Author Topic: Have anyone tried the Mallow Heritage Centre?  (Read 4813 times)

Offline magsbutler

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Have anyone tried the Mallow Heritage Centre?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 16 June 06 22:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Tees
I agree with what you say re. the parish priest - they're not always good at replying quickly.
Re local help - I got in contact with someone who mentioned they were living in the old school teacher's house where I attended school in Ireland for a year, and it turned out she was writing a history of the local area and loved genealogy, just a hobby and to help people. So I couldn't believe my luck, she was so helpful.
It's just luck when it happens like that I suppose.
The only drawback to places like Mallow Heritage is that they apparently have made mistakes over the years with transcribing the original records; it could be that where they claim not to find such and such a record for instance, it just so happened that the original record wasn't transcribed correctly for whatever reason.

Another source might be contacting the county library.Waterford county council library for example have copies of marriage registers, a very helpful lady there looked up some stuff for me and emailed me the same day.

By the way, who are you looking for exactly?!

Cheers
Mags
Bailey - co.Limerick, Kilbeheny;co. Tipperary, Ballyporeen parish
King - co.Limerick, Kilbeheny parish
Moher - co.Tipperary, Ballyporeen parish
Farrell - co.Tipperary, Coolagarranroe, Skeheenaranky
Fitzgerald - ditto

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 17 June 06 01:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Mags,

I do not have much luck like you have with your findings and all at the local level. :) However, I am quite happy for you!!  ;D

Ah...pleased you are interested in whom I am looking for.

I think my family members liked to give us a bit of hit and miss game along the way.  ;)

Anyway, I am looking for my g grandmother named Margaret Lehane--I have several documents on her--the most important documents are her husband's naturalisation papers which gives her birth date as 15 September 1872 and 1900 US census on her gives her birth date as Sept 1877. I have applied to the GRO and kept getting no trace certificate on her!!

It took a visit to the National Archives in Dublin where a helpful lady found a John Lehane with the stated parentage that my g grandmother always listed on her certs. But no sign of her in the birth indexes.

I only found a Margaret Lehane in the birth indexes last month and it gives the date of her birth as 15 Sept 1864 and the parents were John Lehane and Mary Halliassey (sp?) as opposed to her stated parentage which was John Lehane and Johanna Quile (or Hannah Woods depending on the language used: Irish or English).

Her (half-)brother was born on 22 Dec 1871 in the same town/villiage/townland of Slievereagh, Co. Cork--just like the record on a possible Margaret Lehane above. It is very likely it was HER especially when it showed her birth date to be 15th September.

I know that her father died when she was about 6 years old. The problem is that the GRO could not trace her father's death--three times and still got the same result!

I know that Johanna Quile remarried to Jeremiah O'Connell sometimes after 1871 and had a boy born to them in 1879 according to the indexes.

I looked up and found the 1911 Census on O'Connell and the information fit with what we know of their deaths in same area as listed on this census. The bonus information is that they had a daughter named Nora. They were in Carringmaggy, Cahirbrane, Co. Cork.

I could not found her birth record BUT it looks very likely that she was John Lehane's daughter and Margaret's sister--she was recorded as Honora Lehane in Slievereagh--to the parents of John Lehane and Mary Halliassey.

That is why I need someone or a helping hand with verifying whether the parents actually died--if that was true, then I am spot on about my g grandmother's birth record despite the family lore saying that she only knew where and when she was born on/in.

Now you mentioned a high probability of mistranscription at the MHC. I am feeling a bit foolish for spending some money without checking with the Rootschatters first.  ::)

I just wanted to have a birth record on my g grandmother. I know it may be very difficult to trace her parents' marriage and deaths. I think I would never find them. She was a very beloved figure in my family and even after her death, everyone still talks about her and how funny she was, etc...

Thank you for your interest in my "problem."

Kind regards,

Tees

Offline magsbutler

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 17 June 06 13:34 BST (UK) »
Hi
Sorry, didn't mean to imply that there is a high rate of mistranscriptions at MHC - I  don't know much about them, apart from what I told you before; it's just that you have to be careful,and don't place all your hopes on them, mistakes have happened elsewhere.
Now -  you mention Margaret Lehane's (half) brother - is this the same as the one on the IGI, John Lehane,born 22 Dec 1871 to John Lehane and Johanna Quile, co. Cork?
You also say 'her stated parentage' being John Lehane and Johanna Quile.
So that seems to tie in; is the info you're seeking from MHC her baptism record and her parents marriage?
Maybe you should try searching under different surnames, if one of Margaret's parents married at least twice?
I am getting a bit confused now, so will speak to you again later!

Cheers
Mags
Bailey - co.Limerick, Kilbeheny;co. Tipperary, Ballyporeen parish
King - co.Limerick, Kilbeheny parish
Moher - co.Tipperary, Ballyporeen parish
Farrell - co.Tipperary, Coolagarranroe, Skeheenaranky
Fitzgerald - ditto

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 17 June 06 13:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Mags,

Yes, you got the right entry on her "half-brother" (I am not sure if he was or truly a real brother) John Lehane. It is on IGI but the National Archives have similar indexes on their computers.

My problem is that there are no Lehane babies being born after 1871 to the parents (John Lehane & Johanna Quile).

Since there is no way for me to find their marriage records on the IGI...that is why I feel necessary to find out if her father had married twice (to Mary Halliassey and Johanna Quile) or not. The death entries on John Lehane and Mary Lehane would be great because it will help me to confirm whether the birth entry on Margaret Lehane is correct one or not.

The GRO could not locate John Lehane's death entry at all. I did note that the surname may be different from what I wrote on the application. It did not help much.

Hope this explanation clears up your confusion on this subject. To sum it up, is this birth entry my g grandmother's (The birth entry dated 15 Sept 1864)??

No worries about your comments on the MHC. I just hope I do not throw my money away for "nothing."

Kind regards,

Tees

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 17 June 06 21:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Mags,

Now this topic is unlocked.

It is over 2 weeks now--no sign of the MHC's response to my request.

Apparently, it is going to be a LONG wait.

Kind regards,

Tees