Author Topic: WW1 Medal Meanings  (Read 3158 times)

Offline shearg

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
WW1 Medal Meanings
« on: Saturday 17 June 06 21:21 BST (UK) »
I recieved an Uncle's War Medal printout but have no idea what the writings after each medal means(the POLL) so if anyone knows I would really appreciate the help.

MEDAL                  POLL                     PAGE
Victory                  F/103-B-15             2754
British                    80                          80

SWB List  F/A/1024

Is it possible to learn more about this man through the above info and if so how?

shearg
Lincolnshire: Shearwood, Dudding, Westoby, Brocklesby, Mann, Sanderson, Smith, Marris,Borrill, Bristow, Brown, Clark, Dunwell, Leverton, Sergeant, Naylor, Schofield,

Offline harribobs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: WW1 Medal Meanings
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 June 06 21:28 BST (UK) »

what you have got is a medal INDEX card, it's an index to a medal ROLL (not poll)

your uncle was entitled to the Victory and British War Medal, he was also badly wounded and was awarded the silver wound(or war) badge

the letters and numbers f/103-B-15 and f/a/1024 are the actual rolls where his details, the 80's are ditto marks

:D  clear??

chris

Offline shearg

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 June 06 22:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks Chris for making it clear for me. If I understand then correctly if I go to the National Archives and ask to search Rolls f/103-B-15 and f/a/024 I should lfind more info on him. Can I also use the above to search for his service records or does that have to be done a different way

Thanks for the help,
shearg
Lincolnshire: Shearwood, Dudding, Westoby, Brocklesby, Mann, Sanderson, Smith, Marris,Borrill, Bristow, Brown, Clark, Dunwell, Leverton, Sergeant, Naylor, Schofield,

Offline harribobs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 June 06 22:48 BST (UK) »

the references are just for the medal rolls not his service records

they look like this

Offline shearg

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 June 06 23:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Chris and for the picture but it looks like it is not the service records I'm after.

I guess what I should ask is:

We are trying to find some way to make sure this man is our great uncle. The name is right but we were hoping to find somewhere on his army records, of any kind, that gives some personal information about him such as his age, his parents name's, where he was born, next of kin, address, where he enlisted, etc.

We know for sure his full name, when & where born, his parents name's as well as his sibling's names.

We  believe we found him on the National Achives by his name, his regiment,name, number and rank as well as his Medal Index card but we would like to prove this is the same man.

We were told he died in WW1 so it's important to establish if this is the same person. Albert does not show up as a casualty on the War Grave Site by this regt. number.

Again any help greatly appreciated,
Thanks,
shearg

Offline harribobs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 June 06 00:04 BST (UK) »

:)  no it is the service records you are after...what i have shown you is the medal rolls

BUT!  we are going around the houses here

post what you know about your uncle and lets see what  we can find out about him

chris

Offline shearg

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 June 06 00:40 BST (UK) »
This is what we know:

His name was Albert Ernest Sanderson,
born on Oct 22 1896 in Faldingworth, Lincs
Parents were Charles William & Amy Sanderson nee Smith
They were living on St. John Street in Worksop, Nottinghamshire where his mother died in 1909 & his father re-married an Emily Foster in 1910 and his father then died in 1911.

Albert  and a sister were put into a Child's Home or Workhouse in Worksop after the father's  deaths while his younger sister went to live with her grandparents, Isaac & Amy Smith in Binbrook, Lincs.

From the National Archives we found
Albert Ernest Sanderson
Private #63060 in the Nott. & Derby Regiment

From that information I ordered the Medal Index Card and included that info in my first posting.

Hope this helps find him,
Thanks,
shearg

Offline harribobs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 18 June 06 01:02 BST (UK) »

well i've done a some searches on every sanderson variation and i can't find him in 'soldiers died'

are you sure he was killed in WW1?  is there a variation of the surname i should look for?

Offline liverpool annie

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 18 June 06 01:06 BST (UK) »

What about this one Chris ??

In Memory of

Private A SANDERSON

2261, 1st/1st, Nottinghamshire Yeomanry (Sherwood Rangers)

who died

on 24 September 1916

Remembered with honour

STRUMA MILITARY CEMETERY

Annie
Cooper : Muels : Howarth : Every : Price : King

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407030702/http://www.freewebs.com/liverpoolannie

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407191115/http://manchestersoldiers.webs.com

http://web.archive.org/web/20130807102055/http://www.powv.webs.com/
Be who you are and say what you feel -  because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind ! Dr. Seuss

Erect no gravestone .... let the Rose every year bloom for his sake ! Rilke Sonnets to Orpheus, I