Author Topic: Cattaneo family from Italy  (Read 6637 times)

Offline ligurian

• RootsChat Extra
  • Mutare fidem nescio proper
    • View Profile
Cattaneo family from Italy
« on: Sunday 11 June 06 17:27 BST (UK) »
Hello all,

In tracing a couple of other immigrant Italian families, I was amazed to keep finding another Italian immigrant family inter-connected through business or cropping up as neighbours and therefore I'm trying to do a bit of research into their background.

The family is the Cattaneo family, who seemed to have originated in the Lombardy area of Italy and originally set up (I gather) in Croydon.  However there's plenty of evidence of a network of Cattaneo watchmakers and jewellers across England.   Henry, Anthony and Joseph operated in York, Ann and Seraphim in Durham, Peter and Pasqual in Croydon and Joseph in Folkestone.  In addition there were a couple of companies such as Cattaneo & Co of Briggate Leeds, Cattaneo & Fletcher on Edgbaston Street Birmingham and a third family company (this time of cutlery merchants) named Vipont and Cattaneo based in Leeds and who knows how many others...

Does anyone have any information or ideas on tracing further background on this family please.  (I'm not particularly looking for lookups at this stage as I am in the process of doing some myself but really it's ideas, information, sources of biographies if there are any...

Thanks,

Ian
CHESHIRE - Oultram, Walker, Wrench, Humphreys, Marrow, Bratt?
LANCASHIRE - Bratt, Prickett
FLINT (N WALES) - Fletcher?
STAFFORDSHIRE - Bratt? Fletcher?
ITALY - Rosso, Spinelli, Aicardi, Garibaldi, Gazzano, Raineri, Caprile

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cattaneo family from Italy
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 February 07 20:46 GMT (UK) »
http://www.adlerplanetarium.org/research/collections/websters/c.shtml
Nice list of them here Cattaneo/ Cattanio...instrument makers...from Barometers & thermometers

The same site shows some to be in business with a Ballarini.

looking at the IGI the concentration of the name does seem to be in London
and Yorkshire... 
The name Cattaneo is concentrated in Italy, but can also be found in Switzerland...

Here's one for sale!
http://www.antique-watch.com/idxa/sign2.html
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 February 07 21:00 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps you can find something of interest in here? A quick look
shows that there were some earlier names from Italy & Switzerland
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/search/quick_search.aspx
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline colinjohn

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 February 07 22:03 GMT (UK) »
Do you have access to a copy of Barometer Makers and Retailers 1660-1900 by Edwin Banfield? Lots of Cattaneos (14) + 10 Cattanio listed. They seem to range from Bristol to Folkstone, Reigate to York, and many points in between.

For the present day distribution of the name in Italy try http://gens.labo.net/en/cognomi/

Colin
I am sorry but my emails are no longer working

Offline Stephen Cattaneo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 February 16 22:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi all
I have tree of my cattaneo family from Croydon back to Italy Lombardy

Offline Denise MacLachlan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 06 February 20 15:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello Stephen, my Gx2 grandfather was Anthony Cattaneo born in Cavallasca. Do you have any information, please, about the family before they came to England?

Offline Stephen Cattaneo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 06 February 20 20:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Denise
Anthony is my x3 grandfather  , I have a tree with all the descendants once he settled in the UK

Offline Denise MacLachlan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 07 February 20 08:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello Stephen, so pleased to hear from you. It’s a pity though that we can’t trace the family in Italy. I wanted to contact the film director, Peter Cattaneo, as I thought in his profession he’d have access to researchers, but couldn’t find a way to contact him. What is your line back to Anthony? Mine is their daughter, Mary Agnes who married William Bosomworth and then it’s my grandfather. Although I spent a lot of time with him, he never mentioned his family and I didn’t think to ask, so everything I’ve researched has been a surprise. I managed more information on Mary Rhymer, but only as far as 1755. I’m very disappointed as I’ve gone a long way back on most of my other lines. I was on the Stockton site yesterday and discovered something distressing. I don’t know which Cattaneo it was, but he lost all his family to TB so hanged himself outside his shop. I have a lovely story about Anthony which suggests he was the first one in England, but there seem to be so many of them, I wonder if others followed or are they all the children - I know they had a lot. If you’d like the story, contact me through FB. I’m Denise MacLachlan in SA, no profile picture, not the one in England who’s my sister-in-law. Best wishes.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 09 February 20 07:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello Stephen, my Gx2 grandfather was Anthony Cattaneo born in Cavallasca. Do you have any information, please, about the family before they came to England?

can I ask was Anthony his Anglecised name ?  was he born Antonio in Cavallasca ?
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford