Author Topic: Wybunbury Graves  (Read 7149 times)

Offline suee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Wybunbury Graves
« on: Friday 16 June 06 13:48 BST (UK) »
Hi
As quite a few of my ansesters came from the Wybunbury area, i thought i would go and visit the church yard to see if i could find any of my family buried there.
They have masses of old graves, but i cannot tell you how upset i was the graves them selves are buried in 6ft of grass and nettles.  :'(
Can anyone tell me is this because they are unsafe or just that there is no one to maintain it.
Has there ever been any Memorial inscriptions taken there.
Upset to think that people are buried there >:(
Very upset
Suee
staffordshire, plants,cottons,woodcocks,bailey,timmis
cheshire, woodcocks timmis,dale,bailey

Offline peterbennett

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Samuel if ever an Ag Lab looked like one it was he
    • View Profile
Re: Wybunbury Graves
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 June 06 16:00 BST (UK) »
Hi

I believe the Crewe FHS have done the MI's at Wybunbury.

http://www.scfhs.org.uk/scfhs/wybunbury_mi.html

good luck

peterbennett
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br />www.NationalArchives.gov.uk <br />Cheshire BMD  www.cheshirebmd.org.uk/ <br />Cheshire Wills database http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/recordoffice/wills/Search.htm<br />Cheshire family history society  www.fhsc.org.uk/<br />Cheshire Records Office http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/Recordoffice/aboutus/recoffcontact.tm<br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Bennett/,Whaley,Chesh/Lancs, Brindley Staffs

Offline suee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 June 06 21:09 BST (UK) »
Peter
Thanks for your help, i will send for a copy.
Its nice to no the inscriptsions have been taken, must of taken ages to do.
Still think iam going to have to get my strimmer out  ;D
Suee

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 June 06 21:38 BST (UK) »
Some of my ancestors came from there. Name Mates/Meates and various spellings. Pre 1756. I'm not very happy about that graveyard :(

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Elliebob

• RootsChat Senior
  • Maggie Wright 1889-1949
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 June 06 22:36 BST (UK) »
I have no family from Wybunbury, but I was born there.  My parents were living in Alsager at the time.  I was born in a nursing home called The Cliffe.  I was told some years ago that it was a night club later. Does anyone know for sure what happened please?

Ellen
Court, Stratford on Avon, Dorsington, Welford<br />Faulkner,Glos/Warwicks<br />Higgins, Quinton<br />Bennett, Stoke on Trent<br />Stride, Hampshire<br />Wright, Stoke on Trent<br />McConnell, Co Donegal<br />Brooks, Co Donegal, Antrim<br />Jackson, Warwickshire/Isle of Wight/India/army<br />Keefe, Essex, Hampshire/Isle of Wight/army/india<br, Queensland aus. />Chatfield, Sussex

Offline Jayson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 20 June 06 19:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Suee

It's me, Jayson.  You helped me regarding Martha Bayley's memorial tablet at Madeley.

The churchyard at Wybunbury - the old part - has been partly transcribed by the Crewe FHS.  They started this project a few years back but for various reasons (ill health being one of them) it was never completed.  I was put in touch with a chap called Mike Grose and he gave me a plan of the old churchyard.  Only the modern churchyard down the road has been transcribed and published.

I have volunteered my services to transcribe the remaining part of the churchyard.  I'm doing this on my own and as you can imagine it is a difficult task.  It would be nice if somebody was there helping me to do it.

With regard to the state of the churchyard; I'm afraid it's all down to money at the end of the day.  And it's money the diocese doesn't have to spare.  Best time to see the stones is in the winter when all the weeds have all died.

The Church Tower is owned and looked after by the Tower Trust and they are responsible for maintaining the Tower & the grass-y area where the body of the church once stood.  A campaign was launched back in the 1980s to save the tower from demolition.  Sometime after this the Tower needed extensive underping to prevent its collapse - thankfully it was successful.

I'm very familiar with the old churchyard and can have a look for an old grave. 

Best - Jayson

Oh! with regard to Elliebob's query regarding The Cliffe.  It did at one time belong to the Baronets of Doddington Hall (the Delves-Broughton family) in Wybunbury.  However, I'm not sure who owns the property now.   

"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline suee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 21 June 06 16:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Jayson
It was very good of you to volonteer yourself it must be a very difficult task especialy with the condition it is in.
They have done a great job saving the tower.
My husband and myself do have to work some weekends, but not all.
So any time you need a hand just ask, we will help anytime.
Hubby is quite good with a petrol strimmer as well. :)
He may not thank me for saying that.
You never know you may get some other volenteers with help. ;D
suee

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 21 June 06 20:41 BST (UK) »
Jayson - super of you to offer. If there are any Mates/Meates/variations, I'd be eternally grateful :)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Jayson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 23 June 06 16:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget

Do you have the details of the people you're interested in? What are the dates of death as there are two churchyards in Wybunbury.

Jayson
"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"