Author Topic: Help Needed to sort out a mass of BELLs  (Read 1436 times)

Offline julieann1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Help Needed to sort out a mass of BELLs
« on: Tuesday 13 June 06 14:47 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find DAVID BELL (lost amidst a sea of Bells) born c 1807 Gillfoot Tothorwold.  He was the father of James Bell born 18 Feb 1839 Gillfoot Torthorwold - mother of James -Jane Johnstone born c1811 Gillfoot.  His parents do not appear to have ever married.  Jane Johnstone subsequently married John Cook and shows up on the 1851 census liking with him and their children but not JAMES BELL.  Jane Johnstone's parents were William Johnstone and Mary Snadden.

Has any got any suggestions about how to find the right DAVID BELL as it is such a common name? ??? ???
BELL;TWEEDIE;PITTILLO/PATTILLO;WATSON;JOHNSTONE;PALMER;MOFFAT:DOBIE;BEATTIE:-Dumfrieshire<br />HYSLOP;MANSON;CURRIE;JAMIESON;BEATTIE:-Ayr<br />HOOKER;DYSON;SEABROOKE;DYER;DREWELL;STOCKWELL;CRIPPS;-London<br />DEVOS:London, Belguim
BENDALL-Bristol<br />WOODEN/WOODIN;JARRETT-Surrey<br />MURCH;HARRIS;POPE:-Devon QUARM-Devon,London,Anywhere<br />RUMBLE;HIBBERD;-Wilts
MARTIN - Dorset,Somerset;
PITTUCK/PITTOCK:-Suffolk.
WILSON;BARNEY;WINDES/WINDERS;ELLIS - Yorkshire;MARSTON;HALLAM - Notts;

Offline Via Parkend

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help Needed to sort out a mass of BELLs
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 July 06 08:57 BST (UK) »
Similar problem

Looking for family details on the Bells of Bengallhill, near Hightae.

Offline kojak

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 November 06 11:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Julieann & via Parkend,

It may be a long shot (but it did work for me more than once), but have you searched local cemeteries and the lair records?  If not, i'd suggest you ring up the Council's burial section (tel 01387 259 934) to see if they have any historic lair record for a David Bell, and if they do, get filtering!

The Council will likely charge you for a detailed search (I think its £20), but an initial search should be free (providing it doesn't take long to complete).

It may sound obvious, but finding a grave often opens up many doors...

A grave, especially one with a headstone may even confirm whether your ancestors were married.  Thousands (4,059 to be exact) were married by priests at Gretna's Headless Cross in what is known as "Irregular marriages".  These were not, and are not to this day, centrally recorded.  Instead, the records for these legally binding marriages are held by the respective custodians.  You will not find them at scotlandspeople.gov.uk

You can always check with Gretna's Famous Old Blacksmith shop & Museum (they hold 22 volumes of irregular marriages, most of which are after the 1890s) to see if they hold any records of an irregular marriage for your families.

I wouldn't give up on there being a marriage either.  In the mid 1800s, Dumfriesshire had a sizeable number of Dissenters, Catholics, Congregationalists and some Methodists who did not conform with the requirements set by the Establishment, and so records are inevitably patchy.

Good luck with your searches.

Kojak  :)
Green, Gibson, Ross, Telfer, Pattie, Jardine, Hay, Kennedy, Dickson, in Dumfriesshire esp Applegarth, Lochmaben and Kirkcudbright

Thom, Raeburn, Grant and Allan (Mainly Banffshire - 16th-19th century but also old Aberdeenshire) as well as having an interest in Cruickshank (in Banffshire circa mid 19th century)
Cormack & McBain in Ross and Cromerty and Banffshire/Aberdeenshire pre 20th century

McClelland, MacNeill (Argyll, Scotland and Northern Ireland), MacCully, Carson, Northern Ireland

Offline sdhobbes

• RootsChat Extra
  • visit: www.claysontree.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 April 07 02:59 BST (UK) »
If you are interested in the Bells of Bengall Hill, Please contact me for the family tree!

sdhobbes
Bell, Clayson. Lockhart, Waugh