13:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Pete.

Thank you for that, I didn't see the first message about more information as I could have told you that he was listed as working for the company on the 1911 census but nevertheless you have found him anyway.

I have had contact with Biker and am awaiting the information and hopefully the photo from him but I know he is busy so I just have to be patient.  The photograph of Sydney would be the only photo I have of this side of the family.

I know they eventually found and identified Sydney as a I have a photograph of his Commonwealth War Grave headstone from the wargrave photographic people but it is nice (if that is the right word) to know what battle he lost his life in as it enables me to continue to build up the social history of this side of the family.

Thank you for your time Pete, it is most appreciated.

Ali.
Searching for

Woodman (Frocester, Great Rissington, Slimbridge, Aston, Birmingham, Bedford, St Albans)
Phillips (Aston, Birmingham)
Crow (King's Lynn, Hull, East Ham)
Gillett (Moreton in Marsh, East Ham)
Jellyman (Coaley, Birmingham Anywhere in Worcestershire or Staffordshire)
Hopkins (Ashleworth, Westbury on Severn)
Curtis (Gloucester, Aston, Birmingham)
Drinkwater (Castle Moreton, Worcestershire and Gloucestershire)
Jackson (Essex)

Plus many more

Offline Pete Keane

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Tuesday 10 May 11 18:50 BST (UK) »
Ali

He is also named on the GL&C war memorial - I will see if I can find an image where the names are readable, will post it here if I can.

Pete

Offline Mark Gobell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Friday 08 July 11 12:09 BST (UK) »
Peter

Am I correct in understanding that you have the Co-Partners publications on CDs?

If so, I'd love to have a copy if possible please.

Thank you

Mark

Offline Pete Keane

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Monday 11 July 11 14:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Mark

I have copies of all but 1917, problem is that it has been saved in a non-downloadable format so all I can do is look at them, not save them to my computer - otherwise i could post them up here.

However, they were copied for me by the Gas Archive in Warrington, they have done all the hard work and I'm sure will send you cd's if you ask them.

Think its www.gasarchive.org or similar

My real interest is in the Tottenham Gas Company, which is a completely seperate entity, but found the annuals too interesting to just get rid of!

Pete

Offline Mark Gobell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Monday 25 July 11 09:16 BST (UK) »
Peter

Thanks for your reply.

I have contacted the Gas Archives before and will do so again now I know exactly what to ask for.

I've also found that the Co Partners magazines are all held at the Stratford Archives in Newham, London, viewing by appointment.

I am interested in my great uncle Rfm 1465 Frederick J Gobell, 12th Londons "The Rangers", kia, 1.7.1916 at Gommecourt.

He is on the Beckton Gasworks Memorial and was a pre war territorial, enlisting in 1912, most probably in B Company from Beckton Gas.  Unfortunately his service records are burnt at the NA.

If he is referenced in the Co Partners volumes I'd be delighted to know.

Thanks Peter.

Mark

Offline Pete Keane

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Monday 25 July 11 11:15 BST (UK) »
Mark

I will have a look for you.

It is definitely worth you obtaining all the copies (if you can get the 1917 annual as well it would help here) as there are many photos of recruiting meetings etc.

The memorial photos were submitted to the magazine by the relatives, so a photo isnt always included, but text generally is.

Will be back soon.

Pete.

Offline mistermizu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: Sunday 12 August 12 01:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Biker,
Great to have stumbled across your thread!
My great grandfather, Harry Young, was an Inspector at G.L. & C. for many years. I see from your list of photos that you have something about his eldest son, Victor Harry YOUNG (my great uncle). Victor was killed in action, aged 20 yrs, at the Second battle of Ypres, in Belgium, 23rd April 1915, serving with Queen Victoria's rifles.  The Germans launched a chlorine gas attack at Ypres on 22nd April, 1915, its first use on the Western front, and it seems likely that Victor was involved in that infamous battle.
I would very much appreciate any info/pics you might have.
Keep up the good work!
Mat
(Image below is of a 1914 Star, such as the one awarded posthumously to Private Young)