Author Topic: Penmaen Address  (Read 1434 times)

Offline ozlady

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Ex-South Wales. Down Under in Brisbane, Australia
    • View Profile
Penmaen Address
« on: Wednesday 14 June 06 01:34 BST (UK) »
I am looking for an address to RG1/5273 George Watkins Police constable born Wellington, Hereford. Parish of Mynyddislwyn, village or hamlet of Penmaen. Where exactly was it?
Watkins, Price Herefordshire
Brannan, Price, GLAM
Edwards, Gardner MON
Clark(e) SOM
 Census information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Penmaen Address
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 June 06 07:30 BST (UK) »
Hello again Ozlady  :)

I can help you with this one!

Penmaen (or Penmain) is on the road out of Oakdale to the south (search www.multimap.com for Oakdale and scan south west).

If you are travelling from Oakdale to Blackwood across the new bridge over the Sirhowy, you will pass through Penmaen - but you might mistake it for part of Oakdale!  It is mainly a street with turn of last century terraces on one side of the hill and later construction the other.

Hope this helps

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

p.s. if you PM me an address I will try to photograph it for you on my next visit - unless Steve gets there first!!  Or are you asking what the address is?  If so, you have missed a digit out of the census reference.  Should read RG11/5273/30/19
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline rhys

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Penmaen Address
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 June 06 08:40 BST (UK) »
Hello
As well as being the village of Penmain .the name was used to describe a sub district covering an area of several square miles in the north of Mynyddislwyn Parish.
On the 1881 census the Watkins family were probably in the Crumlin area.  If you go back about 10 houses you will see that the enumeration states Newbridge road . The family were probably in Newbridge road though the enumerator has only listed the first house.  A few pages further on is the enumeration of Crumlin Hall which was a large house in the area.

Rhys
Bouncing Emails

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk