Author Topic: Blair Atholl & Blair Gownie  (Read 2191 times)

Offline CarolBurns

• I am no longer accepting new replies to my topics
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
Blair Atholl & Blair Gownie
« on: Thursday 15 June 06 15:20 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find out whether Blair Gownie and Blair Atholl are any where near each other

I have William davidson born 1816 according to the 1851 and 1861 census in Blair Gownie. I have tried looking for his birth and have found one on the IGI for 7 Mar 1816 in Blair Atholl.

I have a funny feeling this may just be the right one as the parents are John Davidson and Catherine Cumming. William had 3 sons - William Davidson b 1856 (hubby's Great Grandad), George Rankine Davidson b 1861 and John Davidson Davidson b 1848 all in Edinburgh. His wife was Elizabeth Rankine b 1826 edinburgh (again according to 1851 census)

I have been unable to locate any of them in the 1841 for definite though think I may have found them in Jamaica Street Edinburgh in 1861 living with the following people

Margaret, daughter, unmarried, edinburgh
John, father, married, 71, street porter, inverness
William, brother, married, 44, coachman cab, Perthshire
Alex, nephew, 7, Edinburgh
William, nephew, 4, Edinburgh
Alex davidson Landen (?), Lodger, 19 , ? Assistant, Forfarshire
Alexander Davidson, lodger, 21, Architect, Edinburgh

I think I may have missed the first part on the previous page and have not been able to find it again

What I really need to know is if Blair Gownie and Blair Atholl could be close and that the place of registration could be Blair Atholl even though he was born in Blair Gownie

Anyone able to help?

Carol

Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Blair Atholl & Blair Gownie
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 June 06 15:50 BST (UK) »
They're not that far apart Carol. About 35 miles

Perthshire - just off the A9 - it's Blair Gowrie by the way.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline CarolBurns

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 June 06 16:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks Gadget

Do you reckon it could be the same one as found in the IGI that I am looking for?

Looks like the 1861 census sheet I have with William and 2 sons (one I didn't know about) living with sister Margaret and father John could be the right one

Carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 June 06 16:20 BST (UK) »
This is a tricky one Carol. Blair Atholl and Blair Gowrie are two separate parishes. I've looked on SP and can only find the one you mention - bpt 10th March 1816, parents: John Davidson and Catherine Cumming.
They might be the same one and he remembered where he first had memories or where he last lived. There again, he might have been baptised BG and not in records (Parish Clerk?) or baptised in another church - the Presbyterian Church was in turmoil at the time.

Sorry not much help

Gadget - must go watch football now  ;)

PS if you find a death record in Scotland it will tell you his parents though  ;)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 June 06 16:47 BST (UK) »
Carol

I've found his death and if he married Elizabeth Rankin then the John and Catherine are his parents:

16 November 1869 at the Royal Infirmary, aged 63, coachman, husband of Elizabeth Rankine.

Parents: John Davidson, porter, deceased and Catherine  Davidson, ms.Cumming deceased. Broncho pneumonia - 14 weeks.

Gadget  ;D ;D ;D

Now you should thank the powers that be that the football started later than I thought!

Offline CarolBurns

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 June 06 17:25 BST (UK) »
Oh you little Angel you -  :-*  :-*  :-*

This is hubby's mum's side and they have caused me so much trouble.

Hopefully going to see hubby's Uncle (last one living of his mum's family) and he will be pleased to hear we have got that bit further back

Enjoy your footie - I'm off researching this family now

Carol

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 June 06 17:28 BST (UK) »
Give me a shout Carol, if you need anything more  ;)

Just popped out for a mo  ;)

Gadget

Offline Throth

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 31 January 23 22:23 GMT (UK) »
John Davidson and Catharine Cumming in Clunes

4th June 1815, Blair Atholl OPR
      John Davidson in Clunes and Catharine Cumming in Woodsheal (were booked for marriage).

William Davidson b 7th March 1816 at Achleanie - married Elizabeth Rankine
      Donald Davidson, b 2nd January 1818 at Achleanie
      Margaret ~1826 St Cuthberts, Edinburgh (from census)
      John 20 Jul 1830 St Cuthberts, Edinburgh
      Christian 28 Apr 1832 St Cuthberts, Edinburgh
      Susan 23 Mar 1834 St Cuthberts, Edinburgh
      Samuel 13 Apr 1836 St Cuthberts, Edinburgh

12th July 1860, St George, Edinburgh
      Catharine Davidson, wife of a retired street porter died at Water of Leith, 12th July 1860, aged 64 years and was buried in the Dean Cemetery.  Her parents were given as Donald Cumming, sheep farmer, and Catharine Cameron, both deceased. The informant was William Davidson, her son.

John Davidson died before 1871.

Donald Cumming and Catharine Cameron marriage Fortingall OPR, 6th December 1797

No baptisms of children recorded.

(Author may not be accepting new replies for this topic any longer, but it might help somebody else)

Throth

Offline Kmaleski

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 03 March 23 05:07 GMT (UK) »
Catherine Cumming's birth is recorded in Blair Atholl Jan 31, 1796 to Donald Cumming and Catherine Cumming (likely Cameron as Throth details above).

She appears in the 1851 Census with her husband John Davidson in Edinburgh St Cuthberts. She is listed as being from/born in Blair.  He Inverness-shire.  John died Apr 11, 1861 in Edinburgh.  He was the son of William Davidson and Margaret Connach
Researching McKercher, McKerchar, McKerracher, McKericher and the families of Fortingall, Weem, Kenmore, Killin and Dull parishes.

www.mckercher.org