Author Topic: Lochmaben churchyard lookup  (Read 7910 times)

Offline julieann1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Lochmaben churchyard lookup
« on: Monday 12 June 06 18:47 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help my by looking up the following burial, which I think is in Lochmaben churchyard:

James Tweedie born c 1772. May have died 1862 Lochmaben

He was married to Dorcas (or Dorothy) Patillo/Pittilo who was born c1775 Dornock.

Children Elizabeth Tweedie b 1817 Annan
Jenet Lennox Tweedie b 1806
Mary Tweedie b 1808

thanks
BELL;TWEEDIE;PITTILLO/PATTILLO;WATSON;JOHNSTONE;PALMER;MOFFAT:DOBIE;BEATTIE:-Dumfrieshire<br />HYSLOP;MANSON;CURRIE;JAMIESON;BEATTIE:-Ayr<br />HOOKER;DYSON;SEABROOKE;DYER;DREWELL;STOCKWELL;CRIPPS;-London<br />DEVOS:London, Belguim
BENDALL-Bristol<br />WOODEN/WOODIN;JARRETT-Surrey<br />MURCH;HARRIS;POPE:-Devon QUARM-Devon,London,Anywhere<br />RUMBLE;HIBBERD;-Wilts
MARTIN - Dorset,Somerset;
PITTUCK/PITTOCK:-Suffolk.
WILSON;BARNEY;WINDES/WINDERS;ELLIS - Yorkshire;MARSTON;HALLAM - Notts;

Offline kojak

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lochmaben churchyard lookup
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 November 06 17:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Julieann,

Just noticed your post and I think you may wish to message MaineyUSA as she is descended from the same Tweedies of Lochmaben.

Search for posts made by MaineyUSA to see if there is a definate link. Or send  private email to see what info you both have - you just be related !

I have chatted with her as there may well be a link between us.  We can be found in the Chat room from time to time.

Best wishes,

Kojak :-)
Green, Gibson, Ross, Telfer, Pattie, Jardine, Hay, Kennedy, Dickson, in Dumfriesshire esp Applegarth, Lochmaben and Kirkcudbright

Thom, Raeburn, Grant and Allan (Mainly Banffshire - 16th-19th century but also old Aberdeenshire) as well as having an interest in Cruickshank (in Banffshire circa mid 19th century)
Cormack & McBain in Ross and Cromerty and Banffshire/Aberdeenshire pre 20th century

McClelland, MacNeill (Argyll, Scotland and Northern Ireland), MacCully, Carson, Northern Ireland

Offline julieann1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 November 06 19:45 GMT (UK) »
How do I search for posts by a particular person? I can't spot any by maineyusa/
BELL;TWEEDIE;PITTILLO/PATTILLO;WATSON;JOHNSTONE;PALMER;MOFFAT:DOBIE;BEATTIE:-Dumfrieshire<br />HYSLOP;MANSON;CURRIE;JAMIESON;BEATTIE:-Ayr<br />HOOKER;DYSON;SEABROOKE;DYER;DREWELL;STOCKWELL;CRIPPS;-London<br />DEVOS:London, Belguim
BENDALL-Bristol<br />WOODEN/WOODIN;JARRETT-Surrey<br />MURCH;HARRIS;POPE:-Devon QUARM-Devon,London,Anywhere<br />RUMBLE;HIBBERD;-Wilts

Offline kojak

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 November 06 23:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

click search rootschat - then click advanced search - then delete astrix and input maineyusa in box to search her posts.  Failing that come enter the chat and see if she is there. 

Kojak
Green, Gibson, Ross, Telfer, Pattie, Jardine, Hay, Kennedy, Dickson, in Dumfriesshire esp Applegarth, Lochmaben and Kirkcudbright

Thom, Raeburn, Grant and Allan (Mainly Banffshire - 16th-19th century but also old Aberdeenshire) as well as having an interest in Cruickshank (in Banffshire circa mid 19th century)
Cormack & McBain in Ross and Cromerty and Banffshire/Aberdeenshire pre 20th century

McClelland, MacNeill (Argyll, Scotland and Northern Ireland), MacCully, Carson, Northern Ireland

Offline kojak

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 December 06 13:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi julieann,

I'll add this to my list of look ups in the new cemetery.  Keep an eye on your email, as I'll post the pics if I find the grave...

Regards,

Kojak

Offline julieann1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 December 06 07:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks a lot  :)

Offline kojak

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 23 December 06 00:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Julieann,

I have found some info which you may or may not have on your James Tweedie and Dorothy (Dorcas) nee Petelday Tweedie.

In the Dumfries and Galloway Family History Society publication "County of Dumfries Census Records of 1841 by surname - Lochmaben Landward" your James is listed as being 64 years old and working as an agricultural labourer living in a property at Upper Dormont (photos to follow).  His wife, Dorcas (real name Dorothy) was also present aged 63.  Also within the same household was their daughter Mary, aged 25, who had by then a 1 year old son called James.

Since I had a few spare credits left with scotlandspeople webiste (with time running out before they lapsed), I searched for your James' death certificate and struck gold.

James died on January 28th 1862 at 11pm of old age (with no immediate medical attendant present) at his home at the Smallholm Tollbar (a property that no longer exists today. Again, I can take pics for you of the site).  He was the tollkeeper at the time of his death in 1862 with his wife, Dorothy present.

The attendant was a William Wilson - a neighbour (probably the farmer) who lived at Smallholmburn (which still runs as a farm today).

Dorothy, his wife died in 1865. 

[I have downloaded the death certificate for James and can email you it if you provide my with your email address (send it via a private message) - Due to copywrite restrictions, I cannot post the certificate here].

The cemetery searches will have to wait until next year.

I hope the above information reaches you in good health, and that you enjoy a wonderful Christmas.

Best wishes,

Kojak

Offline julieann1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 23 December 06 08:11 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou so much for that!  :) I will send a pm with my email address. I had found the census on Ancestry, but could find his death cert. I had looked on Scotland's People without success (I seem to always be wasting credits on the wrong things).  A photo would be much appreciated.  Living down south I can't get to see these places (hope to have a hol up there in the next couple of years though).
Thanks again.
Julie

Offline kojak

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 01 January 07 17:00 GMT (UK) »
Happy New Year Julie,

Here are two photographs, of the site of the former Smallholm Toll Bar and the old farmhouse at Upper Dormont, Dalton Parish -  where James Tweedie, his wife Dorcas, his daughter Mary and her young son James lived at the time of the 1841 Census.  The first photograph shows the location of the old Smallholm Tollbar (which was demolished in the 1950s).  The house was located on the left hand side around where you see the bend in the road.

If you look up www.old-maps.co.uk and search for smallholm, you will open up an old map which shows the smallholm area in the mid 1800s.  The map centres on teh old smallholm village, but by scrolling down southwards you will pass smallholmburn farm, and by following the road, you will see where the smallholm tollbar stood.

Right click the mosue and save image.  You'll be able to open up and print off the map if needed (I'd recommend that you open up the image in paint first and choose the area you wish to print).

You may wish to know that several of my ancestors lived at both Upper Dormont (in 1861) and the Smallholm Tollbar (in 1940s).  A small world indeed.

Best wishes,

Kojak :-)

The cemetery tour is still on the agenda, but will need to wait until the better weather.