Author Topic: Rochdale certificates: transcripts or photocopies?  (Read 1750 times)

Offline Lambendsor (aka IGS)

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Rochdale certificates: transcripts or photocopies?
« on: Tuesday 06 June 06 21:54 BST (UK) »
I have three Heap births (from 1869, 1871, and 1873) registered in Rochdale and wonder if I should get the certificates from the local office or from the GRO.

Are Rochdale certificates typed and/or handwritten transcriptions or are they photocopies or xeroxes of the original certificates?
ENDSOR: Tamworth/Manchester
LAMB: Leeds/Manchester
SMITH: Manchester
HOLMES: Kirk Ireton/Manchester
WORTHINGTON: Middleton/Manchester
SHORROCK: Manchester
BROOKS: Wilmslow/Knutsford
By marriage in Manchester: BAXENDALE, DODD, EYERS, FIRTH, FISHER, FO(R)STER, HARGREAVES, J(A/E)RVIS, McKEOWN, OSBALDESTON, PICKWELL, PODMORE, SCHOFIELD, SHALLCROSS, STONES, WALKER
GREY, DOYLE, GOLDEN, MONAHAN: Ireland
HAWE, FRENEY, NARY: Co. Kilkenny
DONOHO and variants: Co. Longford

Offline SheilaM

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Rochdale certificates: transcripts or photocopies?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 June 06 23:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Igs

I have had 7 or 8 certificates from Rochdale and all have been handwritten transcriptions.

Regards ... Sheila
LANCS Rochdale: Sanderson, Burke. Crompton/Shaw: Robinson, Walkden, Swann<br />Oldham: Sandiford, Mitchell<br />STAFFS Willenhall/Cheslyn Hay: Stokes, Broom<br />SOMERSET: Bath:  Broom/Hawkins/Plowman/Roberts/West<br />YORKS: Gibson, Helliwell<br />IRELAND: Burke, Holmes<br />USA/Canada: Sanderson<br />WILTSHIRE: Hawkins<br /><br />All census information is Crown Copyright

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 June 06 23:57 BST (UK) »
Hmmmm - that's not quite as nice as having a copy of the original certificate - so even though the GRO ones don't have the actual signatures of the participants, I guess I'll go with GRO. Modern day handwriting or typing isn't quite as interesting as Victorian longhand.

I don't think my great-great grandmother was able to sign her name, anyway, so it's not the end of the world.

Thanks sheilaM!
By marriage in Manchester: BAXENDALE, DODD, EYERS, FIRTH, FISHER, FO(R)STER, HARGREAVES, J(A/E)RVIS, McKEOWN, OSBALDESTON, PICKWELL, PODMORE, SCHOFIELD, SHALLCROSS, STONES, WALKER

Online Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 June 06 15:38 BST (UK) »
My certificates from Rochdale have always been handwritten, too.  However, the last lot I ordered from the GRO took nearly four weeks to arrive, as they are apparently snowed under there with requests. It depends how keen you are to get them!

Also, the GRO charge you a £2 handling fee, if the details you give don't agree with their records, whereas local offices return your fee in full under those circumstances.

Regards,
Gill   :)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 June 06 16:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks - I wound up ordering three from GRO. I'm in no huge hurry, fortunately, and I think I have all the index numbers right, so we'll see what happens...

Offline mikehicks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 13 August 06 18:55 BST (UK) »
I have never been able to get to the bottom of this question. Sometimes you can get a photocopy of the original entry (with the actual signatures on marriage entries). I have had a few from Manchester Register Office (Heron House) like this, and i know the signatures are originals as i have had other samples of their signatures. Sometimes if you ask the office for a photocopy they will do that if the size of the original is copiable (the sizes of the records have changed over the years).

Cartledge, Rushton, Winnington (Salford/Manchester)
Hicks(Manchester, Monmouthshire)

Offline aitnax

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 26 August 06 23:00 BST (UK) »
anybody researching in Rochdale could check my Rochdale cemetery transcripts at Rochdale cemetery its not compleate but i have done over 10,000 and put them online at http://www.interment.net/data/eng/lancashire/rochdale/rochdale.htm
hope this helps someone regards Aitnax
Fisk  Woodton, Ellingham ,Kirby Cane,Lowestoft  Stockton On Tees Co Durham Hartlepool Co Durham<br />Crossley Failsworth <br /> Holden/Holdam Cleckheaton West Yorks /Read Hartlepool Durham Gorleston Norfolk<br />Daniels Cleckheaton yks<br />Thompson Sunderland Ollerton Lancashire <br />Barnes Sunderland<br /><br />All Census Lookups Are Crown Copywright from<br />www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
http://www2.tribalpages.com/tribe/browse?userid=xantia550t&x=15&y=7&rand=517892893

Online Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 27 August 06 09:43 BST (UK) »
Hi aitnax

I've been referring to your Rochdale cemetery transcripts for some time now, and find them really useful, though my Hurst family grave seems to have disappeared (or maybe you haven't reached it yet).  I found an unexpected branch of the family on the transcripts, which led me on to further discoveries, and I was able to get a copy of the grave record from the ever-helpful Rochdale Local Studies.

Just glad of the opportunity to thank you for your hard work and let you know it's really appreciated.   ;)

Regards,
Gillg
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline SheilaM

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 27 August 06 10:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Aitnax

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank you for all the hard work you have put into the transcripts and let you know how much it is appreciated.

I've found a branch of my family on there and check it regularly in the hope of finding more.

Best regards
Sheila
LANCS Rochdale: Sanderson, Burke. Crompton/Shaw: Robinson, Walkden, Swann<br />Oldham: Sandiford, Mitchell<br />STAFFS Willenhall/Cheslyn Hay: Stokes, Broom<br />SOMERSET: Bath:  Broom/Hawkins/Plowman/Roberts/West<br />YORKS: Gibson, Helliwell<br />IRELAND: Burke, Holmes<br />USA/Canada: Sanderson<br />WILTSHIRE: Hawkins<br /><br />All census information is Crown Copyright