Author Topic: My Elusive Sophia  (Read 4525 times)

Offline atth2o

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
My Elusive Sophia
« on: Sunday 24 October 04 21:31 BST (UK) »
I seem to have a great great great grandmother that just likes to hide.  Every time I find something new about her, her name is spelled differently.  To top things off, she seemed to move around a lot.  I think I have struck the top of my family tree as I can't seem to find where she was born.  If anyone can help, I would appreciate your insite or any lookups in the future places I will mention.  If she is not found, I can at least mark off any places that you may search for me.

This is what I know:

Sophia ATWATER
Born about 1784 (1851 Census)
Birth Location stated as Borden, Kent but searched by the Sittingbourne Library and no birth found.
1804 - Had a son named Marshal Atwater in Borden, Kent
1806 - Married George GOODWIN in Rainham, Kent - April 21, 1806 (Surname spelled Hatwater)
1807 - Rainham, Kent
1810 - Chatham, Kent
1813 - Chatham, Kent
1815 - Gillingham, Kent
1818 - Gillingham, Kent
1821 - Chatham, Kent
1825 - Cuxton, Kent
1827 - Milton Regis, Kent
1841 - Sittingbourne, Kent
Died April 13, 1851 - Sittingbourne, Kent

Sophia must have been born in the Milton or Medway area as she seems to have stuck around the area.  Spelling variations for the surname are too numerous to list.  If it sounds anything like ATWATER, it probably is one.  Variations of WATER and WALTERS are also offshoots of the surname.

The only possible birth entry that I have been able to find is located in Rodmersham:  1784, 02/29 - Sophia Daughter of WALTERS, Mary.  No father listed.  Go figure. :'(  And February 29th  ???  My luck! (This came from a KFHS CD so I have not looked at an actual entry)

Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thank you.   ;)

Attwater - Kent & London England (All spelling variations)
Goodwin - Kent & London England
Cronin - Ontario & Ireland
Clancy - Peter Robinson Expedition - Ontario, Canada & Rockmills, Cork, Ireland
Kenneally - Ontario, Canada & Ireland
Redmond - Ontario, Canada & Ireland
Shepley - Ontario, Canada & Lancashire, England