Author Topic: CAHER 1823 and Appleyard  (Read 956 times)

Offline RobinSmith

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
CAHER 1823 and Appleyard
« on: Wednesday 14 June 06 20:04 BST (UK) »
I'm reposting my request on the Ireland  - General page as well as Tipperary, in case anyone with no specific interest in Tipperary can help.
My ancestor, James Appleyard, was in Caher, Tipperary in 1823, as his son, Thomas was born there. His other children were born in Nottingham & Worcester, England. He didn't seem to stay in one place very long. His occupation on his daughter's marriage cert. in Birmingham, was given as musician and as trumpeter on another daughter's baptism in Worcester.
My hunch is that he was probably attached to the army. Were the British army in Caher in 1823, and if so, did they register births locally or with the military?
I'd be very grateful for help here.
Thanks in anticipation,
Robin Smith.
Smith, Hassell, Gould, Appleyard, Bolding, Booton Simmons WORCS. Pountney, STAFFS. 10th. Hussars 1821-1831

Offline magsbutler

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: CAHER 1823 and Appleyard
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 June 06 10:53 BST (UK) »
Hi
There was definitely an army barracks in Cahir, co.Tipperary, I believe a cavalry barracks, but could be wrong. I think it was built near to the start of the 19th century, so that would fit in with the dates you have.
I think you might have more luck trying to trace his records at Kew, if he was only in Ireland for a short time?

Sorry,not much help really.(The name Cahir caught my eye, as my dad's sister and family live there).

Cheers,
Mags
Bailey - co.Limerick, Kilbeheny;co. Tipperary, Ballyporeen parish
King - co.Limerick, Kilbeheny parish
Moher - co.Tipperary, Ballyporeen parish
Farrell - co.Tipperary, Coolagarranroe, Skeheenaranky
Fitzgerald - ditto

Offline RobinSmith

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: CAHER 1823 and Appleyard
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 June 06 19:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks Mags. I've had a look on the internet and there are some references to cavalry barracks there. I think it may be difficult to dredge up early army records, esp. for other ranks. I'm assuming he was a soldier. Strange that he was described as musician or trumpeter as I doubt if the army would use a civilian trumpeter. Perhaps he described himself by his "rank" of trumpeter and by 1848 when he styled himself as a musician at his daughter's wedding, he had retired.

Robin.
Smith, Hassell, Gould, Appleyard, Bolding, Booton Simmons WORCS. Pountney, STAFFS. 10th. Hussars 1821-1831