Author Topic: Record Office - profiteering or discouraging business?  (Read 3058 times)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Record Office - profiteering or discouraging business?
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 10 June 06 18:53 BST (UK) »
Hi MarieC

For more info. on Dade Parish Registers see

Topic: Dade Parish Registers
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,82760.0.html

Bob

Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Lesanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 10 June 06 22:55 BST (UK) »
  :-\ If the exchange rate is 2.5 Aus$ to £1, then $105 is the charge
    to find my Louis Crays and Mary Miller marriage.  :-\

1830 St Anne's Church in Limehouse, London. The elation of finding this after years of trawling was only believable to other like minded brickwall bashers.  ;D

Hence the plea for anyone visiting the LMA, as I believe that's the only place to get the information from..
                                                  Lesanne.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Berks Bucks Oxon= Norris Coxhead Turner Cox Weston Baston Simpson
Kent= Nicholls Mepstead Watts   Mile End=Craze Wood Bennett
Cork=Howe   NZ=Coxhead   Canada=Fenn Cox Turner

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 11 June 06 05:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Paul and Bob!

That's an excellent article on Dade registers - very informative!

One of Little Nell's posts said that Northumberland had Dade registers, or something similar, and the article does not mention Northumberland.  Does anyone know about this?  Because I have a real interest in cracking a brick wall there. 

I've told the Durham Records Office, very politely, that I will not be pursuing my enquiry with them because of the cost.  So I won't recontact them.  I will wait to see if the other Rootschatter can organise a lookup, and if not, I'll probably order in the film.

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 11 June 06 13:43 BST (UK) »
One of Little Nell's posts said that Northumberland had Dade registers, or something similar, and the article does not mention Northumberland. 

That info (not verified I must admit) came from book by two respected writers, Jean Cole and John Titford.  I've looked in other books I have on the shelf, but no-one else seems to mention them so I really don't know for certain.  Sorry Marie.  :(

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 12 June 06 08:28 BST (UK) »
Never mind, Nell!  Based on what you said originally, I might get at least one film in.  My original informant said that if the IGI, in listing a baptism, lists the mother by maiden name, that often indicates a Dade register.  So I have a couple of indicators there...!

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 12 June 06 12:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Marie,

I've checked some old magazines for articles on Dade registers - the best article is in Family Tree Magazine Vol 11 Issue 9 p9 by Pauline Litton.  Unfortunately it doesn't give a list of which parishes are known to have Dade registers.  It does mention that Chris Webb has catalogued those within the modern Archdeaconry of York (there are 100+ of those) and they are listed in a book A Guide to the Parish Records in the Borthwick Institute of Historical Research.  Pauline says in her article (dated July 1995) that there appears to be little information about how common the system was outside the north-east of England. 

I suspect that nobody really knows!

Nell

PS Just read a bit more: Alnwick in Northumberland has a Dade-type register!
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk