Author Topic: 1861 census look-up - Hardy/Key  (Read 11727 times)

Offline Sasha

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 1861 census look-up - Hardy/Key
« Reply #27 on: Monday 19 January 09 17:48 GMT (UK) »
Those certificates arrived quickly, didn't they?  Thanks for sharing the info.  ;D

I'm just on my way out, so will have a look at this later, but just quickly, the Matilda Price.  The Richard Price who married Alicia Key had a brother, Hiram, who married Matilda Smith in 1846, so she could be the Matilda Price who is a witness.

(I suspect Matilda is one of 'The Smiths'  ::), from the census she seems to have a sister Annah who marries an Azrey Smith who is in Gosberton in 1881.  Similar name to your Azey Smith, but I don't know if there is any connection).

Jo.

Offline babygirl101

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 19 January 09 17:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jo

Yes, a very quick service!!

Why do the "Smiths" have to feature every time I try to look for someone completely different????????

I'll have alook at Matilda and Hiram and let you know what I find

BG   ???
Murden - Warwickshire & Nottinghamshire
Bower - Nottinghamshire (mainly Newark)
Crowder - Mansfield Nottinghamshire & Devon
Price - Newark,  Nottinghamshire
Ingleton - Skillington, Lincolnshire
Smith - All parts of Leicestershire, Nottinghamshire & Lincolnshire especially Wisdom Smith, Robert & Evening Smith

Offline babygirl101

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 19 January 09 18:05 GMT (UK) »

(I suspect Matilda is one of 'The Smiths'  ::), from the census she seems to have a sister Annah who marries an Azrey Smith who is in Gosberton in 1881.  Similar name to your Azey Smith, but I don't know if there is any connection).

Jo.

No connection there, Azey Smith aka Azey Birch was married to Caroline Smith and was busy wandering around Lincs as far as I can tell, so we'll leave him there I think hehe.

BG  ;D
Smith - All parts of Leicestershire, Nottinghamshire & Lincolnshire especially Wisdom Smith, Robert & Evening Smith

Offline Sasha

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 19 January 09 21:43 GMT (UK) »
1st January 1859

John Bowers, widower, occupation labourer, Newark father name John Bower, Stonemason married Sarah Bearder, of full age, spinster, father Samuel Bearder, FWK. Witnesses:- Stephen Nash and Matilda Price. I thought at first that Matilda was d/o Richard & Alicia Key, but it can't be, she'd have been far too young!

So it's the same John as expected given that we knew Ann Holland had died, but I'm still none the wiser about the Sarah Bearder???

Samuel doesn't seem any easier to find than his daughter.  ???

In the 1871 when Sarah is married to George Cobb she gives her birthplace as Arnold.

There's a couple of baptisms mentioning a Samuel Beard who is a FWK at Arnold:
25 Sep 1825 Ann d/o Samuel and Mary Beard FWK
3 Jan 1830 Margaret d/o Samuel and Mary Beard FWK

Sarah was probably born about 1827/28 according to her age on the census.

Jo.

Offline Sasha

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 19 January 09 21:59 GMT (UK) »

OK, I may have given you a bit of duff information there, in my haste.  Looking again at the 1881 the household at Gosberton is headed by a Reuben Smith, whose wife Mary Ann is sister to the Matilda Smith married to Hiram Price.  Azrey Smith is brother to Reuben Smith.

The marriages (from Lincolnshire Marriage Indexes 1837+):
Gosberton 25th Dec 1858 Reuben Smith s/o Tenant Smith to Mary Ann Smith d/o Richard Smith
Lutton (Sutton St. Nicholas) 12th Oct 1846 Iram Price s/o Richard Price to Matilda Smith d/o Richard Smith

Baptism (from RomanyGenes website):
Skillington baptism 1828 Matilda d/o Richard and Ann Smith, chair menders

I know I'm going off on a tangent again, but I have a Dennis Smith who marries an Eleanor Charlotte.  They had a son whose name seems interchangeable between Dennis and Tennant, and I suspect that Dennis snr is the same.  I don't know of a son named Reuben to this couple, but they were having children at the time he was born.  Also in this family is the name Fenwick (sometimes Phoenix) and Nehemiah and there are the following burials at Gosberton:

13 Oct 1858 Tenant Smith aged 65
3 Feb 1861 Fenwick Smith infant
19 Mar 1861 Nemehiah Smith aged 25

I have Dennis Smith snr on the 1861 census, and have no idea what happened to him after that.  Dennis/Tennant Smith jnr marries into the Elijah Boswell family, which takes us right back to those Smiths.  ::) ???

None of which is helping to find Sarah Beard.

Offline Sasha

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 19 January 09 23:34 GMT (UK) »
If the Samuel Beard in Arnold is Sarah's father then this is probably his marriage:

Samuel Beard to Mary Horton, Arnold, 21st March 1825

The above is an extracted entry on the IGI.  There are also quite a few member submitted ones for the daughter Margaret, one saying she died in 1912.

Also, Reuben and Mary Smith had a daughter, Matilda, baptised in Newark in March 1861, and their address was Cross Guns Yard, so they're definately mixed up with this lot (there's also a death in the March qtr of the same year for little Matilda).

Jo.

Offline babygirl101

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 23 January 09 16:07 GMT (UK) »
Jo

Apologies for not replying sooner, but I too have been off at a tangent, busy looking for a Joseph Markham Smith which has also been proving difficult, but some of it's now resolved.

I'm still confused with Beard/Bearder connection. I think you're probably right about Sarah being the d/o Samuel, the dates etc would fit, so I'll do some more digging this w/end into this one. As for Cross Guns Yard arghhhhhh!!!!

Thanks

BG  :)

Offline Sasha

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 06 April 09 15:44 BST (UK) »
I wasn't sure if you had this info or not, but I got the marriage cert today for Richard Price and Alicia Key, and one of the witnesses was John Bower.

Full details are:

Newark, 11th May 1838, Richard Price of full age, bachelor, potter, of Newark, father Richard Price labourer to Alicia Key, minor, spinster, of Newark, father William Key waterman, Richard Price X his mark, Alicia Key X her mark, witnesses (who both signed their names) John Bower and Sarah Mun?o (? not sure on this surname  ???)

Jo.

Offline babygirl101

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 06 April 09 17:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this info Jo. Interesting comment about Alicia being a minor!!, it confirms what I had thought about the age gap. The date ties in nicely with the one I found on the Notts records - phew!!

As for John Bower, I wonder who the Sarah was, given that we'd hoped it might be Sarah Beard/Bearder, maybe this Sarah wasn't a rellie, just a witness. I think I'm going to have to send off for the marriage cert for John to Sarah Bearder to see what tell us, if anything. Will let you know when I get that one.

BG  :)