Author Topic: Joseph LAMBE family 1909, Shercock  (Read 11807 times)

Offline terentio

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Joseph LAMBE family 1909, Shercock
« on: Friday 09 June 06 21:33 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am trying to trace details of the LAMBE family from Killcrossduff, SHERCOCK, county CAVAN. JOSEPH LAMBE was born 23 April 1909. His father was JOHN LAMBE. JOHN LAMBE's father was SIMON LAMBE born 1841(?) and mother MARY (MARGARET).

The family are and have been Catholic but I am unsure of the name of the Church they would have attended. The parish may have been Killann.

I have recently been given a link with St's Peter's and Paul's Parish at MARRACLUNE (not sure of spelling). I don't yet know if there is anything in this.

Is anybody able to offer any further information? I would be very grateful.
Many thanks and best wishes,

Terentio

Offline nchistory

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph LAMBE family 1909, Shercock
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 October 10 13:38 BST (UK) »
My great-great-grandmother was born Catherine Lamb c. 1815 and emigrated to Edinburgh, where she later gave her birthplace to a census-taker as 'Marraclune, Ireland', but she frequently lied about her age, so it was hard to find anything more until I found this post and homed in on Cavan and Monaghan. Magheraclune or Magheracloone is in co Monaghan very near the border with Cavan (where Catherine Lamb McMahon's husband Joseph McMahon and their first two children were born) and the parish, which now seems to be joined to Carrickmacross, is still St Peter & Paul's Magheracloone, with its own website:
http://www.mylocalnews.ie/articles/667/4/st-patrick-s-st-peter-st-paul-s-453/magheracloone-parish-newsletter-5530/
No records from Co. Monaghan are on the Irish Family History Foundation website, but I suppose it's still possible they exist locally.
My mother was a McMahon, but my father's father was a Carolan from the neighbouring part of Cavan despite a later change in the spelling to Carlin.

Offline terentio

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 October 10 11:17 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks for your mail. Your details seem familiar and it is possible that they are related. Do you have any more info? If we can both be sure about the information and we both feel secure I would be willing to exchange private email with you at some point.

Bye for now.

All the best,

terentio

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 October 10 12:09 BST (UK) »
Members usually need 3 posts to use PM (personal message) system- no one else can see the PMs so it's perfectly safe to send email addresses, etc. that way.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline nchistory

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 October 10 14:14 BST (UK) »
I really have nothing further to add about Catherine Lambe's family or marriage because of the inaccessibility of Co. Monaghan records. But if you look at the 1901 and 1911 censuses of Ireland (free online at the Irish National Archives) you will surely find some relatives of Joseph Lambe in that area. I found Lamb(e)s, McMahons and Carolans all living in Kilcrossduff, which you mentioned, at those dates.
If you do have an Edinburgh connection somewhere, www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk has a huge amount of information and is much cheaper than the Irish Family History Foundation! I am new to this and don't feel inclined to post personal messages unless I am sure of the connection.
Good luck with your searching.

Offline terentio

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 October 10 09:50 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me. The details appear to be correct. I have sent a message to my father for confirmation. He is away from home at the moment but I will respond when I hear from him. My dad is very keen to find family contacts so I think this is well worth pursuing. I understand that you might feel apprehensive about personal messaging so we can continue on this site until we both feel secure. Just take things slowly and hopefully we can help one another to find out more about our families.

Until then.
Best wishes,

terentio

Offline carolanresearcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 08 October 10 00:13 BST (UK) »
Joseph Lambe's mother was Julia Carolan, oldest daughter of John J. Carolan and Mary Farrelly, of Lisagoan.  Julia was the sister of my grandmother, Anna Carolan.  Joseph was the youngest of 10 children.  Children were:
Elizabeth (Lizzie), emmigrated to US, married John Griffin;
Mary, emmigrated to US, returned to Cavan and married
     John Clark;
Anne, married Peter Halpin;
Owen, last located in Cavan in 1930s;
John Peter, emmigrated to US;
Michael, emmigrate to US, married Lillian (?);
Ellen, emmigrated to US, married Peter Mallon;
Margaret (Maggie), emmigrated to US, married Hugh Carolan;;Rosetta, emmigrated to US.
Joseph, last located in Cavan 7-8-1939.

Julia Carolan was the oldest of 6 children born to John and Mary Farrelly.  John was married twice, secondly to Anne Byrne, with 5 children of this marriage.  Children are:
Julia, married John Lambe;
Patrick, married Bridget Callaghan, stayed in Cavan;
Anne, emmigrated to US, married John Tuite (Cuite) of
      Cavan;
Michael;
John Joseph, emmigrated to US, married Mary Walsh, widow
      of Owen Edward below);
Thomas;
Eugene.
Ellen, emmigrated to US, married Robert Garland;
Owen Edward, emmigrated to US, married Mary Walsh;
James;
Mary, married William Kindelan/Kinlen, stayed in Cavan.

Look forward to exchanging information.  Assuming from your post that Joseph was your grandfather, we would be second cousins once removed.
Carolan (Cavan, Ireland), Tuite (Cavan, Ireland), Sully (Somerset, England), Cowling (Pately Bridge, Yorkshire, England), Dowd (Clare, Ireland), Needham (Tipperary, Ireland)

Offline terentio

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 08 October 10 02:11 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks for your helpful reply. I will send the details on to my father but it sounds familiar. Yes, Joseph Lambe was my grandfather. He died in Manchester in, if I can remember - only a child - I think 1972.

If the details are correct then we are related and that is great news. Will get back to you once I hear from my father, Gerard.

Best wishes,

terentio

Offline carolanresearcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 08 October 10 13:52 BST (UK) »
I found your grandfather's death in the BMD as jan-Mar 1972.  I am looking forward to cooresponding with you and your father to fill in the blanks.  I am in contact with a grandaughter of Ellen Carolan (also a 2nd cousin of your father).  Her branch had ongoing contact with various descendents of the Carolans.  She is in contact with daughters of both Michael Lambe and Margaret Lambe.
My branch lost contact with the other Carolans after the death of my grandmother in 1931 but in the last several months I have been able to piece togather a lot of family information.  Unfortunately, to date we have not been able to make contact with any of our lines of Carolans who remain in Cavan.  Ellen Lambe and her daughter (also Ellen) did visit in the 1930s and there are a few pictures with her sister, Mary Carolan Kindelan.  Also, my aunts visited in the 1970s and I remember them saying they had met cousins but, alas, I did not make notes.
Carolan (Cavan, Ireland), Tuite (Cavan, Ireland), Sully (Somerset, England), Cowling (Pately Bridge, Yorkshire, England), Dowd (Clare, Ireland), Needham (Tipperary, Ireland)