Author Topic: Birth Certificate  (Read 6200 times)

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Birth Certificate
« Reply #18 on: Monday 19 June 06 18:12 BST (UK) »
As a point of information

Duelling was illegal ever since it first began in England in the 16th century. A death that resulted from a duel was regarded as murder.

There is this death and PCC will, but a long way from Somerset and before Eleanor's baptism in Kent

Deaths Jun 1848
Green  John Harry    Staines  3 259

Will of John Harry Green of Staines , Middlesex
Date 12 July 1848
Catalogue reference PROB 11/2078 

Coverage charts for deaths on FreeBMD for the GRO index, indicate complete coverage from 1846 to September quarter 1849. December quarter 1849 nearly complete. 1850 first three quarters complete. December quarter 1850 two thirds complete. March quarter 1851 nearly complete and June quarter complete. So very few deaths between 1846 and 1851 June quarter still to come. Watchet Somerset should register in Williton registration district.

As far as I know Shotwick parish registers have no coverage on the IGI (according to my Phillimores Atlas)

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Vesta

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 19 June 06 19:56 BST (UK) »
Gasalguidi & Valda.
1. The duel is supposed to have taken place in 1835/6. John Harry then laid low in France for 2yrs
The date I have for his marriage is 1838-- I presume in Norfolk.  This info came from two totally different family sources 300 odd miles apart & do not know each other.

2.  I have just looked at the London Street Atlas, Grafton St is near New Bond St. BUT John Harry is supposed to have owned 6 York St St. James's before his marriage. A number of the family lived right in central London--- & I know that others let out their properties,to provide income. This could be the case why he is there at times & not at others.

Thanks all of you
vesta

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 19 June 06 23:33 BST (UK) »
FreeBMD according to their coverage charts has complete coverage of GRO marriages for the year 1838. No Beaumont marriages at all in Norfolk and for Beaumont marriages across the country no Emilys or Sophias. No Emily Sophia or Sophia Emily 'any surname' for 1838 either. Nothing for the surname Beaumont on the IGI either for Norfolk for 1838 but Bramerton has no coverage on the IGI (where the Beaumont family was living on the 1841 census). Bramerton is in Henstead registration district. Approximately 110 marriages are recorded in Henstead registration district for 1838 on FreeBMD - nothing looks remotely likely.

You can see FreeBMD coverage charts for marriages for yourself at

http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/progressM.shtml

almost complete coverage July 1837- 1843.

The eldest known child for the couple was Henry 'Bernard' with a birth year of circa 1844 (from the 1851 and 1861 censues).

The other children's births were all registered.

Births Dec 1846
Green  Harriet Augusta    Eastbourne  7 347

If you killed someone fairly prominent in a duel, which was treated under the law as a capital offence, I'm not sure laying low in France for a couple of years and then returning under an assumed name, but being relatively easy to find, would necessarily stop the inevitable process of the law?

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Vesta

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 20 June 06 16:04 BST (UK) »
Valda
Thanks for your comments & searches.  I agree with what you say. I had searched unsuccessfully for the marriage myself.
I have now been shown the notes of John Harry's Grandson made about 1900 & the story goes as I wrote it. I suppose it is just possible that John Harry & Emily Sophia lived together & may even have married at a later date, or another possibilty is that she changed her name by "deedpoll"--- I have come across this before.  I have just checked the birth Cert of Edward 2nd son of J.H.& E.S. &
the mothers name is given as Sophia Green FORMERLY Beaumont.  Maybe I will never quite solve this, but everyone has been very kind & helpful.
Thanks Vesta

Offline CatOne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 20 June 06 16:31 BST (UK) »
Death? John Harry Green June 1848 Staines Middlesex Vol 3 Page 259

oops just seen this above  ::)
Dunning/Downing, Osborn/e, Astley -Cheshire/Birmingham/Middlesex
Fanthorpe/Hall/Driffill/Storm - Lincolnshire
Bower/Woodward/Bingham/Pettinger/Shaw - Nottinghamshire
Shaw, Marland - Lancashire