Author Topic: Marriage- John Mills to Elizabeth Hook abt 1845  (Read 3400 times)

Offline Colin 123

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage- John Mills to Elizabeth Hook abt 1845
« on: Sunday 18 June 06 00:40 BST (UK) »
 ??? I am looking for the marriaage of John Mills (b.1821) of Roxburghshire to Elizabeth Hook (b.1824) of Wooler.  John was a shepherd in the Cheviots but they lived in Broughton, Lincolnshire when their first two children were born (Mary Jane 1848 and Thomas 1850 ). The family immigrated to Scarborough, Canada about 1851 but later took up farming in the Melancthon area of Ontario. Elizabeths parents were James & Mary Hook of Doddington Parish and Elizabeth was baptized in Wooler Parish. She had older brothers James (b Oct 5 1815) and John (b. Dec.4, 1812)
I am hoping the marriage document may give us the names of Johns parents. John had a brother William (b. 1831) in Roxburghshire (Parish unknown). THere may also have been another brother who immigrated to the USA. Any help will be appreciated.
Mills of Rox,, Hook of Northumberland, Webster of Angus and Kincardine,, Low  of Angus & Kincardine

Offline HomesteadMommy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage- John Mills to Elizabeth Hook abt 1845
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 October 10 19:52 BST (UK) »
I was searching to see if anyone was researching the Mills family from the Melancthon and Proton area of Ontario.
My Mills family is from that area as well.  I have a James Mills b 1823 in England (Hampshire?), siblings that I know of, James, Samuel, William, Jane, Ange Elizabeth, Joseph and Mary. Parents were William Mills and Jane Newland or Elizabeth.  Not sure if Elizabeth is part of Jane's name of if William was married twice.
James was married twice.  First to Elizabeth, then to Margret Stinson in 1951.

If you think there might be a connection, I'd be happy to share info with you.
Thanks,
Kim

Offline Sunlaws

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 October 10 13:43 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am sorry I can't help with the marriage of John MILLS and Elizabeth HOOK which, if it took place in England would certainly give you the name of John's father.

Taking up the clue of William born 1831, I found a William aged 9 in the 1841 census, living with his family in Swinsidehall in Oxnam parish. head of household is Thomas, 50, an ag lab, and there is also Jane, 40, Sarah 14, Margaret, 12 and Thomas, 3.

In 1851 at Crookhouse, Linton parish, there is Thomas, 65, ag lab born in Eckford, Jane 55, born in Morebattle, and Thomas 13, also born in Morebattle.

The names of this couple fit well with the names of John and Elizabeth's children.

Have you found John Mills on the 1851 census? It's just that at Mainside in Hownam parish in the Cheviots in 1851 there is a John Mills aged 29, described as a shepherd, born Eckford. He is listed as being married, but there is no wife or children with him. The census was taken in 1851 around lambing time- perhaps he had returned to Roxburghshire knowing extra labour would be needed, to raise money for the planned emigration? The birthplace of this John also sits well with the couple Thomas and Jane. (All the above named parishes are very close or adjacent to each other, by the way.)
Regards,
Lesley
Bradley, Gledhill, Dodson, Norcliffe, Kaye, Matthewman- all Berry Brow/Almondbury
Webster- Northowram
Brick wall: Maria Blaymires  c 1800 Northowram

Offline millsgang4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 February 11 03:57 GMT (UK) »
HomesteadMommy/Kim

I'm working on the same line from Melancthon in Ontario.  I would love to get whatever info you have.  James Mills is my great-great-grandfather.

Thanks,
Bruce

Offline millsgang4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 February 11 04:16 GMT (UK) »
HomesteadMommy / Kim:

I need to post 3 times to send you a PM.  Hopefully this is #2.

Bruce

Offline millsgang4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 February 11 04:18 GMT (UK) »
HomesteadMommy / Kim:

I need to post 3 times to send you a PM.  Hopefully this is #3.

Bruce