Author Topic: 'Lost' David Gibson Fleming  (Read 16280 times)

Offline Elenor

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 'Lost' David Gibson Fleming
« Reply #18 on: Monday 31 August 09 00:36 BST (UK) »
Your David Gibson Fleming is the right age to belong to a family I'm searching on in Glagow.

A mention on page 144 of Glasgow, Past and Present (1884), digitized on Google, says:

One of the last erected windows is dedicated to the memory of their ancestors, merchant burgesses in Glasgow, since 1643, and of their parents, William Fleming of Sawmillfield, and Janet Gibson, his wife, by William Fleming, John Gibson Fleming, and David Gibson Fleming... [The three last-named gentlemen were the grandchildren of William Fleming, sen., of Sawmillfield, and his wife, Miss Tarbet.]

I'm searching on a Robert Tarbett Gibson Fleming, possibly related to the above, who was a juror in Singapore in the early 1900s and who married my husband's great aunt Mary Ellen Geary. I know that the John Gibson Fleming noted above was a famous doctor in Glasgow who left quite a large estate, part of which helped to fund businesses in Rangoon, Burma, that his son Matthew Tarbett Fleming was involved in. That family got around!

Since John Gibson Fleming was born in 1809, and his older brother William in 1808, it follows logically that your David Gibson Fleming born in 1813 could have been their brother. FWIW.
Liverpool: Mein
Alnwick: Bell, Forman/Foreman
Roxburghshire: Mein, Fairgrieve
Glasgow: Mein, Forman/Foreman, Gibson-Fleming
Ireland (Cork) & Singapore: Geary
Ireland/NY: Boyle, Donnelly, Suter

Offline Fransmoi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 31 August 09 00:45 BST (UK) »
I have since found a lot more on this family including a picture of the doctor's house at Cloberfield ,Glasgow and have contact with living descendants.
Can you p.m. me with your email address please so I can send it on to you.
A very interesting family !
Frances in Inverness,SCT.
Aird,Anderson,
Babington,
Bothwell,
Clark,
Dunford,
Errington,
Fleming,Forrest,
Gerrard,
Kinghorn,
Leslie,Loudon,Lumsden,
Mackenzie ,MacLeod,McLeod,Milne,Montgomery,
Ramsay,Ross ,Rust
Shields,Sim,Sowden, Stoddart,
Turnbull,
Wallace,Woodman

Offline Elenor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 31 August 09 00:58 BST (UK) »
Er, how do I "pm"?
:-[
Liverpool: Mein
Alnwick: Bell, Forman/Foreman
Roxburghshire: Mein, Fairgrieve
Glasgow: Mein, Forman/Foreman, Gibson-Fleming
Ireland (Cork) & Singapore: Geary
Ireland/NY: Boyle, Donnelly, Suter

Offline Dave Jones

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 31 August 09 13:48 BST (UK) »
A few snippets re David Gibson Fleming

Preston Chronicle December 31st 1841
Marriages
On the 22nd inst. at the Scotch Church, Manchester, Mr David Gibson Fleming, merchant, of that town, to Agnes, eldest daughter of the late Robert Dunlop, Esq., of Huddersfield.

Oxford Journal September 7th 1844
Deaths
At Manchester, Agnes, wife of David G. Fleming, aged 25.

Glasgow Herald September 22nd 1848
Marriages
At Manchester, on the 20th instant, David G Fleming, merchant, to Elizabeth, daughter of John Robertson, surgeon, Brighton Place.

Glasgow Herald November 1st 1850
Births
At Portland Place, Manchester, on the 29th ultimo., Mrs David Gibson Fleming; a son.

Glasgow Herald October 18th 1852
At 77, Dover Terrace, Manchester, on the 15th instant, Mrs David G. Fleming; a daughter

Glasgow Herald June 10th 1857
At Oakbank, Whally Range, Manchester, on the 5th instant. Mrs David G Fleming; a daughter.

Leeds Mercury September 25th 1866
Marriages Macfie – Fleming
Sept. 20th at the Presbyterian Church, Grosvenor-square, Manchester, Dugald Macfie, to Agnes, second daughter of the late David Gibson Fleming of Manchester.

London Gazette 19th October 1866
David Gibson Fleming, late of the city of Manchester, and of Whalley Range, near Manchester, in the county of Lancaster, Merchantdied on the 31st August 1862.

Leeds Mercury March 16th 1867
Marriage Beith – Fleming
March 14th at Grosvenor-square Presbyterian Church, Manchester, John Alexr. Beith, to Janet, eldest daughter of the late David Gibson Fleming, Oak Bank, Whalley Range, Manchester.

Times August 11th 1888
On the 9th inst. at West Clandon, in the county of Surrey, Hugh Fenwick Boyd, of the Inner Temple, Barrister-at-law, and youngest surviving son of the late Edward Fenwick Boyd, of Moor House, in the county of Durham, to Lillie, fourth daughter of the late David Gibson Fleming, of Oakbank, Whalley Range, Manchester, and of Mrs Fleming of Tanfield House, West Clandon.

Offline Fransmoi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 31 August 09 14:07 BST (UK) »

Super snippets these but a small correction in the third one.Would you believe the lady's name is Roberton without the 's' and passed down the family.
Anyone need more please go to  http://www.ainslie.org.uk   from whence I gained a lot of the Fleming history.
Cheers, and thanks,
Fransmoi.

Aird,Anderson,
Babington,
Bothwell,
Clark,
Dunford,
Errington,
Fleming,Forrest,
Gerrard,
Kinghorn,
Leslie,Loudon,Lumsden,
Ramsay,Ross ,Rust
Turnbull,
Wallace,Woodman

Offline Elizann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 16 September 10 15:17 BST (UK) »
I have photos from liverpool and Manchester that are connected to the Fleming family.
Any connection with 3 Langton road.
These Flemings are in Cumbria.
Found also postcards from America unused,
Lowe

Offline Fransmoi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 18 September 10 11:40 BST (UK) »

Addresses I'd have to recheck on certificates but this one does not ring bells. Any names I could conjure with ?
Have recently been into the archives and found the oringinal Fleming of Sawmillfield so named for his fight to retain the land against a corrupt official !
Thank you for the offer.
Fransmoi.
Aird,Anderson,
Babington,
Bothwell,
Clark,
Dunford,
Errington,
Fleming,Forrest,
Gerrard,
Kinghorn,
Leslie,Loudon,Lumsden,
Ramsay,Ross ,Rust
Turnbull,
Wallace,Woodman

Offline Michael fleming

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 15 July 11 18:05 BST (UK) »
My name is Michael David Fleming, my father was David Gibson Fleming, the 4th D.G.Fleming after William and Janet. I and my wife have done extensive research into my family and would love to share the Knowledge. I am curious as to why 'The Lost' David Gibson Fleming ? My Father was married to Constance Joan Dunster, His Father D.G.F to Olivia Agnes Railton, you seem to have further back covered. Message me if you would like any more information re the family as a whole.

Regards Michael Fleming

Offline Fransmoi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 15 July 11 20:54 BST (UK) »
This is good news ,Michael. I have found some of the Flemings buried and commemorated in the Glasgow Necropolis and have found descendants too.
Please PM me with your e-mail address so I can invite you to my Ancestry tree and you can show me our link !
The reference to the 'lost'  Fleming may have been regarding the death of one D.G.F. who was listed as having died not at home in Esher but in London.It has been a while since I worked on their line.
(See page 1 of this posting.)
Fransmoi
Aird,Anderson,
Babington,
Bothwell,
Clark,
Dunford,
Errington,
Fleming,Forrest,
Gerrard,
Kinghorn,
Leslie,Loudon,Lumsden,