Author Topic: My Surname Interests for Carlisle/Cumberland  (Read 2796 times)

Offline annaandchester

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
My Surname Interests for Carlisle/Cumberland
« on: Wednesday 14 June 06 11:01 BST (UK) »
Johnstone

My Johnstone is a Martha Jane Johnstone - she married my great great uncle Ernest George Simpson. She died in 1961 in Carlisle and I think that she was Carlisle born and bred. They had one daughter Catherine (known as Cathy).

Carrick

My Carrick’s are as follows:

Mary (nee ?) b1805 in Arkleby had 6 children.
William 1850
Agnes 1842
Jane 1838
Mary 1840
Margaret 1844
Sarah 1846

William married Catherine Simpson and they had 3 children

William Arthur 1880 died 1901
Catherine 1881 died 1881
Katie 1884

They were living in Whitehaven at the time.

Agnes married someone called ? Rowan.

Harris

My Harris family are all descendants from a James Harris originally from Kent. They were in Carlisle from 1880 onwards. They all lived in Botchergate area.

My Simpson’s moved from Morland to Carlisle pre 1851 and they too lived in the Botchergate area. They all worked on the railway.

McQueen

My McQueen’s are originally from Scotland

William McQueen b1819 d1893
Ann nee? b1837

They had 3 children

Andrew 1861
James 1858
Robert 1876

They were all born and raised in Dalston

Andrew McQueen married Mary Simpson 4th June 1885 and they went on to have 6 children

Annie 1886
Katie Ann 1887
Florence 1889
Isabel 1891
Joseph or George 1892
Ellen 1895

Isabel married 31 Dec 1921 to a John William Graham and they had at least one child Margaret Graham. She died of TB

Haugh

I only have a couple of Haugh’s on my tree and they are Catherine Haugh b1829 who married Abraham Simpson. Her mother was a Catherine and she had at least one brother - called John b1821

Irving
2 different families

Family 1

Edward and Sarah Irving nee Shee had a daughter called Sarah Ann Irving b1885

Sarah Ann Irving married Herbert Harris. They had 2 children, James Edward Harris b1912 and Vera Penelope Harris b1909.

Family 2

William Irving had a daughter called Jane Irving b c1860 who married Thomas Simpson 24/12/1883. They had 2 children then when he died she married a Charles Hemming Collett and they had at least one child called Charles Hemming Simpson.

Harrison

My Harrison is a Martha Harrison b1855. She married an Abraham Simpson in 1875 and had 8 children.

She died of TB on the 2nd of  Mar 1894.

Knight

My Knight is the same Abraham Simpson’s second wife, Jane. She was born in 1862 and died 2nd Sept 1906 in childbirth.

I know nothing of these women's family's before marriage.

Thompson

Edmund Thompson born 1877 married Edith Annie Simpson in 1901 and they had 2 daughters Martha and Elizabeth.

Clifford

James (Jim) Clifford b 1890 possibly in Yorkshire married Maggie Simpson. He was killed in a car accident (he was knocked off his bike and crushed to death by a loose horse box) 20th May 1960.

They had 2 sons James b1921 and Ronnie b1920. James died as a child but Ronnie had 3 children - Paul, Jean and Maureen.

Many thanks

Anna x
McLeods - Hartlepool, Liverpool, Inverness(?)<br />Simpsons - Carlisle, Westmorland<br />Harris - Carlisle, Kent<br />Reads - Birmingham and Staffordshire<br />Allens - Marylebone London<br />Zych - Poland
Holmes - Bawdsey, Suffolk
Perks - Hampshire
McQueen - Carlisle
Carrick - Carlisle
Haugh - Carlisle
Irving - Irving
Collett - Bredon, Worcester
Harrison - Carlisle
Knight - Carlisle
Thompson - Carlisle
Johnstone - Carlisle
Rogerson - Dumfries and Carlisle
Wood - Ontario

Offline Geo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: My Surname Interests for Carlisle/Cumberland
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 August 06 18:19 BST (UK) »
Hi, Anna. My grandmother, Mary Jane Harris, born c. 1876, married George Hearsey 29 Aug. 1896. They lived in the Botchergate area (44 Union Street in 1901). Any connection?

Geo.

Offline annaandchester

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: My Surname Interests for Carlisle/Cumberland
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 August 06 21:02 BST (UK) »
I dont think so - sorry.

There seems to have been a few Harris families in the area at the time.

Anna x
McLeods - Hartlepool, Liverpool, Inverness(?)<br />Simpsons - Carlisle, Westmorland<br />Harris - Carlisle, Kent<br />Reads - Birmingham and Staffordshire<br />Allens - Marylebone London<br />Zych - Poland
Holmes - Bawdsey, Suffolk
Perks - Hampshire
McQueen - Carlisle
Carrick - Carlisle
Haugh - Carlisle
Irving - Irving
Collett - Bredon, Worcester
Harrison - Carlisle
Knight - Carlisle
Thompson - Carlisle
Johnstone - Carlisle
Rogerson - Dumfries and Carlisle