Author Topic: Anderson, Adam  (Read 1747 times)

Offline Stev1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Anderson, Adam
« on: Saturday 10 June 06 22:34 BST (UK) »
I am trying to trace a Great Uncle - Adam Anderson. He was born c 1869 in Broughshane Co Antrim. He moved to Scotland as a young man and it is thought that he then went abroad and later returned to England. He married somewhere along the line and was alive and living with his wife somewhere in England between the World Wars. Can anyone help?

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Anderson, Adam
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 June 06 09:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Stev1

The 1901 census shows no Adam ANDERSON born Ireland living in England.

Have you tried to find him in Scotland on censuses?

Do you have any idea who he married, or whether he had children?

Any extra details might help.

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Stev1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 June 06 10:58 BST (UK) »
Hi

Many thanks for your reply.

In 1912 he was in Greenock, Scotland but after that he is supposed to have (possibly) gone abroad but eventually ended up in England.

In 1912 he was 33 so I suppose by then he was already married. How can I check marriage records in Scotland?

Thanks again

Stev1

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 June 06 14:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve

You will be wanting to have a good look at the resources available on Scotlandspeople (pay per view) site:

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

Luckily Scottish certificates are pretty informative, so that is a good place to start.  You can also look fo rhim on census returns on this site.

If you know where he is thought to have emigrated to, albeit temporarily, you could try asking on the relevant Emigrants board on Rootschat (if you don't you could try one and then another until you hit lucky!!)

If you know what line of business he was occupied in, you could also try Directories

www.historicaldirectories.org

I would recommend having a read of the Scottish boards, to see what other resources are available: I know that Freecen http://freecen.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl covers some areas, but Greenock appears to be just 1841 at the moment.

Let us know if we can help further

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Stev1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 June 06 15:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Arranroots

Many thanks for your reply. I will try Scotlandspeople and see if I make progress. Unfortunately I know very little about Adam even though he was my g uncle. The siblings all seem to drift apart and nobody bothered to keep in touch.

Stev1