Author Topic: 'Lost' David Gibson Fleming  (Read 16277 times)

Offline Michael fleming

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 'Lost' David Gibson Fleming
« Reply #27 on: Friday 15 July 11 21:16 BST (UK) »
The 4th David Gibson Fleming was my father and he was not a Chemistry lecturer in scotland.

D. G. F. 3rd born 1879 was a shipping cashier born in Scotland. He  married Olivia Railton in Chorlton Medlock, Lancashire in June 1903. They had 1 son D.G.F. 4th born 01-05-1908. They were living at 32 Bamford road, Didsbury, Lancashire.
D.G.F. 3rd was a Capt 2nd Bat Gordon Highlanders in the first world war, he was decorated by King George the 5th and subsequently promoted to Major 22-12-1921.  We believe that around 1916-17 D.G.F. 3rd left Olivia and went to France to start a new life. this is where things get hazey although the family still had some contact and a trust was set up for Olivia and D.G.F. 4th.( I have a parchment copy of the Fleming trust)

Olivia and my father moved to Hastings where he married my mother Constance Joan Thompson nee Dunster. They had 2 children, my sister Shirley Anne Fleming and myself Michael David Fleming. At the time they were living in Tenterden Kent, my Mothers birthplace. Later we were to live in the Peasemarsh Rye area of sussex . My father passed away 31-05-1997 in Colchester Essex where he had been living with my sister towards the end of his life. My father had a Gentlemans out fitting business.

My Grandmother lived out her days in Beckley sussex, she died in 1972 in Hastings, Sussex

Offline Fransmoi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 15 July 11 21:40 BST (UK) »
Sadly I do not recognise any of these good folk.They are too new to my tree !! My Scottish great grandfather's brother Andrew Ross had a daughter Elizabeth Montgomery Ross b1855 known as Elsie and a bit of a targe I am led to believe ! She married David Gibson Fleming b 1854/55 Whalley Range, Manchester.Their 6 children were born at Ardullie Mains,Kiltearn,Ross-shire the farm having been let originally to her  uncle and aunt Henry and Margaret Montgomery( nee Ross) Sim.They later ranched in mexico with my great uncle John" Iain " Woodman Ross .
This David was the son of David Gibson Fleming and Elizabeth Roberton his second wife.Elsie and DGF had a son also DGF born at Ardullie 14 Apr 1878.Could he be our link ?
You wil find them all at http://www.ainslie.org.uk. I am consumed with curiosity now .Do get back to me.
Fransmoi.
Aird,Anderson,
Babington,
Bothwell,
Clark,
Dunford,
Errington,
Fleming,Forrest,
Gerrard,
Kinghorn,
Leslie,Loudon,Lumsden,
Mackenzie ,MacLeod,McLeod,Milne,Montgomery,
Ramsay,Ross ,Rust
Shields,Sim,Sowden, Stoddart,
Turnbull,
Wallace,Woodman

Offline Michael fleming

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 15 July 11 21:41 BST (UK) »
As far as I know NO DGF's lived in Esher.In 1871 Elizabeth  (Roberton) Fleming was listed as head of house at 31 Whalley road Moss side Manchester. She was married to DGF b.1814, they were married 1848, The children were William Matthew 1851,  Mary 1853,  John G 1858,  Elizabeth 1859, Helen F 1861,  and Isabel M 1862 ,   6 of the 10 children living with her along with a niece May Halley a governess, cook laundress waitress servant and housemaid.

In 1881Basil Roberton Fleming was living at Harbledown lodge Harbledown Kent Head of house with Elizabeth F 1859 (sister) John Gibson Fleming 1858 (brother) and Lucy Fleming (widow of Matthew) aged 27.

!891 Elizabeth was again head of the house at Tanfield West Clandon Surrey age 63 also at this address were Basil R, John G, both of whom were insurance underwriters and Lucy.

1901 Elizabeth still head of house White lodge Esher Surrey age 73. at home Basil R and Mary Moinet nee Fleming 1853 + servants

Offline Michael fleming

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 15 July 11 21:56 BST (UK) »
Yes we have all the Ardullie info and Elsie is my great grandmother, I have her as born in Clonmel Tipperary Ireland 1854/5 her father being Andrew Ross born1824 Milnetown of  New Tarbat Ross-shire, died 4th March1860 Tore house Killearnan Ross-shire and Marianne Gerrard? born1828 N. Ireland. At one time they lived at 11 Victoria place Lancashire, they wer married 29 Feb 1876 at Muthil in Crieff. Andrew Ross 1824- 1860 Tore Mains, Ross-shire died aged 35 chief clerk bank accountant, union bank / farmer.
Listed as married at time of death to 2nd wife Elizabeth, mother to Elizabeth Montgomery Ross.

1st wife Marrianne Gerrard (father Thomas Gerrard, mother Elizabeth of Gibbstown Meath co.
Marrianne and Andrew had Marrianne Jane Ross b. 1853 at Salthill Gallway married at age 30 to John Kingston in Benella Australia 23 Aug 1882. Marrianne Jane states that her mothers name as Marrianne Gerrard on marriage certificate but no marriage certificate found for Andrew Ross and Marrianne Gerrard, maybe not married in Gallway. Maybe Marrianne Gerrard Ross died 1854/5.
As you know Andrew went on to have 6 children with Elsie

Offline Fransmoi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 15 July 11 22:28 BST (UK) »
Yes you have us all ! Andrew was a banker and seems to have had children by two women. Marianne Jane was born in Salthill,Galway about 1852 and her mother was  Marianne Gerrard according to her marriage certificate of 1882 in Australia where she went with her father's widowed sister Anna Ross - Mrs William Young Sim on the ship Bengal in 1871. She had been living with her aged grandfather John Ross and his sister Elizabeth on the farm at Milntown of Newtarbat (Now Kildary),Ross-shire.
I cannot find a marriage for  Ross -Fuller/Muller ? his dtr Elizabeth's mother shown on her marriage to DGF in Muthil .On his death cetificate it coyly states he was married but gives no widow's name ! The family farm at Brealangwell on the Black Isle was lost when grt grandfather George Ross became a victim of the Glasgow Bank crash.He then took over Tore Mains from his brother James Errington Ross who went as factor to Abercairney ,Perthshire.
And on it goes !
Good Hunting,
Fransmoi.
Aird,Anderson,
Babington,
Bothwell,
Clark,
Dunford,
Errington,
Fleming,Forrest,
Gerrard,
Kinghorn,
Leslie,Loudon,Lumsden,
Mackenzie ,MacLeod,McLeod,Milne,Montgomery,
Ramsay,Ross ,Rust
Shields,Sim,Sowden, Stoddart,
Turnbull,
Wallace,Woodman

Offline FLEMING FRANCK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 15 September 13 13:30 BST (UK) »
Hello,

i live in France and I'am looking for my ancestry : David Gibson Fleming born about :1874 and died in 1963.

Regards.

Franck Fleming

Offline FLEMING FRANCK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 15 September 13 13:42 BST (UK) »
Hello,

DGF 3rd was my grand father. When he went to France, he has had a new life. He get married.

Offline FLEMING FRANCK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 15 September 13 13:58 BST (UK) »
When DGf 3rd when to France, he get married with Yvonne Allegre and they have had a child : Max my father, died in 2010.
Before coming to France, DGF 3rd has had a child named : Peggy. She get married and was called : Sylvester. I met her, 15 years ago in Nice south of France.
I am the link between, DGF 3rd english life and her french life.
Several years after (about 12 years i think) he went back to England and nobody get news about him, even Max (to have once more, a new life). I will be pleased to get contact with Michael Fleming. We are at "the same level" in the genealogic tree, Michael Fleming in England, me in France...

Offline Michael fleming

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 19 September 13 20:16 BST (UK) »
Dear Franck, thank you for making contact with me. As you may have guessed my family knew nothing of your existence or that of Peggy. I now have many questions as you probably do too. I am happy to share information with you however I would prefer to do it via e.mail as I too find Roots chat difficult. I guess that makes us cousins of a sort. I think you left your e.mail address on one of the messages 'tag210' etc if this is incorrect then maybe you can let me know. I will endeavour to contact you shortly.

Regards
Michael Fleming