Author Topic: Janet Clarkinson  (Read 13390 times)

Offline Cockneyrebel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Janet Clarkinson
« on: Thursday 15 June 06 20:23 BST (UK) »
Looking for parentage of Janet Clarkinson who married George Henderson at Morham, Haddington, Dec 4th 1814; she died in Sep 1844 in Uckfield, Sussex and I believe she was born c1796 but know not where except presumably in Scotland. It would be helpful if I could find George's parents as well, George himself had a job of grieve or bailiff on a farm both in Scotland and Sussex. The family must've moved to Sussex in the 1830/40s as they are shown on the 1841 census with her name given as Gennet!
Rosser, Henderson, Chapman, Clarkson, Harper, Healey, Horth, Page, Bowers, Ritchie, Sheen, Smith and Weymark.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Janet Clarkinson
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 June 06 22:44 BST (UK) »
The IGI has a number of Janet Clark(in)son's around that date (these records are fairly complete if they are on-line). The nearest to the date you suggest is:

Batch C119467

Birth 5 February 1796, Glasgow, Lanarkshire to William Clarkson and Janet McLimont

It's a bit far from East Lothian though - have a look at the others that come up with a 1796 +/- 2 or 5

nearer geographically to Haddington are:

14 August 1790, Currie, Midlothian - batch C116825

and

4 March 1792, Selkirk - batch C117785

All Janet Clarkson

The name is slightly different but not so far out, as it depended how they were recorded in the old records. There are no  Janet Clarkinsons

There are 171 George Hendersons listed between 1785 and 1795. A rought age would help here.

it might be worth you having a more detailed look:

www.familysearch.org

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Cockneyrebel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 June 06 18:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget,
I've the 'marriage certificate' page from ScotlandsPeople which definately reads Janet Clarkinson and Robert Henderson for marriage Dec 4th 1814 at Morham, East Lothian, although reading it, it seems to be the 2nd of 3 times banns! On the 1841 census of England their births are given as abt 1796, their last child was born c1832/3, the first one in 1815. Can only guess that they must've been of full age whatever that is in Scotland?
Rosser, Henderson, Chapman, Clarkson, Harper, Healey, Horth, Page, Bowers, Ritchie, Sheen, Smith and Weymark.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 June 06 18:56 BST (UK) »
If it's banns it could be where either of them lived  :(
I shall have another think/look  ;)
GAdget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 June 06 21:18 BST (UK) »
Hi again

I've had a thorough search. There don't seem to be any Janet Clarkinsons at all in the 1780 -1800 period - or any female Clarkinsons, except the Clarksons I've previously mentioned.
There are 3 Janet Clark bpt in East Lothian though.
Do you have the copy of the original marriage/banns record or just the transcript? If the original, Iwouldn't mind seeing a scan of the name here. The SP index just says Clarkinson.

Gadget

Offline Cockneyrebel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 20 June 06 22:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget,
Attached copy of register page.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 20 June 06 22:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that - I'd remove it now though - it might breach something or other  ;)

Definitely Clarkinson but 2 of 3 banns - did they marry  ???
Both 'in this parish'  ???

Think again.

Gadget

Offline Cockneyrebel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 21 June 06 18:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget,
Yes they did marry as I said and moved to Sussex for the 1841 census and both died in Sussex in the 50s and 60s. Its very curious that they lived in Maresfield, Sussex with 4 daughters aged between 8 and 15. One of the daughters Allison definately stayed in  Sussex, one named Maron (or Marion ) had a child in Sussex but don't know if she was ever married, and, she and her daughter are found back in Haddington in the 1861 census;certainly Marion died in Haddington in 1901. I can find no trace of the other 2 daughters, Helen b 1832 and Jean b 1826 either in England or in Scotland! There were 3 sons, 1 called George definately stayed in Sussex but the rest I can't find, similarly there were 3 other daughters who've also disappeared!!

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 08 December 06 14:53 GMT (UK) »
Parents Robert Henderson and Janet Clarkinson married 04 December 1814 at Morham, East Lothian.

There is a marriage certificate on SP, maybe worth investing in that would give you parents etc, and it is Clarkinson on that certificate.

ALLISON HENDERSON christened 17 April 1825 Morham, East Lothian

JEAN HENDERSON christened 26 Nov 1826 Morham, East Lothian 

MARION HENDERSON christened 19 April 1829 Morham, East Lothian

HELEN HENDERSON christened 23 July 1832 Morham, East Lothian 

NB Janet is Clarkinson in marriage but Clarkson on children’s birth certificate on LDS site. Not sure which is correct. Also no trace of any sons on LDS site, were they born in Scotland?
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.