Author Topic: Coyle - Tonaghmore - Tithe Books?  (Read 3338 times)

Offline juneoates1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Coyle - Tonaghmore - Tithe Books?
« on: Saturday 17 June 06 15:34 BST (UK) »
My great-grandfather Philip Coyle was originally from Tonaghmore in the parish of St. Feighins.  I think his mother was Ann Masterson, father Thomas Coyle.  Philip was born 1833.  Do you think it would be possible for me to obtain a baptismal certificate for Philip and who would I write to?  Or could anybody look up the name Coyle in the Tithe Books?
COYLE, CLEARY - Tonashammer, Hilltown, County Westmeath. Ireland.
CONNELL, GIBNEY, WRIGHT - Ballyjamesduff, Dungimmon, County Caven, Ireland.
OATES, CARR - Rotherham/Swinton, Yorkshire

Offline ajmasterson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Coyle - Tonaghmore - Tithe Books?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 December 22 12:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi There, tithe books are available free to view at the link below, I even popped in Masterson for you. We would be very distantly related, possibly, if Anna was a daughter of the Tonashammer Mastersons.

http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/search/tab/results.jsp?surname=masterson&firstname=&county=Westmeath&parish=&townland=&search=Search

Rootsweb.ie is a good place to find baptismal records but be aware, certificates are impossible to have as they are not available.

Kind regards, Allan 

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 December 22 03:11 GMT (UK) »
Collinstown RC parish register, right page, second entry up from bottom:
https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000635116#page/118/mode/1up

23 Bd Philip S of Thos Coyle and Anne Masterson Sp James Fitzpatrick and Judith Sheridan
(23 February 1833, baptised Philip son of Thomas Coyle and Anne Masterson, sponsors James Fitzpatrick and Judith Sheridan)

There are also baptisms in the same parish for this named couple in respect of sons Patrick (1826), Thomas (1829), Mathew (1831), Bryan (1835), and John (1838).

Same parish, here is the marriage entry for this couple, the top of the left page:
https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000635115#page/40/mode/1up

13th Md Thomas Coyle and Anne Masterson Wit. Simon Hughes Jas Masterson and Mary Nasterson (13th February 1822, married Thomas Coyle and Anne Masterson, witnesses Simon Hughes, James Masterson and Mary Masterson)

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 December 22 07:43 GMT (UK) »
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline juneoates1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 December 22 10:00 GMT (UK) »
Firstly I was absolutely amazed at getting answers to my question a whole 16 years after I put the question on  ;D

Thank you so much for this information - I shall be retiring in 6 months and cannot wait to get back into my family history.  I will get back to you when I've had time to digest this information.  Thank you again.
COYLE, CLEARY - Tonashammer, Hilltown, County Westmeath. Ireland.
CONNELL, GIBNEY, WRIGHT - Ballyjamesduff, Dungimmon, County Caven, Ireland.
OATES, CARR - Rotherham/Swinton, Yorkshire

Offline ajmasterson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 February 23 13:13 GMT (UK) »
My great-grandfather Philip Coyle was originally from Tonaghmore in the parish of St. Feighins.  I think his mother was Ann Masterson, father Thomas Coyle.  Philip was born 1833.  Do you think it would be possible for me to obtain a baptismal certificate for Philip and who would I write to?  Or could anybody look up the name Coyle in the Tithe Books?

I am fairly certain that Anne was the daughter of Laurence (married in 1792 to Ann Cullin). Anne was born in 1803. Laurence is my great, great, great, great Grandfather.

Kind regards,

Allan