Author Topic: Could someone tell me when a farm was built or how to do it my self  (Read 1390 times)

Offline hazeltree

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Could someone tell me when a farm was built or how to do it my self
« on: Thursday 08 June 06 08:15 BST (UK) »
Please could someone help me out i am looking for the date of when PISTYL GOLEN was built.it is in the county of GLAMORGAN in the parish of LLANNWONO .thank you 

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Could someone tell me when a farm was built or how to do it my self
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 June 06 08:36 BST (UK) »

What is the earliest date that you have for its existence?
Different resources may be suggested for each era.

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Chasing-fireflies

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Genealogy is like Chasing fireflies....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 June 06 14:21 BST (UK) »
Have you tried visiting the area to see if the remains or even the building still exist? You could maybe ask the local library there if they know a historian who may of researched it as thats what i did for Bridgend.The local library may even have info on it!
Previously - Badgirl
Thomas-Llangynwyd
Morgan-Garw / Sirhowy
Richards - Bettws
Philips - Rhondda
Pinn - London

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 June 06 16:22 BST (UK) »
Reply by PM (info for others)

"I have found it on the 1881 census and on an 1884 map but nothing earlier"

So, given that it was prior to 1881, try looking for the address on previous census(es), and earlier maps. The records office local to there is likely to be the best source of maps, the 1871 (&before)  census can be browsed at a LDS centre or at a number of public libraries.

Pauline

All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 June 06 20:02 BST (UK) »
Is it in Pontyprid?  If so the spelling has changed slightly (there's no 'y') and the resident was Llewellyn.
go to www.historicaldirectories.org and use 'Keyword'  GOLEN.   Several directories from 1860's will come up.
Rena
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Crinoline

• RootsChat Member
  • Looking for some roots...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 09 July 06 20:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Hazeltree,

(Will PM you re this:-)

Crinoline.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline welshjo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 10 July 06 13:47 BST (UK) »
Have you had a look if there is a Tithe map and schedule for the area. Done around 1847 they list the land and who works it.
I find an ancestor in the Glyncorrwg area working a farm - his name was Thomas Thomas and the farm Tyn Y Pant. From the schedule and map I managed to work out the extent of his empire! It was bigger than just one farm and had lots of fields and some other buildings.
Might be a place to start if you know the rough area.

I don't know where you live, but I know Bridgend reference library has some maps and schedule for their area - but don't know how far they extend - you may have to call them, or the library nearest the area.
Jones, Davies, Evans, Williams, Daniel, Thomas - Glamorgan
Keen, Goodwin, Pyatt, Leese, Bailey, Loffill, Stubley, Brassington, Blurton,  - Staffs