Author Topic: Death By Drowning.  (Read 867 times)

Offline smithy.

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Death By Drowning.
« on: Wednesday 14 June 06 13:30 BST (UK) »
My Great Great Grandfather Edward Skipworth b 20/01/1849
Drowned in the river Lud, Louth on the 28/12/1889.
Could anybody please tell me if it would be possible for me to look through old newspapers etc, to find the story or obituary
of the drowning? if so what newspapers? & Where would i find them? another problem i live in Australia, but i'm visiting the uk soon so i could do some research on this subject.
Any help in regards to this subject would be greatly recieved.
Thanks for your help.
Smithy. ???
Baird, Goodall, Hawkridge, Jenkinson, Pickles, Skipworth, Smith, Sutcliffe, Tapster.

Offline Sasha

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Death By Drowning.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 June 06 16:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Smithy,

If you are visiting Lincolnshire you could view the newspapers at Louth library.  You'd need to check that they have the dates you're interested in as it is only a small library, but I did some research there on my Grandad who died in 1936 and found a report of his inquest in the newspaper.

They may even be able to check for you as you have the date of his death and send you a photocopy for a small charge.

http://www.lincolnshire.gov.uk/libraries/venueDetails.asp?venuecode=1406

The central library in Lincoln also holds quite a lot of archive local newspapers - you could check with them.

http://www.lincolnshire.gov.uk/libraries/libraryDetails.asp?library=LA1

Jo.

Offline sue 1950

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Death By Drowning.
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 June 06 23:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Smithy
If you google Louth news then that is the local paper for Louth they do have an archive place in Louth to view the papers but if you emailed them telling them that you live in Australia see if they can email you the article.
Sue......
Researching Dixon Dawson Wood Wilkinson Wackett from Lincolnshire (Caistor area) Ringrose Higgs Riddington Lord Burley from Leicester (Countesthorpe) Holmes Abbott Ringrose Motson from Beverley and Hull Leics. Fawcett Fenwick Hare Mareham Le Fen Revesby Horncastle Lincolnshire.