Author Topic: Wallasey Working Mens Institute  (Read 3061 times)

Offline Skipworth

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Wallasey Working Mens Institute
« on: Wednesday 07 June 06 05:48 BST (UK) »
I am interested to know if the building is still there.

I am interested in any information.

Thank you
Skipworth in Aus

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Wallasey Working Mens Institute
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 June 06 12:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Skipworth
I remember your Peers family well, I cant tell you if the building is still standing or not.I do know there was a old small (at the front) building looked a bit church like.When i was there a few years ago.Apart from wanting to know if it is still there and the info you have from the directory.What other information are you looking for? I might find something in the library Because of George's contributions to the area. Plus the fact he was must have been well known at the time

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline Skipworth

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 June 06 00:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Celia - I thought you may pick up the request ;D   You were a wonderful help with my last request.

I would love a photo of the building if it is still there and wondered if it is there, what it is used for today.   I am also curious to know if the Bowling Club is still in existence and if its name is connected to our family and if it is, perhaps a photo.

I don't ask for much do I :D :D :D

Only if you have time ,the inclination and the opportunity presents itself Celia - there is absolutely no rush.

Cheers for now
Skipworth

Offline celia

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 June 06 10:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Skipworth
though i would get this in early.  Because the club and George  H. Peers go back to 1876 and maybe before,it will be classed as local history.So i am sure the archives in Birkenhead will have some information they can dig out for me because they hold older documents. Rather than the   reference  library that might start me with some info. So I will consantrate on the club, and George,I am no history buff on buildings.So i will enjoy a new challenge ;D I might pick up the golf   Bowling club on the way. I know someone who has had a brain like a sponge ;D since young.It absorbed anything.Or he read the full set of an Encyclopaedia  by the time he was ten.So he might come in handy ;)
Do you have a death year/place for George.Did he stay in Wallasey or thereabouts.If not do you know when he left. Knowing these dates will help with years to look into. right i am going out before it gets to hot.

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

Offline celia

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 June 06 11:38 BST (UK) »
Hey

Guess what

G H Peers. Social and Leisure Club is still in St Georges Road, Wallasey. What a good start :)

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

Offline celia

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 09 June 06 15:04 BST (UK) »
To Skipworth
 To one very very lucky Lady,(you are a lady arnt you :-\ ;D )
from a double stunned one :o. In Fact i was that stunned that  i forgot to get off the bus in town to get another one. It was only when the driver braked i came too and found myself going in the opposite direction to where i lived and i had to walk home ;D.You probably haven't seen the above post yet, being in oz. Forget the info i asked for i don't need it. I am going to have to write it all out on my computer then copy and paste it on here.Till the rest of my mind comes back.I wont keep you waiting to long. Back later lucky  :-\ Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

Offline celia

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 09 June 06 21:59 BST (UK) »
Hi again
Don’t know where to start really, just that I was in the right place at the right time.I had gone to town got what I wanted very quickly. So as I was half way to wallasey village decided on the spur of the moment to catch the bus down there. To see if I could find this club so I could return to take some photo’ not really expecting to find the original building. As there isn’t many building in-between the houses .Thought it wouldn't’t take long, couldn't’t find it though, someone directed me, but I still couldn't’t see it, the only building next to the church was a bowling club ;D. It turned out to be a very rewarding afternoon. I will P.M you the results

Celia
 Edited 11th June 2006 This post has been edited of some information at my own discretion. Nothing to do with copyright ;D
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

Offline celia

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 09 June 06 22:21 BST (UK) »
Will send you rest off line
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

Offline Skipworth

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 10 June 06 02:16 BST (UK) »
Wow Celia what wonderful news.  You certainly know how to 'bring home the goods'.

Cheers for now