Author Topic: George Morison  (Read 7371 times)

Offline poppysmum

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Granpa Wilson and Cousin Dod - Peebles Cemetery
    • View Profile
Re: George Morison
« Reply #9 on: Monday 26 November 07 09:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi

1881 High street, north side, peebles

George Morison 48 born Burntisland  Chemist and druggist, Registrar of Births marriages and employing 1 apprentice

Sarah W morison 45 born Peebles

John W Armstrong 39 Visitor born England  drapers Assistant

Helen tait 24 Servant Born Innerleithan  General Serbant.

Caroline
Whytes, Durness; Bulloch, lanarkshire; Wilson, lanarkshire; Wilson, peebleshire; Rickelton, Glasgow; Harris, ayrshire and glasgow ; Steele, ayrshire; Duffy, leith Smith, Leith;  Stewart, ayrshire and Glasgow

Offline poppysmum

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 26 November 07 09:51 GMT (UK) »
1891   20 high street peebles

George morison 59 Chemist and drugist   born Burntisland

sarah Morison 56  born Peebles
Whytes, Durness; Bulloch, lanarkshire; Wilson, lanarkshire; Wilson, peebleshire; Rickelton, Glasgow; Harris, ayrshire and glasgow ; Steele, ayrshire; Duffy, leith Smith, Leith;  Stewart, ayrshire and Glasgow

Offline poppysmum

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 26 November 07 09:56 GMT (UK) »
1 1908 MORISON GEORGE     M 76 PEEBLES /PEEBLES 768/00 0038 VIEW (5 CREDITS) ORDER

1 1908 MORISON SARAH WHINCUP   ARMSTRONG F 73 PEEBLES /PEEBLES 768/00 0048 VIEW (5 CREDITS) ORDER

There they are!!

I couldn't see them on ancestry in 1901 but they must be there if the didn't die until 1908.

I have a lot of relatives in peebles and live down the road, next ime i go i could have a look in the graveyard for you if you want.

Caroline

Offline marp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 26 November 07 11:48 GMT (UK) »
Caroline, thanks for the information.   I take it that the last posting refers to the deaths of George Morison and his wife?  I was a bit unsure as to what the 5 credits and the reference numbers were about.

If you see any monument inscriptions or anything of interest in the graveyard I would be really delighted to hear from you.

many thanks,  marp

Offline poppysmum

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 26 November 07 12:10 GMT (UK) »
oh sorry,

they are from www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

you have to but credits and you will be able to see their death certificates and find out their parents names.

Have you registered with scotlandspeople yet?

if you want to i can tell you how to saerch so you find their entries,

caroline

Offline marp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 26 November 07 12:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi,  I thought they might be from the  www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk  database.  Yes, I have registered with them and will go and have a  search.   I know who George Morison's parents are.  I am tying up the loose ends of the Morison family originally from Burntisland, Fife.
Thanks for all your help, marp

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 26 November 07 14:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi marp

They had 2 rs in 1901:

RD 768 Ed 2 Page 4

20 High Street, Peebles

George Morrison, 69, Chemist Drugist, b. Burntisland
Sarah, 65, b. b. Peebles

Gadget :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline marp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 27 November 07 03:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone for the George Morison information.   He is a gg-uncle and I am tying up the loose ends of the Morison family so this has been a great help.

Interested to see the double 'r' in their name by 1901, the branch of the Morison family who emigrated to Australia were insistent that the name had only one 'r'.   They did not seem to appreciate the vagaries of spelling in earlier eras!

thanks again,
 marp

Offline poppysmum

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 28 November 07 09:54 GMT (UK) »
It could just be a transcription error on ancestry, they seemed to have used the one 'r' on their death certificates (if that makes sense! ::))

I saw that George Morison was a registrar, the house my auntie lives in in Peebles is where all the records of the registrar were kept.  I'm not sure if this would have been at the time your George had the job as it is not in the High Street.

Just thought you might like to know this piece of Peebles trivia!

Caroline

and i promise next time i am in peebles i wil have a look for their graves